Saturn Healp! PSX vs Saturn versions

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by 1080Peter, Mar 10, 2007.

1. 1080Peter

1080Peter everyone knows ps3 make the best games

Okay, since I can't get the Parodius series on the PS2 and I don't want to shell out 200USbux for a PSP plus the collection, I was thinking of getting the console versions already released. Here's the thing though: I already have an NTSC-U/C PS1. I could get the Parodius games for that console, but I've heard that the Saturn versions are better. How much so?

[Yakumo, get the heck in here and] tell me HOW specifically the Saturn is the greatest. I know about 2x the Video RAM, making 2D games that much better, but is there anything else? Actually, lemme just put it this way: if they are, why are the Saturn versions of some games better?

What are some of the truly EPIC WIN defining games of the Saturn, sans fighting games? This can determine whether or not I get a JAP Saturn or PS1 modchip.

2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

OK, there are 3 Parodius games for the Saturn with ALL being better than the PSX versions due to the following reasons.

More animation
    Less loading times (in fact none or close to none)
    No slowdown (Arcade perfect speed)
    Better sampled audio (so one Japanese parodius site states)

None of the saturn Parodius games make use of the add-on carts so there's no need to buy one of them either. Also the Saturn games are easier to find.

Parodius Deluxe Pack (featured Parodius Da! and Gokujo Parodius / Parodius 2)
    [​IMG]

Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius Forever With Me
    [​IMG]

Sexy Parodius
    [​IMG]

Not all 2D games are better on the Saturn with Donpachi being the main showcase for PSX owners however most of them are. Any 2D fighter is better on the Saturn as are many of the 2D shooters. The Saturn is also home to many exclusives that are must have games including the over hyped (in my eyes) Radiant Silver Gun. Feel free to take a look through my site to see what Saturn games appeal to you. For me the Saturn is the greatest overlooked console of all time (in the west that is)

Yakumo

Yakumo

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  3. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

The unfortunate truth is to find out what's better on each system you will have to do some research. I have no clue about the Parodii b/c i don't dig the series in the least. Dodoponachi is the most blaring "PS version is better" although there are more. AFAIK, Strikesr I is better on the saturn, which Strikers II is better on the PS. Gunbird... Saturn all the way. Donpachi, I believe the PS is better.

Many times b/c they were designed for the Saturn's architecture first, and ported to the PS later (read: Soukyuugurentai & Silhouette Mirage). It goes the other way as well though. Akumajo X: SOTN. The PS version smokes the Saturn, despite the Saturn having the (debatably useless) extras.

If you really want to enjoy 2D gaming, you really need both systems. If you want to know which version is better, you need to research each one. Unfortuantely, price will also come into factor. Just about all of the Konami deluxe packs & G-Darius cost way more (maybe double) on the PS.

This is not the end-all-be-all truth. Don't listen to someone that says that the Saturn is the choice when it comes to 2D. As stated above, there are instances where it is simply not the case. It comes down to budget, and time devoted to each port. There are several fantastic 2D games that are PS exclusives, that are just as impressive as anything on the Saturn.

Umihara Kawase Shun
    Chippoke Ralph no Daibouken
    Gussun Paradise
    Hermie the Hopper Head
    Gunner's Heaven
    and a shitload of arcade ports and shooting games

4. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

personally i think that saturn was actually better in 2D in all ways, BUT the problem was that the console was quite annoying to develop for, and also it died a lot of time before the PSX, so it was never used to all his capabilities.

anyway, beside Castlevania SOTN, and maybe a couple of megaman X i think that saturn did actually smoke the psx (expecially in 2d fighters).

my suggestion is to keep both systems, so that you can enjoy square's 2d games :D

5. GaijinPunch

So "in theory" the Saturn is better. I will take "in actuality" any day. System manufacturers throw out what a system can do all the time... if the games don't do it though, I don't give a shit. That's the main point in this case. Throwing specs aside, the PS is just as impressive of a 2D machine as the Saturn. We could bring RPGs in here at which case the scales would be tipped in the Playstations favor by a long shot (but that's not a fair comparison).

Apples & Oranges really. There are enough exclusives on each to warrant having both. Your 2D fighters comment is likely valid...this is a genre I do not follow at all. But, there are plenty of shoddy ports on the Saturn, where the PSX is better. Search around shmups. It's far more than just a couple of games.

6. karsten

all the shooter i've tried on saturn are better than psx ones, so i don't see your point at all...

