RGB problems with consolized NeoGeo MV1c

Discussion in 'Arcade and Supergun' started by erkan, Sep 7, 2013.

1. erkan

erkan Spirited Member

I get the same symptoms with or without cart, but maybe there is some dirt inside the slot.

i should have got the CDZ instead *crying*

2. erkan

erkan Spirited Member

3. synrgy87

synrgy87 Well Known Member

i don't think that is an issue with the cable or how you are getting RGB etc from the MVS, something else screwy is going on here.(or the TV just doesn't like the MVS signal)

it seems asthough it's trying to display the crosshatch for the test mode i think dip switch 8 is the test mode switch (could be wrong), also there should be a switch to "pause" the system on boot which may show an image or an error. failing that, maybe bad video ram or bad 68000 or somewhere inbetween

with a game in the slot do you get anything different?

4. erkan

erkan Spirited Member

Yes, with a game inserted I get the menu, I dont have any controller yet so that is all I see with game inserted.

5. erkan

erkan Spirited Member

*working* MV1b ordered, hope that fixes the problems :)

6. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

The MVS is much better than the CD system. You'd miss out if you only had the CD system, plus the load times.

7. erkan

erkan Spirited Member

ok, this is crazy believe it or not. Got the MV1B and it was confirmed working from the seller. So it should be working 100%, (I believe him).

Added only 5v/ground to the MV1B and then connected NeoBitz to Jamma edge, red, green, blue, sync, 5v, ground. Connected composite sync to display and I get the EXACT same results on my 52" flat screen like I had with the MV1C (check out the video before) and my CRT dies out when it should show a game just like what happened with the MV1C. So maybe my MV1C was not broken at all?

Is it because of the 5V PSU being crap? (it is 3amp).

I know, but I would rather have a working system :)

8. kuze

kuze Peppy Member

3 amps will be more than sufficient, the 2 slot draws just under 2 amps and I'd assume the 1 slot uses the same or less.

9. erkan

erkan Spirited Member

Maybe the PSU is of bad quality? But should not the whole stuff not work at all then?

WTF this is frustrating as hell

Here is a new video

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  10. erkan

erkan Spirited Member

Update:

Tried it on a Commodore monitor: same behaviour
    Changed the PSU: same behaviour

11. MottZilla

Are you sure your game cartridge works? Does test mode work if you set the dip switch?

Maybe your NeoBitz encoder has a problem? It seems strange that both NeoGeo boards would give you the same problem. I guess you have a point that the NeoGeo CD wouldn't be giving you these headaches.

12. synrgy87

nope but you may have died with old age before a game loaded lol

if you're unsure about the power supply, hook up a PC ATX power supply to it, should have plenty of amps and a good solid 5V and 12v lines

13. MottZilla

I'm not sure how bad NeoGeo CD loading times are in reality. I've only ever seen NeoGeo CD games via emulation.

14. synrgy87

the first models of the NeoGeo CD is slow as all hell, probably not C64 or CPC cassette loading slow but still painfully slow. they fixed this in the CDZ or at least made it considerably faster

15. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Having owned both, faster is true, but both are insufferably slow loading.

16. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

The problem appears to be sync; sync is a forever repeating waveform--it never changes, so it's just a coincidence that it's dying out as the game starts.

I believe it's an RC (resistor-capacitor) issue where too much charge is accumulating (positive or negative) in a capacitor either inside the TV or inside an AC coupling capacitor between the Neo Geo and TV. This causes the signal to forever swing below or above the threshold for detection. In the case of using the Neo Geo's "raw" sync output from the JAMMA edge, that might explain it since this signal designed for high impedance arcade monitor inputs and won't work correctly with a TV's low impedance composite sync input. As for the NeoBitz, this is confusing; because it works for other people perhaps you're using the wrong source point of sync? I'm not sure how the NeoBitz is constructed or how it's intended to be installed, but for sure the encoder in the NeoBitz should be given a logic level sync, so I'd trace the sync signal from the JAMMA edge back to the other side of the 100 ohm resistor--this should be logic level.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  17. erkan

erkan Spirited Member

Thanks for feedback.

Yes, I tried it with an ATX PSU, same problems.

Next step is ordering a SuperGun from Arcade forge, it has a SCART plug on it, if I still get the same error on all three TVs expect a for sale thread in the classifieds and then I will stick with emulation for the rest of my life (or a Blue Elf 485-in-1 lol) :)

18. synrgy87

Video of your wiring job and what resistors / caps you have on the RGB and C-Sync lines?

if you're sure your tv's and monitors can support the MVS RGB-S

and it's happening the same on multiple MVS boards

then it's got to be something betweeen the MVS and the TV

I might dig mine out and see if i can replicate your setup and the issue if that helps?

19. erkan

erkan Spirited Member

Thanks, let me take a video this weekend.

I have mounted Neobitz directly to Jamma slot without resistors, I thought that it was unnecessary to use resistors if you used a Nebitz or similar device, am I right? (maybe that is the problem) :)

20. MottZilla

Maybe this has something to do with it? "The Neobitz-S board also includes an optional LM1881 Sync circuit to increase compatibility with other consoles and arcade boards."

You may be expected to provide the video signals at a certain level so straight from the JAMMA edge might not be right. Maybe there is something to the sync circuit as well. I'd explore that since both NeoGeo boards give you the same video problem.