Sega CD SRAM cart?

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by ASSEMbler, Aug 28, 2010.

1. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Krikzz can you make a sega cd cart that will have permanent saves to sd?

Like a stripped down everdrive?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2010
  2. link83

link83 Enthusiastic Member

I was just wondering the exact same thing! I am pretty sure the standard Everdrive-MD can do it with just a firmware/OS upgrade, expecially since both the MegaCart and the NEO Myth MD can do it.

I put some info about the Sega CD Backup RAM Cart in this post:-
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=425432#post425432
    Its probably the last 'big' feature I would like to see implimented on the Everdrive-MD.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  3. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

cd sram loading/backup on SD will be implemented in future OS

4. antinull

antinull Rising Member

AWESOME
    my on board saves don't store anymore
    gotta change the battery methinks

5. WaverBoy

WaverBoy Active Member

Will there also be an upgrade that will make Sega CD roms work on US Model 1 Genesis machines?

6. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

you mean run CD images without cd unit? it is impossible if so

7. WaverBoy

WaverBoy Active Member

I'm sorry, I meant to ask, will there be an upgrade that will make Sega CD roms work on US Model 1 Genesis machines with Sega CD unit attached? That's the setup I have, but people are saying that Sega CD bios won't work on the EverDrive with that setup.

8. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

They're not ROMS, they're disk images. I don't know why but the misuse of that name irritates me to no end.

Just burn the images to CD-R and boot it like normal. The EverDrive wouldn't ever use the SegaCD bios as it's not a game to be played.

9. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

They're images of compact discs, not diskettes. That irritates me to no end :p

10. WaverBoy

WaverBoy Active Member

Then I'm confused, as this is specifically mentioned in KRIKzz's description on his site:

What function does that serve then, on the systems on which the SEGA-CD bios loading works?

11. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

if it work then you can run E disk on U system, or U disk E system or attach E cd unit to US system etc

edit: I will return to cd-bios loading function improvement when snes cart will be finished

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  12. WaverBoy

WaverBoy Active Member

You mean the function is that, if it worked, it would allow me to play a Japanese Sega CD in my American Sega CD player?

13. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

right!

14. WaverBoy

WaverBoy Active Member

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. I thought you meant that if it worked, you could load the SD card up with Sega CD >disc images< and be able to play them.

Are there any good CD games that were only released in Japan?

15. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

That feature would be nice for Mega-LD games though, assuming someone could/would/has ripped them. Probably have to tap the data lines coming out of the laser on a LaserActive to get it or something. Never seen a Laserdisc capable of dumping data or even connecting to a PC over something faster than serial.

The only game that springs to mind would be Sonic CD due to the music but honestly you don't need to use the Japanese version unless you like it authentic. Just rip the disc's data track and create a cue file to burn it with the Japanese music. Problem solved.

16. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

Since Mega-LD games run off the MD, it should be possible to dump the game data with much less work by decoding some transfer code (RS232 HW is built in) to an unused address space, decoding in a new reset vector (override the bus just one time), and soft reset after the game is running. It could even be done without any modifications to the system. It would even be easier to just modify the BIOS, if possible. In that case you could just add in the transfer code at reset, then trampoline to the real vector if commanded to.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  17. WaverBoy

WaverBoy Active Member

Wow, I've never even heard of Mega laserdisc games.

18. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Calpis you make me very tempted to go splurge on a Laseractive and some Mega-LD titles. I used to have the Japanese module for it some time ago, wonder where I put it...

19. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

[​IMG]

LaserActive also had a TG-16 module. I would do a lot of research on YouTube for videos of Mega-LD games before even thinking of buying that system. I've played a few of the games myself, and they're not very fun. One was a space shooter where you can't tell if the asteroids flying around are actual objects you can crash into or not.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  20. Humbug

Humbug Newly Registered

How is this done?

If I have a game inside the megaCD, without a cart in the MD, it loads the CD, but if I put the everdrive in, it loads the everdrive... so how do you start the megaCD when the everdrive is in?