Sega CD Model 1 Helical/Worm Screw Fix/Replacement

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Brad_83, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Brad_83

Brad_83 Blast Power Away!!!!

Hi Everyone,

I am currently restoring a Sega CD Model 1 and the last piece I need is a working worm gear to raise the sled up. The one I have is missing a tooth and keeps slipping.

If anyone has anyone advice on how to fix the tooth or could help in a replacement I would be very appreciative.

Thank you

Shane McRetro likes this.
  2. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Rip open some old try mount CD drives.. You might get lucky :)

Post a picture of the part :)

Shane McRetro likes this.
  3. Brad_83

Hi LeHaM, thanks for replying. Here are some pics and I'll try and find a cdrom match 20160731_151846.jpg 20160801_071502.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  4. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

you could rebuild the broken tooth then make a mold and cast a whole new part with resin. As this is just to raise the pickup sled, I don't think it has to be super accurate...

5. Brad_83

Thanks for the suggestion, I could try to rebuild, haven't done it before but I'm sure it couldn't be too hard. I'm hoping to still get a replacement though as this would be the easiest option. I could also just buy a whole new tray mechanism but I'll see what happens

6. Ashevent

Ashevent Site Supporter 2015

Exact same problem here and can't find a replacement anywhere and never really worked with molding new parts. Sucks too because everything else seems to be functional.

Anyone know if that part has a exact name or part#..can't even find that out to help me search.

Brad_83 likes this.
  7. weldedale

weldedale <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Brad_83 likes this.
  8. Ashevent

Oops sorry. I meant I have the same problem, in that my screw cylinder (pictured above by brad_83) is damaged and I was looking for a new one. The rest of my laser assembly works, it's that darn cylinder screw that raises and lowers the assy. Luckily it's not a gear tooth like brad's but a big divot that's bore out. Currently trying to fix with epoxy, I was just hoping there was a replacement part for it.

Brad_83 likes this.
  9. Brad_83

Thanks Weldedale, I have purchased the same part too, just waiting for it to arrive. I'm glad they are still available. Thanks for your help.

10. Brad_83

Hi Ashevent, like Weldedale has mentioned, you can buy the whole assembly and swap out the entire unit. Which is great, as you will be replacing all the moving parts which are over 20 years old with a new system. I am currently doing a restoration project on the Sega CD which you can follow at http://assemblergames.com/l/threads...d-model-1-repair-adventure.62652/#post-897764. At post 14 I have the service manual for the unit as well as the part number 2-626-005-(03) CAM (G). Thank you

11. Ashevent

I realize i'm probably missing something very easy and going to look extremely dim but...How does replacing the unit fix the problem with the helix screw that raises and lowers the unit? That screw is part of the console not the drive from what I can see. I checked out the drive unit listed and didn't see that part. It seems very "sega" only.

Or does the new unit bypass needing the screw altogether? For now i've epoxied the divot in the screw and am putting it back today but love the idea of a new unit altogether.

IMG_5809.JPG

12. Brad_83

Great work on the repair Ashevent, hopefully, it will raise and lower the sled properly.

To answer your question, the sega cd model 1 uses a second generation, consumer grade cd player, not a cd-rom, which was used in other cd players for the day. The screw in question, is part of the cd mechanism which was designed by Sony and not Sega. So the part in the link is the whole mechanism without the pcb board, the screw that you fixed is part of the unit, you just cannot see it in the pictures.

Good luck

13. Ashevent

@Brad_83

Thanks so much for the clarification, I really appreciate it

14. Ashevent

Well, I put the repaired screw back in and..nothing. Everything comes up on screen when I turn on, the screen says "hit reset to open tray" so I do and...nothing happens.

you don't hear anything inside the unit trying to move, then the screen says "put a disc in the tray". So the unit think s the tray is open even when it's not. Sounds like maybe there's no power at all going to the drive? Just wondering if it's a fried capacitor or something on the board. Anyone else have this trouble? Now i'm worried that buying a whole new drive would be a waste.

15. Brad_83

Bugger, that sucks.

Have you made sure the ribbon cable from the main motherboard to the drive motherboard is secure and the small white power cable from the drive motherboard to the drive motor is secure?

If it's not getting any power I would check these first.

16. Ashevent

Yes, and I just ran it with the cover off..the drive isn't even spinning. So basically there's either no power to the drive or the drive is dead. I checked all ribbon and wire connections, everything powers on, lights etc..just absolutely nothing from the drive. I aligned the drive to make sure the gear on top of helix screw hits the switch on drive when it's closed etc. Hate to buy a new drive if there's no power to it and and not the drive itself. I can't see it being the ribbon..those don't really go bad generally do they?

17. Ashevent

So since it's still broken the guy gave me the Sega CD for $10. Now I'm thinking i may as well buy a new laser assembly and hope that works. Is the one listed on alieexpress mentioned still the best way to go? and if i'm reading this right, I just need to swap the pcb's on bottom of old one with new. Sorry, i'm getting a little out of my depth on this one.

18. Brad_83

Hey Ashevent,

I have just finished repairing the worm screw on mine and it works a charm. You can purchase the one I have from the thread my Sega CD repair thread. It cost me around $16 USD in total.

I would suggest with what you are experiencing, that a recap would not be out of the question, they can cause strange things to happen. It could also be a broken trace, I suppose try the new laser and sled and see what happens. Good luck

Bearking likes this.
  19. Ashevent

20. weldedale

weldedale <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

No modding was needed, its the same basic design. It just has a different revision laser and pcb. Although it is necessary to desolder the electric motors from the pcb's in order to swap them.

Brad_83 likes this.