Saturn sample console

Discussion in 'Sega Discussion' started by dj898, May 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dj898

dj898 Site Supporter 2015

I found these short video of comparing the sample console against the launch console (which had been modified as part of Cross CartDev system). Honestly I thought lost them for good but apparently it was among the unlabeled memory cards all along. :)

The console housing appeared to be one of very early console case mold test injection. You could tell this by the complete lack of any detailed surface finishing as well as lettering you would find on the retail console case. Also the plastic and its thickness were somewhat different compared to the retail console case.

This sample console had the label saying it belongs to the Sega internal division. However I couldn't find exactly which division the label was referring to. If anyone know about more in this please do let me know.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  2. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

The plastic looks really cheap!

3. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

That's just the way early test shots look - the texturing is normally the last thing you do on the tooling because once it's applied it makes any further adjustments much harder.

PrOfUnD Darkness likes this.
  4. limbofunk

limbofunk Active Member

Very neat, thanks for sharing!

5. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

I'm kicking myself now, because I once saw a Saturn in that exact same type of case and thought it was just some fan creation rather than a molding test...