Saturn Shenmue

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by ShenJew, Nov 24, 2005.

1. ShenJew

ShenJew Guest

Hey,
    Does anyone know much about Shenmue for the sega saturn. So far I have only seen the video supplied in Shenmue II. I am willing to pay for any unreleased shenmue media.

Thanks

2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

And there I was thinking that someone had found some new info about it :(

What I can tell you is that it was in production long long ago under the name of Virtua Fighter RPG. This is probably why Ryo looks quite like Akira or could that just be a co-incidents? Maybe or maybe not since Lan-Di is like Lau Chan. The woman in the forest (Shen-fa) seems to be like Pai and the old guy in the park reminds me of Shun-Di (is that his name? The drunken master looking guy)

Yakumo

3. Perkunas

Perkunas Intrepid Member

Well yes, Akira was intended to star in his own RPG, but quite soon they parted with that concept and renamed it Project Berkley. It's pretty interesting to note that Shenmue for Saturn didn't use any of the RAM expansion cartridges, while still beating just about any PlayStation game in 3D graphics. ;)

4. adam-james

adam-james Guest

I'd like some proof please!

Have you seen it working on a retail saturn, with no expansion cart?

5. madhatter256

madhatter256 Illustrious Member

Someone once posted a link to a website that had a video of the game, that you can download. Does anyone know if it's still up?

6. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

in an interview for the xbox version of shenmue 2 one of the developers was asked about it and said it ran on stock satrun with no addon carts or modifications. In fact it used the last revision of the development kit i belive.

7. RyanGamerGoneGrazy

RyanGamerGoneGrazy Clubbies Are Minis Too!

i myself would be interested in seeing some "proof"......how far along did it get before it was moved to dc?

8. Fatalist

Fatalist Robust Member

The original interview with Taku Kihara (AM2 PR team) and Shin Ishikawa (Shenmue II Xbox team leader) was posted at begn.be site. At The Next Level is available, I can't access the original link at Begn.be anymore.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/interviews/am2/

And yes they said the Shenmue Saturn code was running on a stock Saturn.

"Q: Can you tell us a little bit more about the unreleased Saturn version? How long had it been worked on, and did it use the experimental Saturn expansion cartridge or the 4meg RAM card?
    A: Nearly two years of work was put in the Saturn version. It didn’t use a booster cartridge nor did it use the 4meg RAM card, so yes, the game was programmed for, and the footage seen as an extra on Shenmue II is from the code running on a stock Saturn."

9. Divine Evolution

Divine Evolution Peppy Member

Video killed the Radio star

Here's the video showing the graphical quality (thanks Google Video)
    Shenmue - Saturn Version
    ~Krelian

P.S.: Note that the image quality itself is somewhat reduced to enable streaming.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  10. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

I remember Yu Suzuki saying the same thing on a interview: that it was running on a stock Saturn.

11. Sienar

Sienar Robust Member

http://www.planetxbox.com/shenmuedojo/history.shtml

Not sure if you have already seen this, or how much it will help, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

12. RyanGamerGoneGrazy

RyanGamerGoneGrazy Clubbies Are Minis Too!

holy &^%&% that is extremly impressive for a saturn game, an actuallality, it looks better than most ps1 titles..........though seag always had the upper hand in saturn dev..

13. Wow, just watched those videos and I must say I am quite impressed, I honestly don't know how a stock Saturn could pull that out of its ass, but its amazing. The Saturn hardware was actually pretty powerful if utilized properly, although hardly anyone did. I still am amazed that it could do that though.

While we are on the subject of Shenmue, has there been any updates on Shenmue 3? I had heard awhile back that it was in production and going to be released on Xbox, but then I never heard anything about it again. I really hope that Sega finishes the series for us, I loved the first two and I would love to play the final chapters.

14. Perkunas

Perkunas Intrepid Member

Well I used to be one of the staff members of BeGN (the site has been dead for over a year now though, shame), and I know the person who did the interview, is that proof enough? =)

Shenmue III was worked on well into 2003, and was well underway, but somewhere around or before the merger problems (Namco, Sammy) they put it in the freezer (but not completely from what I picked up). I wouldn't have a clue what the status of the project is right now, but I think Sega realised Shenmue has the most potential on one or more next-generation consoles (as there are as much as 16 chapters or more).

My guess is they either started working on remaking the first two parts and the third part so they could later release it on Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 (this would require many resources), or they put away the project because it lost momentum. Or could Ryu Ga Gotoku be some kind of test to see if a title like Shenmue could still succeed? Sega Sammy has the money for a project like Shenmue or even something bigger, but I think they want to know if they'll get their investment back. ;)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  15. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

Sorry to add my two cents with something that amounts to pointless trivia, but another working title for Shenmue was Akira's Quest. While not much was known about this project until long after it had been moved to the Dreamcast, its existence was definitely in the public domain as I can recall that particular name being mentioned in certain magazines from this period - if only somebody archived old issues of Sega Gamer, Mean Machines or Sega Power, as these were the main ones I used to read back in the day that I failed to keep back issues of (fortunately, my entire collection of SSM is safe while all the official DC mags are still round at my parents' old house).

