RVT-H Raw Copy

Discussion in 'Dumping and Backing Up Your Games and Prototypes' started by SWEGTA, Oct 11, 2017.

1. SWEGTA

SWEGTA Member

I recently managed to make a raw .img copy of my RVT-H. The RVT-H contained 3 beta builds of 'Bully: Scholarship Edition', so the intent here is to either make these files playable on an emulator or extract them.

[​IMG]

Any ideas on how I can open or extract its content? Cheers.

Traace and PixelButts like this.
  2. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

Hi Swegta,

Curious on how you made this raw image. Can't help about the emulator thing but have you been able to play these builds on the RVT-H unit using the antena solution I told you ?

Hope that you will find a way to check the content of these builds :)

3. SWEGTA

SWEGTA Member

Hey Baptiste,
    Yeah, I bought all of the equipment I needed (cables, controller, sensor etc.)

For a while it worked great, but the console bricked when it froze during a loading screen. Whenever I boot up the console now it just gives me a black screen. No sound, no visuals. I'm 99% sure this was caused by me accidentally pressing the Home button during this freeze. I've been reading up on this and it seems like the most plausible cause is a broken Bluetooth module.

I tried the 'Gamecuber Controller Method' to see if I could bring up the version number on the bottom right, and it worked. This indicates that the Wii isn't completely dead. Rather something is preventing it from booting up fully. Like I said, this is probably caused by a faulty Bluetooth module.
    Thankfully I recorded about 24 hours worth of footage before the brick happened, so I have a lot of beta content documented and ready to be used for videos.

Making this raw image is pretty much just an attempt at backing up the content of the RVT-H. I will soon be purchasing a new Bluetooth module and the tools I need to replace it.
    Right now my focus is on attempting to get the files that made up the 3 different builds. I know a few people who have shown a keen interest in trying to extract the content of this file. Hopefully one of them can figure it out. We'll see.

As for the hard drive it seems to work fine. I plugged it into my PC via USB and used Ubuntu to make a raw copy. It took a while to achieve this, but it all seemed to have worked out fine. At least now I know that the hard drive works and that the Wii is not fully bricked.
    I just have to figure out what the problem is. If it really is caused by the Bluetooth module then that'll be an easy fix.

kennypecheur likes this.
  4. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Try winimage to extract data. Might work might not. You'll only know once you try.

kennypecheur likes this.
  5. SWEGTA

SWEGTA Member

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I'm not sure if this is the program you're talking about, but I tried File -> Open..., and then selected the .img.
    It doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. wombat

wombat Site Supporter 2011,2013,2014,2015

The public key for RVT-H encryption is not defeated yet, at least there is no public knowledge of this. This is why you can't browse the content, you can only duplicate it (read more)

SWEGTA likes this.
  7. SWEGTA

SWEGTA Member

I see.
    Would it be possible to take the hard drive out of my bricked RVT-H and put it into another working RVT-H and run the games that way?

8. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

Just sounds like you have a dead BT module. I would just replace that.

9. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

Sounds good :)

10. Demon

Demon Robust Member

I popped on here just to reply to this, as @wombat pointed out sadly the key for the RVT-H isn't cracked/known publicly. I've heard rumors a few have it but they're being super anal about sharing it.

If you saw @Wombats link to OG you saw Jake had a Spyro RVT-H I happen to have a dump of the HDD to this and managed to extract the iso's via hex editing. The downfall is after trying with the RVT-R and public Wii key's I can confirm the RVT-H does indeed need another key. The only luck I had was getting 140MB of data to be read as a normal Wii image.

One cool thing, I found leftovers to an unreleased NASCAR Wii game mentioned in the hex data. Seem's there was only about 30MB of data left but for all we know it could have been an early tech demo which would put it around that size.

For now you've taken the best step on cloning the HDD image. You can indeed restore this image to another 80GB IDE 2.5 Inch HDD but I am unsure if you can switch systems. I know 100% from Jake's dump that it will work on the original RVT-H console.

11. jakeeeenator

jakeeeenator Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

I'm the person Demon and Wombat are talking about.

I used the program HDD Raw Copy Tool. And I connected the drive via a IDE to USB adapter. Then I bought this HDD (currently out of stock):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HKUR0M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I wrote my new image to the drive popped it in and it worked great.
    I did buy 2 drives however though because my original HDD (in the RVT-H) failed and I took out the internal disk and put it in a new drive. It was crazy and I was lucky it worked. After I got the good image though I bought another new HDD just to play it safe.

Demon likes this.
  12. MrMario2011

MrMario2011 Robust Member

I wanted to chime in about the broken BT board, that sounds plausible. Silly, I know, right? I've had the issue on one of my Wii consoles twice.

Do you have an official, Nintendo power supply? I know mine got shorted because I was using a low quality, bootleg PSU.

13. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

So you just copied the disk image over to another drive and put in back into the RVT-H and it worked? That's interesting, and not the same result I got when I was playing with this stuff. My experience was that about the only safe thing you could do was to do a raw dump of the drive and restore it to the same drive.

What worked in my tests:

Restoring the image to the same drive it was originally on, and putting in into the same RVT-H it came from.

What didn't:

Restoring the image to a different drive and putting it in the original unit (*)
    Putting the original drive with data into a different RVT-H
    Putting a different drive with the image restored to it into a different RVT-H
    Copying the image to the drive that was originally paired with the other RVT-H

(1) - this did work if I used exactly the same drive type (P/N and FW revision), and swapped over the drive PCBA, although I only did a quick test in this state since drive manufacturers don't recommend running with a mismatched PCB and HDA.

14. jakeeeenator

jakeeeenator Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

Maybe try using the same program I did. Because like I said I just made an image of the original HDD and wrote it to a new one. Now I did take the disk out of my original HDD as the drive failed. Maybe that changed something? But yeah the new HDD works great in my RVT-H.

sa1 likes this.
  15. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Interesting, I will have to dig out my RVT-H and have another play with it.

sa1 likes this.