Saturn Shenmue

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by ShenJew, Nov 24, 2005.

1. madhatter256

madhatter256 Illustrious Member

Damn thats 3 posts in a row lol.

Anyway, By watching that video, the game must have required some sort of addon. I doubt the saturn by itself can push that many polygons, plus detail all at once and keep it above 25fps.

Sonic Xtreme has nothing over this. If someone were to get a hold of a workind demo of saturn shenmue, that is probably the true holy grail of obscure unreleased videogames, as well as VF3.

2. Lol... I hear ya. Both Anthaemia and Sayin999 both had good posts there, I absolutely love my Saturn (hell, I love anything Sega). But try and format your posts into paragraphs or something the equivalent. After staring at spreadsheets for 8 hours today, my eyes kinda go googly after reading posts like those. No offense guys...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2005
  3. I wouldn't go so far as to doubt the power of the Saturn. It was a really powerful system, but almost no one was able to utilize it properly. Most developers couldn't handle programming for the dual SH2's so they settled on only using one processor. Most developers that were actually programming for the dual processors were still only able to tap the equivalent of about a 1/3rd extra power out of the system versus running off of only one processor. If Sega was actually able to take full advantage of both processors running in conjunction with each other, I really wouldn't doubt that the level of graphics that we have seen in the videos was possible.

4. Micjohvan

Micjohvan Familiar Face

I agree with kingofthelobster. The saturn had alot of extra untapped horsepower. I think it would be possable to for the saturn to push that load.

Maybe sega had some sort of trick to is as rare did when they found out how to use 24bit animation on the snes (16bit) im of course refering to DK country.

5. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

thanks king of the lobster, sorry bout that i tend to go into long detail when talking about history of a subject or when i have a strong opinion, didnt know my long posting was catching on.

6. It's cool, I'm the exact same way when I get going about something. Didn't mean to seem like I was giving you a hard time or anything.

By the way, the picture in your signature cracks me up every time I see it. Whats it from?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2005
  7. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

its from one of the first episodes of kids in the hall in which bruce muckulla plays a charcter named eradicator who challengs people at his office to tennis, a must see kids in the hall skit.

8. Mr.saturn

Mr.saturn Spirited Member

I knew I had heard "The eradicator" somewhere before. God do I love me some kids in the hall.

9. Awesome, I love Kids in the Hall, although I don't remember that particular skit. Looks like I'll have to go out and buy season 1 (and 2 & 3 at some point).

10. Blur2040

Blur2040 Game Genie

Me too...and I haven't seen that skit either...the only time you can see it on TV is on comedy central at like 4 AM...maybe you can see it a bit more often in Canada...who knows.

Edit: Whoacrap, digression. Hmm...Shenmue for Saturn will forever remain locked away in Sega Japan, and nothing short of breaking in will get it out. :eek:(

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  11. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

During an interview he gave just prior to the Saturn's launch, Yu Suzuki actually claimed that only "one in 100" programmers would ever be able to fully utilise the console's dual-processor setup. In describing AM2's conversion of the first Virtua Fighter, he said that each player's character was powered by one SH-2, which caused many synchronicity problems. Even the loyal Suzuki admitted that a single-chip design would have been infinitely better, though by the end of its shelf life it's clear that his team was at the absolute cutting edge when it came to exploiting its capabilities (not as if things had been different before, mind).

I personally have no doubt games like "Shenmue" and VF3 were possible on just the stock hardware, with my only regret being that not enough has been seen of them - or nothing at all, in the case of VF3! There's absolutely no way these titles are ever going to be leaked, but surely it's not too much to ask for some more bonus footage, as this has already been done (without anybody even asking, I should add!) with the now-infamous Shenmue II footage.

Just a few seconds of Saturn VF3 could easily be placed into the already familiar history clips that have graced the last few console editions in this series, and I'm sure AM2 has more interesting material archived from arcade prototypes and other unreleased projects than it's currently sharing with us. After all, does anybody remember the short-lived rumours of a third Virtua Cop dating back to the 32-bit era? What about the ill-fated attempt at porting VF4 to the Dreamcast? If this really did make it to the R&D stages, what about showing us the preliminary results?

However, the real prize is still to actually play Saturn VF3 or Shenmue. Yu Suzuki himself acknowledged the 30,000+ signatures collected for a Shenmue III petition, and he's gone as far to say that when the time is right he will supervise such a game's production. While they may not have the same mass appeal as this specific title, if enough people are familiar with AM2's long-lost Saturn works then he may consider their release. I'd personally love to see a package similar to the GameWorks compilation, with both games on separate discs (or maybe even a third containing the earlier first revision of VF3, perhaps?) and a book explaining their development. They could even throw in some arcade concept art, images from early versions of other games and in-depth discussion of just how such graphically demanding software was possible on the supposedly "weak" Saturn. Including lines of actual 32-bit code might be taking it too far, but since this would be a product aimed at the truly hardcore Sega fan, why not go all the way? Wishful thinking, I know!

On the other hand, if something like Sonic X-Treme and the prototype version of Biohazard 2 (it's only a matter of time until this happens - trust me) can be smuggled out and into the public domain, why can't the "holy trinity*" of lost AM2 games for the Saturn? Anyway, I've written more than enough so I'll give you all chance to rest your eyes in preparation for what promises to be another lengthy post from yours truly...

*Of course, I am referring here to Saturn Virtua Fighter 3, Shenmue Saturn Version (or whatever it would have been called back then - VF RPG? Akira's Quest? Project Berkeley?) and the complete but unreleased Saturn conversion of Sonic The Fighters, even though a port of the latter's original coin-op appeared on the recent Gems Collection.