(saturn) Hexen 12-12-96 + help request

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by contrafan, Oct 17, 2016.

1. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

https://mega.nz/#!eJ1znCQD!_-TeweiQeHTqwgnytEbj9pgzl8efBuRjhqNDRI0VsJI

Please update in thread if you find anything.

I also have a 1-20-97 build of the game. The disc is heavily scratched; can't access files on disc on any of my computers and most programs won't even read it. Its contents are displayed in ISOBuster surprisingly but it indicates the executable is unreadable. I still ripped the disc but tons of sectors can't be read (timeout on logical unit). Any suggestions to try to pull the data off this frisbee?

2. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

If worse comes to worse you might have to have it resurfaced, but this is a last resort. Resurfacing works most of the time, but on occasion it may render a disc useless. I hope someone here chimes in with something better.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  3. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    takeshi385 likes this.
  4. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

@Druid II I might turn to this option down the line, would you consider taking a shot at the disc if I sent it to you?

If not, the offer's open to others who have experience with this.

5. Druidic teacher

x

6. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Honestly, I'm open to any help I can get at this point. I've hit a dead end on my side of it. It either gets fixed, stays the same or becomes more unusable; I don't mind. If you can double check with the guy in the US, that's a start.

The disc has a few pin-sized white spots on the reading side. Makes me think either the layer was eaten up to the max in those spots or is not that bad. I ripped 15 out of 16 tracks off it, but unfortunately it's just the audio; the meat of it is loaded with sector errors. IIRC, it's always the same numbers that get reported.

7. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Sounds like bit rot. Id be happy to take a look if it can wait a few weeks.

finalkillcams likes this.
  8. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Yeah, sure. Let me know when you're set

9. Druidic teacher

x

10. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Fuck. Looks like I'm SOL on this disc. Can see right through it on both sides, the light unfiltered. Unless there's even a remote possibility otherwise, might as well junk it.

11. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Id still take a look at the disk. At the very least, its yet another disc I can point to when I give small presentations on the importance of game preservation.

finalkillcams likes this.
  12. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Why not, I got nothing to lose. Remote chance the previous owner backed up the disc, still waiting on a response, but not hopeful.

13. Druidic teacher

x

14. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Unfortunately, that is the case. Now it's just a matter of mailing out this disc. The collector followed up, he never backed up any of his dev discs, which is too bad. I got these very cheap, since he warned me the discs were heavily scratched and sold as-is. So it was my risk to take.

15. DartPower

DartPower Member

try ANYREADER soft to recover

16. DartPower

DartPower Member

and try to wipe the disk of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)

17. WhiteMagicRaven

WhiteMagicRaven Newly Registered

There is Total commander + use Nonstop copy plugin NSCopy 2.2 . this will read all files and tryes to copy them , if can't it zero out bad data. Benefit to use this? you can try multiple times to copy files to already copied, it will try read only missing parts, so you can use various ROM Drives to read all lacking details. if unsucessful after all this, try to make sure disc is clean. Clean out it from dust and especially grease, but be carefull to not make more scratches, clean from centre to out, try to re-read this using total cmd with NSCopy . And last thing use not transparent paint and paint it on title side so laser can be more easily mirrored. Or read any tips in internet on how to restore it. I tell my story on which way i sucessfully restored data from cd. Not sure how to take ISO from this its rel pain now. But i think we can reconstruct it from various ISO copy attempts, along side with using NONStop copy on various ROM drives, make ISO on these drives too. So we will have hard work, but we have chance. Good Luck!

Edit: From various copy attempts on various Drives we can make original ISO by idea its little easy programming trick by using bit operation "or". Unreaded data all zero if any other iso have "one" than copy it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016