IMHO the saturn IS better than psx on 2D graphics, it's not a matter of "in theory". i just stated that both machines are great in 2D and that they're both worth having for each one have great games that are flawed on the other or some exclusives worth the price.

7. TheDeathcoaster

TheDeathcoaster Game Developer

The slow-down and lack of translucency in SOTN on the Saturn would disagree with you, Karsten ;)

As GP said, you need to consider each title to see which version is superior.

8. Yakumo

I think the bottom line is that if a 2D game was originally planned for the PSX then ported to the Saturn then you'll find that the Saturn version suffers, i.e. Castlevania. Then again it was ported by the crappy Nagoya team of Konami.

As far as shooters that appear on both machines the only ones I think are noticeably better on the PSX are Donpachi and Strikers 1945 II everything else (shooter wise) is better on the Saturn. However there are some smashing shooters on the PSX as well such as Harmful Park and G-Darius but then again you could say the same about the Saturn with it's Radiant Silver Gun and Sokyugurentai etc.

In an ideal world both machines are needed but if you can only afford one then it's got to be the Saturn. Not only are the games easier to find but also cheaper in most cases. Plus it's the king of 2D fighters after the Neo Geo without a doubt. Nobody could argue with that.

Yakumo

9. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

The Saturn controller is the best (even now) controller for 2-d console fighters. That D-pad is amazing! (The DC's gave me cramps)

10. GaijinPunch

Well, have you tried them all?

There is a thread somewhere about this at shmups, on which is better on what system. There's definitely more than two that are better on the PS. I think the original Donpachi falls into this category but I wouldn't bet my balls on it. There are unfortunatley some that are not-so-clear, if memory serves. I would have to dig to find it. It might not've survived the old forum crash.

The main reason to own both is obviously the exclusives... there are enough to warrant owning the systems, and not in just the shooting genre. 2D fighters... a genre I know nothing about at all, so can't comment.

11. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

It strikes me as mad that no one though of using flat sided polys to do 3D on the Playstation until right near the end of its life. I wonder what could have been, though SFZ3 proves it could be done and done very well.

12. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

flat sided polys to do 2d you mean? In 3d terms, Plains? :D

I personally find using sprites a hastle if your machine can handle polygones, they re much 'cleaner' to manage, provided you have enough horsepower.

13. karsten

don't you read topics do you? i pointed EXACTLY THAT GAME out...

14. TheDeathcoaster

I did read it, actually. However, I felt your claims that the Saturn is a better 2D system still unfounded, as once again, it depends on which System the game was designed for.

If the Saturn was far superior on 2D, one assumes it would at least be able to do translucency on textures? Rather than the cross-hatching it does in Nitm.

Basically, I just think the lack of quality in the game stands out far more than your brief mentioning.

I was merely

15. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

It's kind of off-topic, but I picked that up a while back (for a bit more than it's really worth) based on it's "Gunstar Heroes"-alike status, and was absolutely livid when it arrived and I realised there was no 2-player mode. It makes no sense at all.

16. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

Gunner's Heaven was a rush-job launch game right?

to Barc0de: using textured polys in place of sprites in a 2D game.

17. Yakumo

It can but thanks to Sony arse kissing magazines like EDGE, most people who don't own the machine think it can't. Even very early games feature it. Just take a look at Astel. Later games such as Cotton Boomerang feature multi layered translucency. There are a few 3D games that feature translucent polygons as well. The reason that the PSX does them all the time is because the hardware basically does it where as in the case of the Saturn such effects are software driven so lazy programmers just don't bother.

Yakumo

18. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Castlevania on Saturn was only so poor because of the crappy job that was done on it. There's no reason for the issues the game suffers most from to exist on the Saturn hardware. The system itself is quite capable as you could see from better games developed for it. Things like the horrible slowdown and longer load times were obviously lazyness.

One game I'd like to point out is Darius Gaiden. The PSX port is crap. The Saturn version is much much better. I "think" that game also had translucent water but I can't be sure.

19. TheDeathcoaster

Exactly the point I was making. It is in the hands of the programmers, so one must ignore what the System is capable of and consider what the game actually provides on each platform.

20. GaijinPunch

I picked one up recently for pretty cheap.... runs sheckles in Japan. Hope you didn't pay too much for it. Didn't know there was no 2-player mode. It's a good game though, nonetheless. I find it a bit hard at the end though.