Saturn SCART quality issues

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Druidic teacher, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  2. Jamtex

Jamtex Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur

Because the Saturn doesn't give the correct voltage on pin 8 (technically for 4:3 RGB it should be between 9.5V and 12V with just under 3V on pin 16, although the official pertitel standard has large gaps between the voltages and 2 to 5V is basically undefined...), the TV gets confused and tends to switch between normal and widescreen modes (hence the flickering when you do use composite sync), however most TVs do allow you to select between widescreen (16:9) and non widescreen (4:3) modes (overriding what the SCART input is asking), so press the ratio or widescreen button a few times and it should clear it. Some TVs will allow you to select default aspect ratio in setup, for example the Panasonic CRTs in allows you to select Auto, 4:3 or 16:9 for ratio, so by forcing it to be 4:3 it should stop flickering.

Most TVs do tend to strip the composite sync from the composite video although I did notice that some if they are not getting the correct voltage on pin 8 (and/or 16) will see the composite video signal and assume it is composite video and the RGB lines are interfering with the composite signal.

It's not just the Saturn, the official Sony SCART lead on a Sony TV on the Playstation 1,2 or 3 will always select 16:9 mode...

3. Codeman

Codeman GasPanic bouncer

The schematic show pins 8 and 16 bridged with a resistor.

I had and official RGB cable that didnt seem to output RGB, the TV just didnt swith into RGB mode, I found out the cable wasnt outputting enough juice on one of these pins. I ended up bridging these pins with an isolated paperclip and in seconds I got my crystal clear RGB picture.

Maybe your problem is also related to one of these pins, check if enough power is being outputted to these pins

4. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

weird you have such problems my saturns output perfetc and cristal clear rgb through my scart connectors...

are you sure you haven't got a composite cable with a scart end instead of an rgb scart?

5. Segata Sanshiro

Segata Sanshiro speedlolita

The PS1 version perhaps, my PS2 official cable does everything perfectly.

6. Druidic teacher

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  7. Jamtex

Jamtex Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur

Composite sync has a peak to peak voltage of between 0.5 to 2V, although 1V is normal.

Did you try just using C-Sync and forcing your TV to be 4:3?

8. Oldgamingfart

Oldgamingfart Enthusiastic Member

I read somewhere that the Japanese Saturn has the extra voltage on C-Sync, so normal PAL RGB SCART cables won't usually work properly without modification.

With the Gamecube SCART, there's usually x3 capacitors on the RGB lines, maybe the same can work for the C-Sync (220uf capacitor: + side to C-Sync wire, - side to SCART pin 20).

FYI the PAL Saturn RGB SCART cable I have here (I think it's official), doesn't have a resistor on the +5 line (direct connection), and pin 5 is not grounded either. Pin 4 and 18 are grounded, but not to the outer metal shield on the SCART end.

*EDIT*

Right, found a 220uf cap and soldered it onto the composite line as explained above. I'm using a Panasonic video monitor to test with, so here's a picture of the naked SCART plugged into the SCART extender. You can see the 220uf cap soldered on:

[​IMG]

Let's power it up:

[​IMG]

Ooh very nice! Image might appear a little stretched, as I have the monitor's geometry controls set for PAL SNES use. Prior to modification, plugging in the SCART cable used to make the picture jump around like a badly tuned analogue TV station.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  9. Druidic teacher

x

10. Oldgamingfart

Oldgamingfart Enthusiastic Member

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. A small clarification, when I said C-Sync, I meant Composite Video (Pin 20). Yes it appears that my cable has Pin1 (9v in place of C-Sync), going direct to pin 16 of the SCART (no resistor) - Pin 8 (aspect ratio) on the SCART side is not wired at all.

Not a problem when using a monitor, but this would mean no RGB switching voltage (when using an official PAL RGB SCART cable with a Japanese Saturn)! I suppose you would need to strip back the Saturn connector and re-wire pin1 to pin4, or use a resistor and 9v battery.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  11. Druidic teacher

x

12. swcdx

swcdx Spirited Member

Hmmm....

I was just about to put together a Saturn setup using a stock, US Saturn, an XRGB3, and a stock SCART RGB cable ... but you are saying the SCART RGB cables for the saturn produce poor quality ?

Were there any SCART RGB cables produced for the saturn that output high quality RGB ? I'd love to be able to put this setup together without any custom work ...

Thanks.

13. Druidic teacher

x

14. swcdx

swcdx Spirited Member

ok, but were there ever any "good" saturn->scart cables produced that I could purchase, as opposed to the "bad" playasia one ?

I plan on doing RGB output, via SCART, from a saturn, but I am not going to be doing any surgery for it ...

15. Druidic teacher

x

16. mooseblaster

mooseblaster Bleep. Site Supporter 2012, 2014

As far as I was aware, all PAL Sega Saturns came with official Sega RGB SCART cables.

17. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

No console as far as I can remember has ever shipped with a fully wired RGB SCART cable out of the box, especially not the Sega Saturn!

Most things shipped with a RF unit until the last few years where they were shipped with a crappy composite/RCA + SCART adapter instead.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  18. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Robust Member

Actually, Sega switched back to including a RF cable sometime in 1997 (or maybe even before?). I remember I made a point of buying a new TV with a Scart socket specifically so I could then buy a Saturn, only to find my Saturn came with an RF cable anyway.

The fact that the official Sega Scart cable is not fully wired is actually a useful way to know if your cable is official. That said, I use this cable on a Japanese White Saturn without needing to modify the cable.

19. mooseblaster

mooseblaster Bleep. Site Supporter 2012, 2014

Note: a SCART cable does not have to be fully wired to be RGB. In fact, having a fully wired cable is commonly detrimental to its performance as cross-talk from the input wires causes picture and sound bleed-through - which is why I ended up clipping the input wires from my SCART switchbox after I constantly heard faint audio from BBC1 when things were quiet in a game!

20. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

Meh are you sure it wasn't because of a tinfoil hat? ;)