RGB Modded NES has ghosting/halo-like effect, help needed

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by jayu, Feb 4, 2016.

1. jayu

jayu Member

So recently I got an NES RGB modded, just got around to testing it today. Note that this is being displayed on a PVM 14m4u. One of the first things I noticed was when I booted up Zelda and let the intro screen roll, there was a very noticeable after-image on objects contrasting with the black background, along with a halo-like effect around them. My friend that did the mod said he's personally never seen it before, but he is also using a framemeister, so that may be a factor. Does anyone have any idea what may cause this, as well as any possible fix? I'm pretty sure it isn't my PVM, as I don't really have this problem on my SNES.

Here are some pics

https://imgur.com/a/nBv6A

2. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

You really should try a different display to rule out your pvm. The output of the NES and the SNES aren't the same. If it's still present on another TV, then it's the console most likely. Maybe you need a few resistors or something.

3. Blaasvis

Blaasvis Active Member

It kinda look to me like you have way to high brightness or contrast levels set. What kinda of cables are you using ?

4. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Check on a different TV/monitor. Does it happen via composite, s-video or RF? If not, it's not the console (and I'll move to modding forum as more appropriate). Also try a different cable.

Do you have capacitors in the cable? How long is the cable?