Shenmue was indeed running on a stock Saturn, and it's generally believed that AM2 managed this feat using a combination of the last SGL revision and the same programming technique as seen in Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon Saga, which were also late arrivals on the system. Sega really should have maintained its 32-bit output for a few more months until the Dreamcast's launch, as the Saturn seemed to be on the wave of a late revival. If the conversion of Virtua Fighter 3 can also be taken into consideration (providing it was actually half as good as it almost certainly would have been), developers (albeit internal groups) were really pushing the console's limits, even surpassing the N64! Maybe if there hadn't been the rush to next generation hardware, Sonic Adventure could have become a Saturn title? After all, Sonic Team has said in the past that its 128-bit game has origins in a Saturn tech demo intended to see how the character would operate in a 3D world, and this evolved into the "Sonic World" part of the Jam compilation. Sadly, this is all just wishful thinking on my behalf. Sigh.

16. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I agree ! Sega leave their systems far too early !! 3rd party companies were still releasing Saturn stuff well in to 1999 and even in 2000 well after the Dreamcast was released in November 1998 (Japan).

Yakumo

17. Anthaemia.

In addition to Shenmue and VF3, the Saturn could have benefitted from Resident Evil 2 and maybe even Metal Gear Solid - how about Street Fighter III and Red Earth as well? Also, why not give the last two Shining Force III scenarios, Grandia or maybe Capcom's many upgrade-reliant fighters? Well, everything apart from perhaps Final Fight Revenge, as Sega began employing its strict AAA quality control system at this point (as a side note, the first title approved under this regime was actually Fighters Megamix back in late 1996/early 1997). Then again, how could they ever explain Courier Crisis or Deep Fear? Had the Dreamcast been delayed for just a year or two, perhaps VF4 could have been a launch title as opposed to something that was infinitely more suited to the previous generation. Of course, this whole "parallel universe" theory only really works if Saturn VF3 lived up to the hype, though if Shenmue's any measure of just how much AM2 was getting from the platform I've no doubt that it would have been a landmark achievement - possibly even surpassing its predecessor visually AND in terms of sales!

18. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

sad truth is, saturn was mostly popular in japan only, in america when the 64 launched it was about close to death, then after wards it kinda faded, even though it had its dedicated fanbase, it just wastn pulling in. You gotta understand that unlike the dreamcast saturn was a project that was base on an older with newer features added in twords the last minute, if anything what killed the saturn as mentioned before were many factors that inluded teh failure of the addons, difficulty to program for, bad timing, and ridiculessly high launch price. Belive me if it launched at $300 and had a decent libary to start out with in the us, it would have done alot better im guessing. Its real sad though, saturn has some very classic games, theres more games i want to play on saturn then there are on psx, and thats a big ass libary. Its funny when they said nintendo was doing real bad in the 64 days, compared to the saturn it was doing quite well. As for them not releasing the addons and such, alot had to do with the fact that sega just couldnt afford anymore to support the thing, it might have been successful in japan, but everywhere else it was about forgot almost completely after the launch of the 64. And mind you i could not blame them for doing the aaa thing since they didnt want to release stuff that just would not sell. Then again its funny to think that the saturn had a longer lifespan yet did worse worldwide compared to the dreamcast that was more successful in a shorter time span, belive me i felt the dreamcast was and still is the last classic gaming console. Anyone want to start a thread on why certain systems failed?

19. Anthaemia.

There's no doubt the Dreamcast had some really amazing titles (and some of these were even carried over to the Xbox!), but for me the last truly great console was the Saturn. By the time Sega had entered the 128-bit generation, I knew it was only a matter of time before its collapse and subsequent over-reliance on the more successful past. For me, Sega really started to lose its footing when virtually every arcade conversion was farmed out to third party developers (Virtua Fighter 3tb and, to a lesser extent, Daytona 2001). Giving its own teams extra freedom led to increasingly poorer software, though fortunately the really bad stuff didn't appear until well after the Dreamcast's demise (though 90 Minutes is one exception). Still, there were some instances where Sega looked as strong and innovative as ever (see Jet Set Radio and Rez). Despite its unfulfilled promise of a late return to form, I remain loyal to the Saturn because of its superior early back catalogue. While not everybody will like the same type of games as I do, the fact is that Saturn had plenty of support from the AM departments, who defied all critics of the hardware with some of the best conversions of that period on any system. Also, by the Dreamcast era too many companies had backed out (though Konami admittedly fled the Saturn too early), with EA choosing to abandon Sega entirely and Capcom no longer creating the amazing 2D titles it had done before. In my opinion, there was nothing stopping Marvel VS Capcom from being one final and spectacular showcase of the Saturn's 4Mb RAM upgrade as opposed to "yesterday's news" on the Dreamcast - much like VF3, in fact. I could write in defence of the Saturn all day, and that's without even mentioning its amazing collection of shooting titles!

Anyway, I've already told you my candidate for the last classic console - what's YOUR choice and why?

20. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

text breaks are nice you know.