RGH 360 with DVD drive problem?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Development' started by gs37, Mar 28, 2014.

1. gs37

gs37 Robust Member

[SOLVED] RGH 360 with DVD drive problem?

Backstory: I bought a Trinity slim for cheap. It had the error where games say "Insert into Xbox360" or something like that.
    Despite showing no obvious signs of being tampered with, I suspect the drive was swapped at some point and the DVD key doesn't match up.

I have some RGH experience, so I went ahead and RGH'd this one. FSD and everything is working great, but that disk read problem still remains- even with nofcrt ticked.
    I only have the CPU/DVD key provided by Xell. I don't have any information about the previous drive, if there was one.

Therefore, I was wondering how I could go about either:

Changing the drive's DVD key to what the KV expects it to be
    -OR-
    Changing the KV/NAND to accept the current drive's key

I would really appreciate any insight from someone more experienced than I am. :)

P.S. I know I don't *need* a DVD drive with RGH and that I can FTP the games over. It's just that I have a stack of games I want to backup. It'd be way faster to just rip them all than to download them all. I only have 10Mbps downstream. :/

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  2. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Change the DVD-ROM drive's key from the keyvault, would the most easiest or should I say "what I'd do" :p

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    gs37 likes this.
  3. gs37

gs37 Robust Member

Thanks for the reply, Hexi. You're saying to flash the drive to have the expected DVD key? What would be the best way to go about that. I don't have any drive flashing experience.

4. turfster

turfster i grow grass

Hexigon is talking about patching the nand/kv with a tool like jrunner with correct dvdkey I believe. That should work with a rgh but not a stock console.

Are you sure its not the drive that came with it? Did you try cleaning the laser or replacing the laser first?

If you take your nand and cpukey, open it up in jrunner..it will show the type of drive/dvdkey. See if it matches up with the dvd drive in the console.

But try cleaning the laser and drive first and test it. I bet its the right drive that came with the console. If not you need can do this.

Another option:

You would need to unlock the drive(depending on official dash it was on) or buy a unlocked pcb and reflash the correct OFW or CFW for the dvdkey given in jrunner. Your need jungleflasher to do this, depending on drive type.

gs37 likes this.
  5. gs37

gs37 Robust Member

Thanks for the reply! I will try cleaning the laser later tonight. It's worth a shot I suppose.
    I just opened my NAND in JRunner and it says that it should be a Philips/Lite-on DG-16D4S. Which is what it currently is.

Is there a way to get the DVD key from the current drive? I could then compare to see if this drive's key matches the NAND/KV.
    If it is original, then it's gone bad and I'll replace the drive and swap the boards.
    If it's not original, then I'll modify the KV to accept it.

But it looks like I have to find a way to determine this drive's DVD key.
    I have a good desktop computer with SATA, so hopefully I don't have to buy any/much equipment.
    ::more research::

6. turfster

turfster i grow grass

Yeah you would need a few things(usb pro v1 or v2, ck3i)

Read this:

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151

Most likely a laser cleaning, dvd drive cleaning. a laser replacement will fix this...or like you said get a drive replacement and swap pcb's

7. gs37

gs37 Robust Member

I took apart the drive and cleaned the laser with a Q-tip and alcohol. The error still remains unfortunately.

While I had it apart, I noticed a few things. There is a divot on the chip. Is that normal, or is that from a kamikaze attempt? Also near the top left it looks like some soldering might have taken place.

100_0902.JPG

I guess I'll try hooking the drive up to my PC and see what I can discover. I saw a YouTube video that said I can do a direct SATA -> PC connection as long as I use Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider.

8. turfster

turfster i grow grass

See if the laser is red when you try ejecting the drive...if nothing is coming from the laser its dead

yeah it had a kamikaze hack to it..probably drilled too deep and killed the pcb..if you get a usb pro v1 and ck3i or maximus lizard you could dump the ofw from it and flash it to a new unlocked pcb. But first check to see if the dvdkey(dummy.bin) matches dvdkey in jrunner(nand)..you could also replace that mxic chip as well on the pcb to recover it.

If that doesnt work you can create a ofw from info from your nand/cpukey in jrunner and use jungleflasher to create a new ofw or cfw to flash to a new unlocked pcb..they cost about $30-50 on ebay or even this pcb to see if it recovers.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...1.TRC1.A0.H0.Xltu&_nkw=ltu2+pcb&_sacat=171833

If you dont feel like buying all the stuff you need i could do it for you or ask someone on tx forums to do it...

You can do this..works for both drive's since you have your nand/cpukey already it will be easier.
    [h=1]http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138374[/h]

9. gs37

gs37 Robust Member

Would the PCB be completely dead if it was drilled too deeply or would it still kinda work?
    When I put in a 360 game disk, it spins up and through FTP or file explorer I can access the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders.

I'm beginning to think this might just be a bad flash job. Maybe? I don't even know. It's weird.
    I only paid $70 for the console, so I don't want to spend much on equipment to fix it. But I think I'm gonna start looking around for a decently priced x360USB.

EDIT: I haven't heard of that 360 Lizard device before but it looks pretty cool! Might look for one of those instead.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  10. turfster

turfster i grow grass

Could be a bad flash? Sounds like it

11. gs37

gs37 Robust Member

I fixed it!!!

To solve the problem I connected the DVD drive to my PC with a SATA to mobo connection. I left it plugged into the 360 for power.
    I then used JungleFlasherV0.1.96Beta(323) to read the drives DVD key. It was very different from what the KV was expecting!

I opened up J-Runner and created a new image using this newly obtained DVD key. I flashed the modified image to NAND and reconnected the drive.
    After booting to FSD, I put in a disk and it read with no problems! I'm so glad I was able to fix this without having to buy anything. :)

Many thanks to those who helped with this!

12. turfster

turfster i grow grass

awesome