Screen capturing from retro game consoles

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by 8bitplus, Nov 21, 2018.

1. 8bitplus

8bitplus Gutsy Member

Hello. Currently I'm taking screenshots from my CRT TV to use on my site using a smartphone.
    Its a pain in the ass to make stable photo captures, and most times I have to adjust the camera settings manually. I'm very rarely happy with the result.
    I was wondering of anyone can recommend a RGB compatible capture device for use on a laptop.
    It would have to support PAL and NTSC, and resolutions from 240p to 480i. 50/60Hz.
    Basically screen capture from anything from PC Engine to Dreamcast consoles.
    Scart connectivity would be best.
    Any ideas?

2. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

No capture card is going to have direct SCART that Ive seen.

My recommendation is the Micomsoft sc-512n1-l/dvi or one of its clones. The real deal is nice because it has passthrough.

This will do Composite, S-Video, RGB, Component, VGA and HDMI. RGB and up will do 240p (linedoubled), so no interlacing artifacts.

For RGB though, youll need a simple sync stripper, I bought some cheap homebrew one that works perfectly. Takes SCART in and puts it out the VGA connector (sorry, brain not working properly for its actual name).

It'll do 240p on those connections, 480i on composite and s-video, and up to 1080p60 on HDMI, so if you choose to buy an external scaler you are set.

3. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

For any video captures I like the AJA IO going FireWire into my G5 with Final Cut Pro

4. Shane Battye

Shane Battye Spirited Member

Another option may be an OSSC line doubler (SCART input) which you could output via HDMI into an Elgato HD60 S or something similar.

5. dakidski

dakidski Retro Gaming Denmark

I use a HD recorder. It records to harddisk. Then I burn it as DVD-R. And then I copy the .vob-files to Windows and upload them to Youtube. This seems to be a somewhat common method for retro capturing on the cheap.

See example here:

6. 8bitplus

8bitplus Gutsy Member

Thanks for the reply's, that's been quite helpful.
    @Borman I'll investigate the Micomsoft sc-512n1-l/dvi

@dakidski I might have an old HDD recorder, so I'll try and dig it out.