Saturn Optical Drive Emulator

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by jhl, Jul 11, 2016.

1. jhl

jhl Spirited Member

Yeah, and at the risk of sounding repetitive, this is *also* something that happened with the Drag'n'Derp. I got busy finishing my PhD and just never had the energy to overcome the various hurdles that came up, and it'd end up out of stock for months. For example, at one point I could no longer get the USB ports cut in the cart shells by the manufacturer. When I finally got around to it it took me just (?) a day and a half in the local hackerspace to cut 500 carts myself, but then when those ran out... now I don't even have a shell supplier anymore. And with the Satiator no energy to sort that out ;-)

2. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Glad to hear you've had great results from folks pitching in.

3. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

takeshi385, Muramasa and ruiner9 like this.
  4. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

That looks great! Not sure I understand what the thing in the upper left corner is supposed to be though?

5. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

6. jhl

jhl Spirited Member

It's a space for a logo. The designer helpfully put the Saturn logo in as a placeholder, but I think I would be unwise to use that ;-)

Yes, open source. The existing Ugly Menu is open source already, along with a modded Yabause for development purposes - though these are a bit out of date, I will bring the releases up to date once I get beta hardware out the door.
    I'm not sure when I'll find time to actually implement Beautiful Menu - because I will have to basically learn graphics programming on the Saturn from scratch... Hoping to find a little help from someone who's experienced, we'll see what happens.

7. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I like you.

TerdFerguson and jhl like this.
  8. kikujade

kikujade Member

Have you spoken to Krikzz or Stone Age Gamer yet? the PSIO guys went with Stone Age Gamer.

9. jhl

jhl Spirited Member

I've spoken to a few people, there are several options on the table. Not making any commitments yet though.

sa1 and Kosh like this.
  10. Kosh

Kosh Newly Registered

@jhl I have been a dedicated follower of your project for a long time and I wanted to say thank you and that you are doing God's work

I am an avid poster on reddit.com and I always try to push future purchasers for your product your way. Please keep up the great work!

I have given up on efforts to try to purchase a rhea/phoebe because of mythical availability and due to your honesty and involvement with your followers.
    I enthusiastically say shut up and take my money..

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    jhl likes this.
  11. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

https://twitter.com/prof_abrasive/status/1039856310416625665
    "Today's iteration of the production test board for the Satiator. This should be the last stop before betas!"
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Just to be clear, this is not a Satiator! It's his testing device, for newly built cards, which get inserted to the right.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  12. 8bitplus

8bitplus Gutsy Member

I see that there are a few more updates on his Patreon page.
    Looks like things are moving towards picking a manufacture and board assembler. As Greg showed above, he has also developed devices for the factory to fully test and debug the cards. This is an amazing amount of work and should result in a great product at the end. I'd also be hopefull that the production volume can be enough to avoid the GDEMU/Phoebe/Reah situation where we have a supply,demand,availability and price unbalance....if that makes sense....

13. Strogen

Strogen Spirited Member

Yes, I agree. Hopefully the Satiator can fill the market so everyone that wants one can have one. I will definitely purchase this product!

14. bochu

bochu Active Member

Any updates?

15. jhl

jhl Spirited Member

Whenever there's news it's on Patreon first. There will be an update this week.

Getta Robo, AUSTIN PEYTON and LuizNai like this.
  16. bochu

bochu Active Member

17. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member