Ringing in the New Year with the game.com

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Mr. Sound-About, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Mr. Sound-About

Mr. Sound-About Never let dreams die!

Hey, y'all.

So to share a quick story I originally posted over @ AtariAge: I ambushed my buddy during our traditional New Year's Eve hike, by surprising him with two game.com Pocket Pro systems (with backlit screens, of course!), a compete.com link cable, and two copies each of Fighters Megamix, Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Williams Arcade Classics, and daring him to face off against me in each game. No, he did not leap off the edge of the mountain when he saw the game.com (though he may have, if he'd known anything about them going in). He agreed to my ridiculous challenge, aaaaand...

What a crock.

Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Fighters Megamix both refused to let us get past the fighter select screens in two player link cable modes, blaming a supposed connection error. I took this to mean "poorly written software" error. And I'm fairly certain my interpretation is correct, because Williams Arcade Classics actually allowed us to play Joust in two-player link cable mode. Even then, the experience was still pretty pathetic: The machines could barely keep up with everything going on, we could rarely tell which of the sprites we were supposed to be controlling, and et cetera. Despite all this we actually were able to enjoy the experience, if only for the pure absurdity of it all. But it was a relief to have it over with. Thankfully the rest of the night's festivities were far more enjoyable.

In retrospect, the 5 minutes we played Joust was definitely the most fun I've ever spent playing a game.com. It was also a learning experience because it showed me just how awful and flawed the software is. We were using NEW systems, NEW link cable, NEW games. Did the programmers of the two fighting games even test the link play modes on real, finalized hardware before the games shipped? And why does a video game from 1982 play like such a hobbled mess on a system from 1997? o_O

DSwizzy145, Durandal and ItsMeMario like this.
  2. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Peppy Member

I wasn't even aware there was a Game.com version of Fighters Megamix let alone a link cable mode
    Thank you for sharing

Mr. Sound-About likes this.
  3. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Gutsy Member

w000t, I have this still sealed "Resident Evil 2" for the game.com, but still no handheld.

Honestly, it was alreaady amazing to see the emulated videos of Resident Evil 2...the "graphics"...the sounds...I completely missed this device as a child back then.

And this post wants me to purchase one even more ! :'D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  4. Mr. Sound-About

Thanks for your interest guys. It was a curious experiment done specifically on New Year's Eve to achieve maximum zaniness. :D
    I was disappointed we couldn't at least play Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Disappointed, but not surprised.

I played through Resident Evil 2 to capture the ending for my game.com website: it was a frustrating, nerve-wracking experience, even with the cheats I specifically created for it. But then again, every game.com game is a frustrating, nerve-wracking experience.

I am collecting game.com stuffs for the purposes of preservation, and will be putting up all the scans & infos on the aforementioned website... when it's done. As with the Supervision, the real fun with the game.com is in the collecting, not the actual playing of the games.

AUSTIN PEYTON and ItsMeMario like this.
  5. Mr. Sound-About

:eek: > GAME.COM SUPER LINK PLAY UPDATE!!!

So I gave it a go the other day on my own, as my buddy was (conveniently) unavailable. Only this time, I linked two original (full-bodied) game.com systems together, thinking I'd have better luck than we did with the pocket pros. What happened?

Fighters Megamix... actually worked! What a shame, I had to play it! Only did one match, but it all worked fine. Couldn't bear to go back for more.

Mortal Kombat Trilogy... also worked. Poorly. It had lag. Nothing like performing an uppercut and having to wait for it to "load." Worse, the game still crashed. Yep. Four matches attempted, two were ruined by a "connection lost" message. Disgraceful.

Williams Arcade Classics = confusing, but functional Joust, just like the last time. Double flawless.

So what did we learn?

1). Joust always works. Kudos to the programmers.
    2). It's a 50-50 shot with Fighters Megamix.
    3). Mortal Kombat Trilogy is worthless.
    4). It seems clear there's a difference in the hardware somewhere between original and pocket pro game.com systems, that fiddles with the link play for some reason. Nice job with the cost-cutting measures, Tiger!

But it's not over yet!! Stay tuned for part III of the game.com link play fiasco when we'll be presenting Jeopardy! and Scrabble. Ooooh boy, am I ever excited.

AUSTIN PEYTON and Durandal like this.
  6. runwhiteboyrun

runwhiteboyrun Active Member

game.com isn't a system... It's like a broke ass calculator that grew up to think it could be a PDA and failed at life.

7. Mr. Sound-About

A broke ass calculator with a link port, thank you very much!

runwhiteboyrun likes this.
  8. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Very interesting thread, the game.com is a fascinating piece of technology. Or perhaps bizarre is a better word for it.

Mr. Sound-About likes this.
  9. Mr. Sound-About

Thanks. And I think the term "purposely crippled" is most apt. Tiger was always known as the cheap bastards of the industry.

I mean let's simplify it:

1). The system has a needless, kludgy interface with delays between anything you want to jump right into: i.e. booting the machine and playing the games.
    2). The game software is poorly designed, was obviously rushed thru development, and features lazily implemented.
    3). Major marketing points, such as internet connectivity and link play, are extremely disappointing in practice.

But fascinating? Oddly, I agree. If only because I enjoy the game.com as a research project. When my website is "finished," I hope to raise awareness for a few reasons:

1). I enjoy preservation & sharing the info, hoping some people will appreciate it and find it interesting.
    2). To keep people from making the mistake of wasting money on a game.com + games.
    3). If they ignore my warnings and still insist on buying & trying the system, at least they'll be going in well-informed.