rod_wod's unreleased games

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by rod_wod, Aug 6, 2010.

1. davenixdorf

davenixdorf Peppy Member

'Tarantula' looked very interesting ... shame that most of that Scavenger never saw the light of day!

2. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

Other shots of 'Tarantula'
    http://www.unseen64.net/2010/05/22/tarantula-psx-saturn-cancelled/

Mono has finally ( thank you ) updated the article about the 16 bit Mission Impossible by Ocean :
    http://www.unseen64.net/2008/09/30/mission-impossible-snes-concept-cancelled/

Then there is the Snes port of The Horde but it looks very similar to the 3DO version.

3. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Some mega drive for you

zeewolf -Mega Drive-
    -had a release on the amiga-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

x-woman -Mega Drive-

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  4. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

Thanks for the scans Rod. I need to get a scanner cheap as I have a few early 90s obscure comics that have adverts for some unreleased games.

5. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Keep the goods coming Rod. Love seeing what was never to be.

Yakumo

6. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Thanks guys more on the way..

7. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

Heck, I think you can get quite a few good HP scanners for something like 70 quid or less. My father bought a scanner the other day for around 100 quid. But check some HP scanners for something like 2 years (maybe even 3) ago, they are dirt cheap. And they work extremely well.
    My fathers old scanner (which I have now) is a PSC1500 series scanner(1510 to be exact), and it is a splendid scanner for the money. And it prints well too, but I will only use it, for its scanning stuff. Since if I want something printed out, I can probably get it printed out at my father or some where else.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  8. hrahn

hrahn Robust Member

Fun fact about Scavenger: Almost all development teams came from the demoscene. Lack of funding and guidance from the developer led to the demise of almost all prjects though, A.M.O.K. and Scorcher were the only two released games I remember. Into The Shadows had a running demo out before Quake, but no director to give the game a firm grip on gameplay or level design. They had great technology (the realtime demo rendered shadows of 4 light sources simultaneously on a 486/66, even shining through the bones of a moving skeleton), but without a firm grip they dabbled too long and when they finally agreed on the direction the game should take the technology was dated and funding dried up.

The guys (former demo group Triton btw, famous for their "Crystal Dreams II" demo) went on to form the team behind the Xbox game Enclave though.

Video of ITS:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKbw8z6DPgA

AMOK:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLRFenvBimE

Scorcher:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6yOXY6ETdM

Btw: The group behind Scorcher, Zyrinx, consisted partially of members of the Demo group "The Silents", which were also known as 21st century entertainment, the guys behind Pinball Dreams/Fantasies. Their Musician, Jesper Kyd, is still a well known game musician today.

Scavenger also did release this tech demo for the 32X:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOWZbydnlZE
    (parts of the A.M.O.K engine are in there near the end)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  9. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Ok here is the last

rocket rescue -MD SFC-

[​IMG]

Matrix runner -MD-

[​IMG]

robotech -N64-

[​IMG]

SONIC CD BETA -MCD-

[​IMG]

TEE OFF -SNES MD 32X SAT PSX-

[​IMG]

See you next time

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  10. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  11. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

12. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

..and PAL Virtual Golf.

13. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

So that's another project Core started on the 32X and later finished on the Saturn, along with Shellshock and possibly Tomb Raider? Then again, I've heard different opinions of whether the latter was first in development for the Saturn or not, but what's definitely known is that other games such as Swagman (or so I've been led to believe), Ninja and Fighting Force certainly were started on then-next generation platforms.

By the way, to fully complete this picture does anyone know if Thunderhawk 2: Firestorm was always meant for the Saturn and PlayStation, or was this originally intended for the MegaCD just like the original? Also, what about Blam! Machinehead? Core was a team whose peak came around my favourite period in console history, and I'd love to know as much as possible about their work around this time.

14. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

[​IMG]

15. Segafreak_NL

As can be soon above, Swagman was also started as an 32X project, as was Thunderhawk 2.

16. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

I doubt that Tomb Raider and Swagman started on 32X cause that article is from early '95 ( wces 95' I believe ) and the 32X has just been released so if a 32x version was ever in development I expect it was at least cited there.
    3DO and Jaguar are the versions missing.

17. Segafreak_NL

I didn't mention Tomb Raider, but yes Swagman was once started as a 32X or even a Mega Drive project.

18. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

Well, it's safe to say I was completely wrong about the origins of Swagman being purely on the Saturn... but then again, I must admit to not giving this particular game much attention before now - I guess you could call it one of Core's "sleeper" titles!

19. Segafreak_NL

It was produced in very low quantaties, which is a shame as it's a solid game. Check out some BETA shots here: http://www.segadatabase.net/segafreak/swagman.htm

(still looking for an earlier version with an earlier 'Zack' sprite), seen in previews

20. saturndual32

saturndual32 Active Member

I rememer having a GameFan issue with a preview of a basically finished Heavy Machinery for the 32X, by Scavenger. Isnt there a known proto of that game. It looked like a Road Rash type of game but with military vehicles. Whats more interesting is that Heavy Machiney was started on the Mega Drive, and was known as Nitro Wrecks and was supposed to look pretty impressive for that console. Whats weird is that i have never seen anything of that Megadrive project, not a single screenshot. Does anyone know anything about it?