Saints Row 10th year Anniversary, Unreleased builds

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Alexander Mejia, Aug 26, 2016.

1. pato

pato Resolute Member

Was Bling Bling once planned for Xbox and Gamecube?

There was also an Wii port of Saints Row being developed, did it make into the test part or only assets were made?

2. Alexander Mejia

Alexander Mejia Currently working at Volition on Agents of Mayhem

I read about these (on assembler games!) but Never saw one. I came into Volition in 2008, and Everybody was on a real 360 by then.

3. XeDK

XeDK -___-

Do you guys over at Volition want to send you're kit's to the e-waste at my place? also about the builds that you guys showed off from SR1 were they running on a final 360?

If you google Xenon Alpha Mac Kit many come up.

4. Alexander Mejia

I can't talk about the process of what happens to dev-kits. Sorry.

5. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

They know, they are just being cheeky.

6. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Not to cut in and answer something I shouldn't, but I believe Robert Gamble, Associate Producer, answered that in this video...

https://www.twitch.tv/dsvolition/v/86837913

I'm just not exactly sure as to when.

7. XeDK

XeDK -___-

Are we going to be able to see a release on that SR Money Shot game build:eek:?

8. Borman

Money Shot is already online, and its a later build.

9. Ss4gogeta0

Ss4gogeta0 Game Modder & Indie Game Designer

I wonder if there are any THQ wrestling betas floating around from the N64 era. I remember they used to put out alot of those types of games back then.

sometimes I miss old THQ. especially when they partnered with AKI...

10. Borman

There are. A few No Mercy carts at least.

11. Ss4gogeta0

Ss4gogeta0 Game Modder & Indie Game Designer

No Mercy was a good one. sad that there might not be any more WCW or other unique wrestling games..
    Rest in peace, AKI man

12. TheDude

TheDude car_2dr_muscle02

Crying shame you can't release any early builds of SR1 due to an (obvious) NDA. I'm a huge fan of SR1, and I've modded the retail build and fixed quite a few bugs. (certain cars not spawning in traffic, 2 songs not playing on the radio, .etc)
    Surprised the guys at Volition missed the Bagboy with trailer attached game freeze bug. When you abandon or drive away from a parked one with a trailer attached the game freezes, only way to circumvent it is to leave it inside Rim Jobs and go inside the vehicle selection menu, thus despawning it without hardlocking the game.
    There's also the various odd as hell audio bugs, stuff on the radio playing delayed/overlapping, due to streaming problems i'd assume. Certain sound effects like ped quotes and car door open/close SFX also play delayed sometimes as well.
    I've also noticed a lot of places in SR1 where if you pan the camera a certain way, the geometry unloads as well, looks like a case of command buffer overflow or something related to the PVS system.
    Welp, and the thread goes mute. Guess my autistic amount of knowledge about SR1 scared everyone off, same thing happened when I tried to contact Mitch Cronin.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  13. Alexander Mejia

Buildings disappearing are the PVS system. It was really hacked in as a last minute fix to try and fix the framerate before submission. The way we made games was really crazy back then. Things are more stable now and less technical risks are taken.

As for bugs, I don't have direct knowledge of why or why not certain bugs weren't fixed. SR1 was before I joined the company.

As for contacting people directly. I know for a fact that guy doesn't use any social media at all. Hell, I can't hardly get a hold of him unless I walk over to his office he's so busy so don't feel bad if you can't get a hold of any Volition employees directly. Back in the day when THQ owned us, we were specifically instructed not to directly interact with fans over social media. Those policies changed with Deep Silver, but some people have not gotten the OK to talk about things to people just because we're under a lot of NDAs and trying not to reveal too much of what we're currently working on.

As for releasing milestone builds of Saints Row, We need to check legal clearance. If I had to take a guess, we're past our license for releasing Saints Row 1 since there are limitations to how long you can distribute the music. Even if we were to rip the music of it, there are other problems that might occur, (or the game may not even run). Also without an emulator, I'm not sure if you could even run it without a XBOX360 Test kit, but I'm sure people here can tell me about getting around that.

TheDude likes this.
  14. Alexander Mejia

I'm not sure what happened to the stuff left in the THQ office when they went bankrupt. Any kind of WWE release would require permission from (I believe) 2K, who bought the WWE license to publish games, WWE, and any other potential rights holders.

Laws are not fun for history preservation :~(

AxlRocks and Ss4gogeta0 like this.
  15. Borman

There are plenty of 360 kits out there, but most builds should also work on hacked 360s. Emulators are being worked on, but are still a while away

16. XeDK

XeDK -___-

Here is a video of a build running on RGH hacked console running RGLoader.
    Sorry to bring this game back up.

17. TheDude

TheDude car_2dr_muscle02

Yeah, I tried adding Cronin on Steam and he nope'd out I guess due to the SR1 stuff I got on there.

And odds are an RGH console with RGLoader would run an SR1 milestone build just fine, you'd even be able to use the dev console if you had a USB keyboard hooked up I bet.
    As far as the music licensing goes, that definitely would be a problem. SR1 may well be the only game out there with LA Guns, Husker Du and Ned's Atomic Dustbin on the soundtrack. Then there's the umpteen obscure as hell long broken up mid 2000's Myspace-core bands on there. The Loved Ones, Bear Vs. Shark, .etc. Then there's the fact those milestone builds may have some tracks that were cut from the final game.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    XeDK likes this.
  18. Taemos

Taemos Officer at Arms

@TheDude - I didn't know Bear Vs. Shark was in the first Saint's Row soundtrack... I skipped it for SR2 and SR3 but may have to check it out. I had to google them and it turns out they reunited a few months ago. I really like(d) Bear Vs. Shark in case it isn't obvious.

@Alexander Mejia - I just wanted to say that I think it's awesome that you guys are doing this. My first experience with Saint's Row was after I first bought a 360. I went into Gamestop and told them I wanted a sandbox game "like GTA but without the hassle of going through the story to get to the good stuff" and the employee pointed me to Saint's Row 2. Bless that person. I played the hell out of SR2 and SR3... may have to revisit them in the near future. These types of interactions with the community are what make me want to continue to support a group of developers.

19. TheDude

TheDude car_2dr_muscle02

I actually dig them as well, the only reason I referred to them as Myspace-core is because post hardcore was a really popular genre amongst the Myspace demographic back in the mid 2000's.

20. Alexander Mejia

Thanks! Will relay this to the team.