Saints Row 10th year Anniversary, Unreleased builds

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Alexander Mejia, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Alexander Mejia

Alexander Mejia Currently working at Volition on Agents of Mayhem

Hi, I'm Alexander Mejia, from Volition. We did a big reveal with our Saints Row Undercover earlier this year releasing the PSP ISO on Unseen 64. Due to the positive response from fans, and you guys at Assembler, we've been given permission to show off MORE beta builds of Saints Row games throughout the 10 years we've been developing the game.

List of protos we showed over the week:

• Bling Bling PS2 (Saints Row Early Proto)
    • Saints Row Milestone 6
    • Saints Row Milestone 7
    • Saints Row 2 Custom Build (Used to make cutscenes for SR4 flashbacks)
    • Saints Row 3 POC 1
    • Saints Row 3 Pre-E3 Build
    • Saints Row 3.5 (What ETD was going to be before it got turned into 4)
    • Saints Row 4 Prime (A canceled Saints Row game)
    • Saints Row 4 Early Build, as it was morphing from ETD into 4
    • Saints Row : Gat Out of Hell Milestone 6

Personally, I'd like to add I'm a big fan of the kind of archiving work you do here. I wish there were more people in the gaming business who cared about preserving history. We actually have some tape backups from Parallax Software/Interplay days that we would like to look into, but we're not sure what software the tapes were written with. If anybody could message me with some resources it could lead to another treasure chest of stuff from the Descent/Freespace days.

We'll look into what we need to do a public release like we did for Saints Row Undercover. I can't guarantee that we can release anything but we're trying.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    psyk0pat, AxlRocks, coggy9 and 33 others like this.
  2. Charels

Charels always bored

Oh man this is sweet, I really wish more game developers did this kind of thing as it really appeals to quite a few fans.
    I'd love to know more information about Saints Row Money Shot other than that one build that had leaked.
    Also if you need help with tape drives I'm sure @Borman would be a huge help.

frogz2007 and NexTheReal like this.
  3. Killah

Killah Active Member

Very Nice
    Thanks bud wish all game devs did this !

4. NexTheReal

NexTheReal Just call me Nex

you guys are amazing, thanks so much

5. Colek

Colek Spirited Member

Wow, thanks! I would love to see some debug features in your already released games if that's possible! :)

SILENT_Pavel and NexTheReal like this.
  6. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Welcome to assemblergames! Want see more from Interplay!

7. skarpo01

skarpo01 Peppy Member

Thank you for sharing and welcome!

8. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Fly me out and Ill get some tape stuff going hah. Ive been dumping a rather large archive of tapes in my spare time. Ive had success dumping the header or first bits using Ubuntu, that can reveal some of how it was written. It helps if you have any other information about the systems being used. Feel free to PM me.

MrMario2011, DS2, D_Ban and 3 others like this.
  9. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Thank you guys for understanding our desire to preserve the history of games, including their development history! It's all very interesting to us.

Speaking of interesting, I'm VERY curious to see what you could bring up from the old Interplay tapes. I have some very fond memories of playing Descent, Whiplash, and Cyberia. Would be VERY cool to see anything related to them, or others from that era!

Thanks again for coming to Assembler, we really do appreciate it!

10. bearkilla

bearkilla Peppy Member

what a refreshing post!

11. startingfresh

startingfresh Member

yay pls release some of your early MS-DOS stuff

12. wombat

wombat SEGA!

@Alexander Mejia, this is so cool, you guys rock! Big fan of the franchise, especially Saints Row 3 on Xbox 360. Man I played that game to bits, over 70 hours in system-link CO-OP and all achievements unlocked :). Really hope you guys will show the beta builds of Enter the Domnimatrix DLC for X360.

D_Ban likes this.
  13. pato

pato Resolute Member

THANK YOU BASED VOLITION

I'm an aspiring game developer and I think the same over preservation, also I have been following Volition work since The Punisher, would love to see betas of SR1 and SR2, especially the last one as I consider it better than GTA IV.

Did you guys know that SR: Moneyshot was leaked years ago?

MrMario2011 likes this.
  14. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

Any info on that one game that was being made with Guillermo del Toro? Or Red Faction?
    Nothing specific just anything nifty like stories or a build if ones around would be nice.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  15. D_Ban

D_Ban Robust Member

I get tied up in life and this happens?! Volition I love you guys... no homo.. Saint's Row is one of the few games I can go back to anytime and play without getting bored.

Really nice to see you guy's here and you've only just added to my respect for your company.

I would also like to say if you're stuck on those tape's please do give @Borman a shoutout like he said above he's done a lot of tape dumping recently and found some really nice things like cancelled games on those tapes. Here's hoping for something super special on yours. :)

Cannot wait for Agents of Mayhem this might just finally convince me to buy a modern game's console to play. :p (Purple SR console anoybody? :p)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  16. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

As for questions, id love to know what sort of source control you are using, and how you plan to keep it accessible in the future.

Thanks for the confidence in me everyone. Need it after a trying week at the new job. I did have the PSP Saints Row up and running quicker than other people hah.

dj9mhz, fate6 and D_Ban like this.
  17. SpooferJahk

SpooferJahk *Insert title here*

This is why I respect you all at Volition, preserving history and respecting your fanbase.

18. Flash

Flash Dauntless Member

Thank you for sharing and i hope that you'll find some awesome stuff on those tapes.

This. I still remember those LAN parties with hours of Descent deathmatch. And my room spinning after that :D

19. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

I love seeing official support for this kind of archiving from a big-name developer like Volition. Thanks so much for all you've shared.

Thanks as well for reaching out re: the tapes. I'm certain there's people on here who will be able to help out.

20. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Woah, this is awesome! Thank you for popping on here. I've always enjoyed watching your videos and felt that you guys/girls have one of the best YouTube presences. I'll definitely tune in.