Saturn Optical Drive Emulator

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by jhl, Jul 11, 2016.

1. 8bitplus

8bitplus Gutsy Member

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  2. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

I agree. While the Rhea and Phobe exist they are not obtainable. The situation is similar with the PS-IO.

3. 8bitplus

8bitplus Gutsy Member

And the Prof is back!.
    Just seen the patron update.

4. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Saw that, essentially says he wants to get it out there. Doesn't want to shirk quality, i.e., leave out a feature he may want in the future. I kind of gleam from that his primary development work could actually be done.

Needs to find a manufacturing partner in the likely event he gets busy and cannot do it from time to time. Lot of suggestions for Neo SD Store. Would have to create a test system for them to use though.

5. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Someone should get him in contact with with EvilDragon from Dragonbox.de. He has a ton of experience with distribution and shop stuff, as well as some hands-on experience with mass producing electronics (Pandora/Pyra).

6. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Id be interesting in stocking and producing them too. Would be nice to launch my website with.

If he needs help with funding or getting them made, I could help.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  7. Plavix

Plavix Rapidly Rising Member

You need to contact him then.

Korn16ftl3 likes this.
  8. 8bitplus

8bitplus Gutsy Member

I think so too. The prototype PCB he showed earlier this year looks very polished. The rest of the time might be spent on firmware/bios work.

9. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

He did mention that MPEG functionality is unlikely to be supported. Granted there's only like a dozen Japanese games that even support it.

10. Droid III

Droid III Rising Member

And only one game that actually requires it, but even that is a re-release.

11. Plavix

I really hope this comes soon. I really don't want to pay the ridiculous amount of money that the rhea or phoebe go for. Once this is out those will die off.

Korn16ftl3 likes this.
  12. Korn16ftl3

Korn16ftl3 Robust Member

One can only hope, or at least they will get produced at a more steady pace rather than starving their market

Plavix likes this.
  13. jopamo

jopamo Member

..or just be another alternative for Saturn fans. Why does something need to "die" for this to succeed? Competition is good.

14. Plavix

Yeah it's great we have more choice , but not if it's stupidly priced. Once this is out we won't need the silly overpriced item regardless if it's a alternative or not. Just my opinion

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Korn16ftl3 likes this.
  15. jopamo

jopamo Member

What’s to say that this also won’t be stupid priced?! Pricing (to my knowledge) hasn’t been discussed, so that’s a large assumption on your part. Yes, Deunan’s stuff costs a pretty penny, and his ordering system leaves much to be desired (I speak from experience of multiple coffee-fueled midnight orders). However, the production/distribution model for this new device hasn’t been yet established either. So, if you’re also assuming that this will be more accessible than Rhea/Phoebe, then I suggest that you to just check the hate at the door and let it all play out.

[edit] P.S. on the topic of stupid pricing: have you checked out similar products (for other systems) from Krikzz... from TerraOnion... from Darksoft?! Their stuff costs a ton. This ain’t charity, broseph. People are out to make money on extremely specialized products (that they’ve spent a shit-ton of time developing) that are directed toward extremely small target markets.

I’m not a fanboy, a troll, or a ball-buster. I’m just callin’ it for what it is.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  16. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I think he specifically said he wanted it to be cheap/affordable. That's IIRC.

17. jopamo

jopamo Member

Wanting to do something, and actually making that happen are two different beasts. To clarify, I’m referring to possible pressures of overhead-costs for parts manufacturing, assembly, testing, sale and distribution (...and not Dr. Abrasive being greedy).

I truly hope that this is both affordable and accessible. The clock on optical drives and related media is ticking, and Rhea/Phoebe is definitely difficult to obtain.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  18. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

I think he has a fairly good idea of the complexity of getting this stuff into production - he was previously making a Gameboy flash cart which was arguably the most complicated and sophisticated one on the market. - and that was selling for $100 retail even through distributors so it's pretty clear he wasn't into gouging people.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  19. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Yes, this device won't "break the bank." I believe the plan is to make them himself in the initial batch, then move it to a 3rd party. However, he's admitted that step will require him to design and build custom testing rigs and what not, for that purpose.

20. jopamo

jopamo Member

If you actually read my earlier comment @TriMesh you’d have realized that I wasn’t insinuating that he’d gouge anybody. In fact I was purely stating that (#1) things aren’t finalized yet, and despite earlier projects completed, no one truly knows the final costs or availability of this device. Such speculation is just that...speculation.

...and (#2) @Plavix, putting Rhea/Phoebe down based on BS like “high pricing” (which $130 is really not a big deal) and “lack of availability” (grow up, stay up and hit refresh like the rest of us...or at least keep your email notifications enabled) is kiddie crap. Period.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018