Ripping GDR's

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Dot50Cal, Jul 19, 2006.

1. drx

drx BLAST PROCESSING. SITE SUPPORTER 2015

Alright, thanks.

2. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

Got my 5 DC's last night, 2 PAL worked and the Japanese one did after some faffing about - I cannibalised 1 for parts to get the Japanese one working and 1 has a dead laser. Anyhow my BBA just arrived and I'm looking to get cooking again - the problem is this thread isn't really a guide, but I did read a fair bit of it but many of the links are dead.

Anyone want to hook me up? :p

BTW ASSEMbler having is troubles with the disc/his GD-X (and usually GD-X is more tolerant to scratches). Hopefully we can move past them but there is a chance it is a lemon :(

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  3. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Me and Dot50Cal guide, many discs have been ripped this way.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cnbkymnjomt

If you need clarifications or help with this technique feel free to pm me.

Cheers,

FG

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  4. GilaTomster

GilaTomster Member

Hi Peeps, I really like this thread, as I too am trying to backup an origonal GD Rom. I've had some problems, The Instructions above using DreamRip as well as MasterC's Guide which uses TeraTerm Pro.

I've had slightly more luck with MasterC's Guide, which I followed everything to spec, but no dice. I think it's some Settings I have to change in TeraTerm Pro but unsure exactly what. When I check Local Box in Terminal Settings, I get letters going across the tera Window Screen instead of <<< as his guide says.

What Ultimately happens is, I can connect, but I get a Socket Error.
    Console enabled
    connect: No error
    Error opening socket

Process returned -1 (0xFFFFFFFF) execution time : 5.250 s
    Press any key to continue.

dc-tool-ip.exe -t 192.168.0.4 -a 0x8c010000 -x

I will try using dcftp's guide on dumpcast -sounds similar to httpd ack's method. I saw someone posted a link to Dumpcast using the Internet Disc, lucky for me, I have PlanetWeb's Disc. I will try that later.

-Thought I'd mention why I want to back up my own GDRom. I love Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. SA2 is the best. Ripped images I've seen on the net that were downsampled always has that crash at the end of the 1st level when Sonic Smashes a tram with his sky board. Also in part I want to extend the life of my dreamcast, same way for my ps2 which is why I used a harddrive in my ps2 to store games and movies and apps. -I don't like Ps3s mainly in part due to service fees and Sony Spying on it's users which basically prohibits 3rd party apps and hacks to maximize console's cool factor :/

-I'm a simple (newbie) guy, following FamilyGuy's guide on taking part the Dreamcast CD Lid is a bit complex for me, as I don't think I'd be able to put it back on, I'm not technical. -One thing I noticed, MasterC's Ripping guide, sounds like you don't need Dreamrip, just TeraTerm Pro (DCLoadip for dreamcast) the dreamrip.bin dreamrip.ttl and dreamrip.srec -Well thanx guys for the post. I'd appreciate any feedback, thanx

5. -=FamilyGuy=-

Are you using the BBA, the serial port or the sd-card?

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  6. GilaTomster

GilaTomster Member

Oh Hey FamilyGuy, I'm using BBA (BroadBand Adapter). I connect my Eithernet Cable from my PC Directly to my Dreamcast (disconnecting from the Internet). So I use the Serial Connection Option, Com Port 1

7. -=FamilyGuy=-

I don't own a BBA, so I can't tell for sure, but I beleive the cable needed for direct connection between two devices is a "crossed" ethernet wire. If it ain,t crossed it might not works... Not 100% sure though...

Good luck!

FG

8. GilaTomster

GilaTomster Member

Dam Dam Dam. F*** it. I'd be willing to send my BroadBand Adapter to you FamilyGuy or Ackmed or Dot50Cal (users here with high Rep) and 3 games to rip and I'd pay $ afterwards. I'd put a Tracker and Insurance on it, a blank data dvd, and a little $ for you to ship it back with a tracker and insurance. I'd then send like 50 bucks or so, maybe more.

FamilyGuy, what happened to your BroadBandAdapter? Just last year you were ripping GDroms at top of this page (10)

9. -=FamilyGuy=-

I never had any BBA, I developped a way to rip beta gd-r using one, but I've never owned one. Basically I figured out how to do it and Dot50Cal tested on real GD-R with his BBA.

I have no time to dump anything for anyone sorry.

FG

10. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Crossover cable is needed for communication between devices directly yes. Otherwise a switch is used. Unless you know what you're doing within the networking settings its a pain in the ass to get such a setup to work.

Wish I still had my BBA, be happy to rip whatever is wanted.

11. Agent2112

Agent2112 Newly Registered

I have my BBA plugged in through my router. I can go online just fine, but I can't figure this IP stuff out for DC-Load and DC-Tool. I have no idea what a mac address is. Can someone tell me step by step what to do? I have Windows Vista. My DC-Load disc has the IP set to 0.0.0.0. I also don't really know what arp is/does.

12. Jenkins

Jenkins Spirited Member

Quick question (before I'll start searching for a non-existing bug):
    I connected a sd card adapter to my Dreamcast and tried copying content from a GD Rom (SD Rip 1.1 - jj1dom). It worked serveral times on some gd roms. So does it work with GD-Rs too or must the case modded either way? The drive started to read (audible) but the programm refused to detect the GD-R.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  13. -=FamilyGuy=-

Read the guide on this thread, you can adapt it for sd-card dumping easily, instead of bba.
    Dumping a gd-r is very different than dumping a gd-rom.,

14. Jenkins

Jenkins Spirited Member

Thank you for your quick reply familyguy. Already downloaded your guide. My old copy of dc-load-ip must be here somewhere... Which method is easier BBA or SD card adapter?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  15. -=FamilyGuy=-

Bba as the guide is made for it, but sd-card should be a straightforward adaptation of it.