RIP Lemmy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by retro, Dec 28, 2015.

1. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

The musician Ian Fraser Kilminster, better known as Lemmy, has died aged 70 after being diagnosed with cancer only 2 days ago.

Lemmy was best known as the frontman and bassist for british heavy metal band Motörhead. However, he was originally a member of space rock band Hawkwind, providing vocals on their biggest hit, Silver Machine. Prior to that, he was roadie for The Jimi Hendrix Experience and was due to audition as replacement for former flatmate Noel Redding the week Jimi died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24806076

RIP Lemmy. Thanks for some great music and some great local gigs - I am sorry I didn't get to photograph you at my regular venue, at which you made frequent appearances!

TerdFerguson likes this.
  2. sa1

sa1 Rising Member

Thanks for the info.. RIP Lemmy. He was really something. Glad I could see him live many times rocking hard.

3. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I was introduced to them through Metallica's covers of Motorhead on a limited (but not really) edition Hero of the Day single and of course, through the songd they did for Triple H.

4. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

Damn it, I thought he was going to live forever!

5. Kyoto

Kyoto Active Member

Rest in Peace, wish I went to a gig back when :(

6. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Quite a shame. As soon as I saw the title I got a little bummed. He definitely will be missed.

7. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

RIP Lemmy

8. bacteria

bacteria I am the Bacman

Saw them in 1984 in concert, liked the band since 1983. Still one of my favourite bands. Might have been voted in the 70's as the worst band ever however they proved over the years they were a great, and influential band - one of the best in their sphere. Lemmy was true to his fans and quite a character. Will be missed.

Those who didn't know - Lemmy got that nickname as he was always broke back in the early days, so would say in a pub "lend me (lemmie) a fiver" (£5); hence the nickname "Lemmy".

Cool guy.

9. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

Did you know that Lemmy starred in an Amiga-exclusive game?

10. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

THAT looks awesome.

I hope in death, more people explore the range Motorhead had, The songs they did for the WWE were their heaviest, Ace of Spades is hardly representative of everything they did. They went all over the place musically and Lemmy had that unique voice no other had.

I didn't think Lemmy had long but I didn't think he'd be gone that soon after I came to that conclusion.