RGB/Scart CRT-TVs for people in the US

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Arcade, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Arcade

Arcade Rapidly Rising Member

Hey Guys,
    I did some research and this might be interesting for anyone from the US who are into retrogaming and prefer CRT TVs over flatscreens for that purpose:
    Since there are no TVs with RGB/Scart input available in the US and here in Europe the last remaining CRTs are dirt cheap and easy to get I looked up the shipping costs, did some calculations and also can give y'all some tipps.
    A LOT of game consoles output RGB via Scart-cable out of the box, older systems may need a simple mod for this purpose.

Shipping with DHL for a 60*60*60cm package (max 31,5 kilos) is 89 euro (app. 110 USD).

Good CRT-TVs that I can recommend:
    21-inch is 55 cm diagonal picture-size. That's a great size especially for snes, md or neogeo. Also it's managable (around 20 kilos of weight)

JVC AV-21KM3BN (black)
    JVC AV-21KM3SN (silver)

SONY KV-X2101D
    • awesome RGB picture
    • NTSC compatible
    • also needs 220V
    • service-menu for picture-shifting and geometry settings

TVs like these are sold used for 10-50 euros.

Let's summarize the costs:
    30.- TV
    89,- Shipping
    30,- Voltage Transformer
    10,- Scart RGB cable for your retro console
    ----------------------
    159 euros (approx. 197 USD)

This is only a recomandation. All I can say is that RGB is the ultimate picture for retro-consoles.
    I'm totally willing to help anyone to get an RGB-enabled TV, I don't want your money, go spend it on stuff like this because it's worth it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

I don't know where you're getting your prices from, but shipping with DHL is a LOT more expensive from the UK. Try a minimum of £125. Although DHL are actually your Post Office service there, right? So I guess it might be a bit cheaper. Then you're forgetting that they won't allow you to ship a vacuum made of glass. There's a reason people don't do this ;)

Also, it's much cheaper to buy a Sony professional monitor in the US and use its RGB inputs. The 20" monitors with RGB go for around $20-50, maybe $100-$200 from a broadcast store. Here's a 32" for $175:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PVM323...ultDomain_0&hash=item4ababd5f4f#ht_500wt_1288

3. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I just got a quote using the weight and dimensions in the OP (31KG, 60x60x60)

Quote came in at £249.62

so yeah... get a PVM in your own country lol

5. Arcade

I looked up the price on their site.
    k, sorry.
    my fault, bad idea.

6. synrgy87

synrgy87 Well Known Member

unless you were shipping very cheaply in bulk it probably wouldnt be economically viable, TV + Packaging + Shipping + transformer etc, any import fees?

32" monitor heavy + awkward but awesome at the same time.

lugging a 28" widescreen CRT tv up my stairs and getting it in place where i wanted was a pain and dumping out my old dead 21" CRT monitor(thing was heavy!) serious armour plating inside them things lol.

7. Arcade

alright, stop pickin on me.
    I should have known better, I got some tubes by mail, but that's different from international shipping.
    got it. please someone delete this thread, I'm embarrassed.

8. synrgy87

wasnt picking on you lol, in theory not a bad idea n u were trying to help people.

if it were buying consoles and shipping them from us to uk i think that'd be an awesome idea, can fit alot more consoles in a tv box then tv's

9. geluda

geluda <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

S-Video isn't bad really, honestly you're not missing out on much, colours are a bit crisper with RGB and there is a tiny bit of interference with S-Video but after a couple of hours you get used to it. Sometimes I'd just play games in S-Video because I couldn't be bothered to reach round the back of the TV, that's how slight the difference is, only time RGB is important in PAL territories is when it's absolutely required to play NTSC games in colour. Don't beat your self up about it, turn up the colour a bit and set the sharpness more on the soft side, the differences will be minor.

10. synrgy87

i agree swapping scart cables is a pain, especially if its a big crt tv, thats why i got a cheap scart switch block, just sittin beisde the tv hellova lot easier and has RCA out that can be used for recording and audio output to other devices / stereo equipment.

11. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Its not required for that... most tv's here support NTSC anyway...

12. geluda

I'm thinking specifically the Playststion which at least from my experience has always needed RGB to display NTSC games in colour.

13. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Yes, when the playstation was current, not anymore though. Most TV's support NTSC these days.

Also, you could mod the console to force the colour and also not need RGB

14. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

It was worse for Americans. Good luck finding a TV who accepts 50hz in that era. Let alone PAL color.

15. geluda

I can imagine how that would be a neusance especially with PAL only games.

16. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

There are issues w/ the PVMs. A route you could go is an arcade monitor put into a box. It's what I have. You can potentially have a way better screen (Nanao, for instance) and not have to dick w/ the 25-pin connector. You do, have to make a box though.

17. Arcade

18. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Such as...? I've never had any issues with mine.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  19. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

What's so bad about using the 25 pin connector? There's nothing wrong with that. And not all PVMs have one - some just have BNC RGB. Whichever it is, just build a SCART adapter and you're fine.

20. sonik

sonik Site Supporter 2013

I like the idea of converting scart rgb to video component, and using a more recent crt tv with component input.
    Works like a charm!