Saturn & Dreamcast Toslink

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by citrus3000psi, Aug 10, 2015.

1. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

So I'm on a toslink roll. I ended up doing a saturn and dreamcast install yesterday.

Refer to this thread for parts and more info: http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/700x-ps1-toslink-success.57639/

I have a launch model V-Saturn, and this tutorial assumes you have a TDA1386T DAC chip in your saturn (Its located by the the video out connector) I got my feeds from some test points on the back side of the board close to the power connector. It was just easier to solder then going directly on the chip. Also Pin 7 on the TC9231N should get +5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PCB mounting and wiring routing.

[​IMG]

I used the factory hole to mount the toslink connector. I did have to do some trimming on the top panel around the power supply.

[​IMG]

All done

[​IMG]

On to the dreamcast.

Check to make sure your dreamcast DAC is a PCM1725. I couldn't really find any convenient test points like the saturn so I just soldered directly to the DAC. I also pulled power from here but you could source GND and +5 from anywhere on the board. Also Pin 7 on the TC9231N should get +5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I'm going to try and figure my 3DO, but I need to get some more boards in.

2. Hardak

Hardak Active Member

Very cool.

3. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Where did you get that convenient PCB?

Nevermind, helps when you read.

4. SegaLife

SegaLife Rising Member

Very Nice!

5. Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers Rapidly Rising Member

How much of a difference in sound quality does this make on the Dreamcast?

Ted.

6. citrus3000psi

It is all gonna to depend on your sound setup.

7. Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers Rapidly Rising Member

Of course it is all relative. What I meant to ask was you being someone whom has listened to Dreamcast sound in both stereo and digital (presumably from the same setup) how do the two compare. Is there a noticeable difference, is the mod worthy of the effort?

Ted.

8. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

It depends a lot on the DAC in your AV receiver. Everything sound-related has to be converted to analogue at some point :)

If you have a decent AVR then it may sound better using digital. If you have a cheap one, the built in DAC in the Dreamcast could in theory be better and therefore you'd be better of using analoge stereo, to let the Dreamcast handle the conversion.

So it actually depends on your sound system, and the DAC inside, if it's worth it or not.

9. Strogen

Strogen Spirited Member

I am going to do this mod to my Saturn and Dreamcast, parts are on the way. I would like to know what soundbar would sound good with this Toslink mod on both systems.

10. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

I have never used a soundbar myself. But the same theory would apply. The higher the price, and quality of the soundbar, the better the chance of it having a good DAC. You should read some in depth reviews, that covers this.

If the Dreamcast DAC is better, use Analogue audio. This way you let the Dreamcast handle the Digital to Analogue conversion.
    If the Soundbar DAC is better, use digital audio. This way you let the Soundbar handle the Digital to Analogue conversion.

11. segasonicfan

segasonicfan Spirited Member

holy shit. you are my new hero. This is incredible!!
    Any chance to do this with Sega CDX / Sega CD? I remember researching a while back and finding that the chipset in CDX has digital audio output.

12. citrus3000psi

I'm guessing no for the cdx. If its anything like the genesis then its gonna be tough. The Yamaha sound processor in the genesis does the DAC conversion all in the same chip. I guess it might be possible to swap out Yamaha chips with something that doesn't have the DAC build in.

13. segasonicfan

segasonicfan Spirited Member

hrmm Ithought the Laseractive did it, because that has toslink output and uses the Genesis 2 chipset from what I remember (same as CDX) but it turns out thats only for Sega CD audio tracks:
    http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?140727-Laseractive-Sega-PAC-Audio

So the problem would be getting the audio from that Yamaha like you mentioned. Would be great if it was possible!

The CDX has a 315-5660 chip, same as in some Genesis 2 models. There is a seperate PCM DAC and CD audio DAC though for Sega CD games. It would be cool to have Toslink for those and then use analog for the Genesis (with a MegaAmp or CCAM!) and connect them to a 4-channel home setup for the Ultimate Genesis audio experience :)

14. citrus3000psi

Thats some interesting information about the sega cd. Thanks.

15. GrizzlyGT

GrizzlyGT Member

Very cool mod!! Ima have to try this one day!