[SEARCH] Pinout diagram Nintendo S-VIDEO NTSC cable

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Pad17, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Pad17

Pad17 Rapidly Rising Member

Hello everyone, happy to come back here! (My English is not perfect yet)

Having the pleasure to have received the Randnet Delivery Kit with the 64DD and the Japanese N64 Clear Black, I want to have the best image quality possible (without the modification for the RGB, I already have a French N64 modded RGB ^^ ) ; I have an unofficial S-VIDEO cable of average quality (there is a "checkerboard" effect), and I wanted to know if there is a way to modify this cable (which I imagine, must not be properly connected to ground).

So I'm looking for a pinout diagram of the official Nintendo S-VIDEO NTSC cable to compare with my low quality cable (I would like to change an official Nintendo composite cable into a SVIDEO cable, is it possible?). I already read this topic (https://assemblergames.com/threads/noise-on-nintendo-64-pal-s-video-cables.39894/) but it's for a modded PAL console.

Thank you

2. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Robust Member

3. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

> I would like to change an official Nintendo composite cable into a SVIDEO cable, is it possible?
    That depends mostly on wether the connector on the console side has contacts for the pins you need. Since those contacts can cost up to ~$.0002 they're sometimes left out. If the Ninty one doesn't work out, you could reuse just the connector from the unofficial cable.

4. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Some of the cheap S-Video cables I checked, the Luma and Chroma signal were tied onto composite pin on Nintendo end. You would need to hack open the connector (if it's not fused), rewire them for correct pinout and separate Y and C wire. You may need to sacrifice an extra Nintendo clone cable for the pin as mine had only 4 pins: L audio, R audio, composite, and ground.
    [​IMG]
    Hope this is the one you're looking for.

5. Pad17

Thank you so much for all your replies !! I will try it quickly and I keep you informed :)

6. Pad17

So, I just disassemble my unofficial S-Video cable: Chroma and Luma are well separated on their respective pins! This cable was unshielded, so I took a simple S-Video cable that I welded in place of the old one: there is no difference on-screen, I have a slobbering image (with Dull colors and artifacts). Is that from my TV? Indeed, my TV does not have an S-VIDEO male connector, I use an S-VIDEO to SCART adapter.