Saints Row 10th year Anniversary, Unreleased builds

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Alexander Mejia, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Alexander Mejia

Alexander Mejia Currently working at Volition on Agents of Mayhem

Kao, speedyink, NexTheReal and 2 others like this.
  2. XeDK

XeDK -___-

Syclopse likes this.
  3. TheDude

TheDude car_2dr_muscle02

I got all that footage and some other footage + screens compiled into one big archive of early SR1 stuff. Would love that E3 2005 build.

Syclopse likes this.
  4. XeDK

XeDK -___-

Then you need a Alpha/Beta Kit to run that build.

5. TheDude

TheDude car_2dr_muscle02

I. KNOW. Don't talk down to me because I couldn't understand some guy with a language barrier in another thread - if you took one look at my Youtube channel you'd realize i'm not some common plebeian. I just want to get my hands on it if it even exists.
    I'd end up running it on Xenia whenever it ended up getting a stable release. Would screw around with the files too ofc (thanks Gibbed for unintentionally making the RF3 tools work with SR1, I was one of the first people to figure that out)
    That's not to say some/all of the early builds of the game could have been using a different compression & packing method for the archives however. Hell, everything could've been unpacked in those dev milestone builds.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  6. Alexander Mejia

Let me get these in front of Mitch. He was around for E3 Build and he said that Milestone 6-7 were after E3.

The dynamic shadow on the player model + the high framerate makes me believe it was either one zone with no streaming, or possibly an earlier Xbox dev unit.

Sa-Matra likes this.
  7. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

The large majority at e3 2005 were the Apple G5 towers, the alpha kits for the 360.

XeDK likes this.
  8. XeDK

XeDK -___-

From what I know anything at E3 was running on G5 Kits. Then the beta kit was later.

9. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

I had read about some Microsoft stuff being shown, perhaps privately, not on alpha kits. Most developers didnt get theirs until the end of June though. You also had some developers apparently just using standard PCs.

10. TheDude

TheDude car_2dr_muscle02

Looks like either the "e3city" or "e3_district" level to me, which would mean it's one zone with no streaming. You guys left behind the scripts for them in the final build along with some other early as hell scripts. At least you didn't leave behind the chunks. You guys did leave behind a heightmap for "e3_chunk02" however.

11. Alexander Mejia

It's not clear since we're really stretching the limits of Volition studio knowledge, but it's possible that build you saw in the video is a PC Proof of concept for Saints Row. It did not have any streaming, and was just one chunk that was loaded into memory. Apparently this was standard practice for a lot of games in 2005 since Development kits for Xbox were just not available.

TheDude and Syclopse like this.
  12. XeDK

XeDK -___-

This is True if we take a look at the Need For Speed Most Wanted at E3. All the videos are the same drag street race with a text on the right side that says "Work In Progress XBOX 360 EA" But anything at E3 was running on G5 Alpha Kits. But this means there must have been working Beta 1 Builds would love to find those.

13. Alexander Mejia

I can't speak for other studios, but it looks very similar to what they shipped on the system. It's possible EA had access to Dev kits before anybody else did due to Peter Moore's relationship with the two companies. This is complete speculation on my part. I do not personally know Peter Moore, and this was before I was really involved in the industry.

14. pato

pato Resolute Member

NFS Series in general are not HW demanding, at least on PC version, when MW was released, games like FPS were demanding 512mb, a 2.0+ghz processor at minimum, and a 64mb card, this was pretty much what MW required for recomended.

15. Sa-Matra

Sa-Matra Newly Registered

Thanks a lot for the thread and release of official information on development history of Saints Row games, Alexander! I'm not that much of Saints Row player but nevertheless it is very entertaining and educational for anyone who wants to be involved into game development.