Revolt on the Xbox

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Borman, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

I've been slowly building a collection of more and more builds of this game.

The most common build that the public saw was the Xbox Live beta build (July 31). This featured online only gameplay, and is essentially non-functional at this point. I do believe that the assets were used for the source build, discussed later.

Less common is the Beta Live kit build for August 2002, obviously meant for the rare Beta Live kits, but more or less is the same as the build above.

A few years back, someone was able to get their hands on the source code for Revolt. It turned out that it was from the Xbox build. This source build finally offered some single player functionality, but is really a bit of a mess, with debugging options, incomplete functions, and graphical glitches, including an unfinished hud. This is where those earlier assets come in to play

Here is where it gets more interesting. The first build that I discovered has a bit of a strange date in the XBE, of January 2004. I feel as though this build is actually from 2002, and either the time was set wrong or someone built the game from old source in 2004, as it is not quite as complete as the next build. It still as a "Quit" button, something you might see on a multigame disk like an Xbox Live Starter Kit. This build does not have all of the vehicles unlocked (and the cheats dont seem to work to enable them), but the HUD is much more complete, and the graphics are essentially flawless. Some tracks are also disabled. Multiplayer is disabled, which I would imagine would have been split screen. I have yet to test System Link on any build though. This build includes two XBEs, one a more standard retail release, and one debug which enables some of the battle mode tracks and other tracks that would have been available online.

Videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oma0zykaO7c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59x9KftVWp4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I176_nMeE5o

This last build is one that I just recently got. It was built in June of 2002. Removed is the "Quit" function, and added are all of the cars, although some may not have been intended for use such as the trolley (which modders hacked in for the PC version). Gone are the Quit and Instructions menu options. Multiplayer still seems to be disabled in this build though. Just based on how the game was shaping up, it would make sense if this build was a few months after the previous one, but that would be hard to confirm in this day and age. Ive really just started to scratch the surface of this build, so it'll be interesting to see if I can enable anything else.

Videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBodYs9B1wo

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    Syclopse likes this.
  2. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. I loved Re-volt, what a great game!

It's a real shame that it was cancelled for Xbox. Was a reason ever given? 2002 was quite some time after the original releases, I guess.

3. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I wonder if they ever had planned on properly doing a release. From all the different versions it would seem they only go so far as to making the Live beta version functional.

4. Borman

From what Ive gathered, Microsoft was really intent on bundling a lot of free software with Xbox Live, as this isn't the only title Ive found that really focused on that Live functionality. I think Revolt could have continued to have been packed in. What is notable for me anyway is the continued lack of the single player championship mode that you might expect.

If we assume that 2004 is correct and not a wrong date, then it could be that they were willing to give one more shot in having it included on some sort of disk, thus the instructions and quit option. Lots of possibilities.

As for a reason, I haven't seen one. Im starting to reach out to some of the developers, so we'll see what happens there.

IGN's description for Revolt Live is:

So at some point, there may have been a championship intended for the game. Or it was just wrong. I havent gotten a clear answer on the source code's date, but either way that included a bunch of non-Xbox stuff so only so much can be learned from that.

When you look at the build dates of the beta live stuff, they are later than the other builds, so it was obviously branched or modified. Really a messy development hah

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  5. davenixdorf

davenixdorf Peppy Member

Played this to death on my whoe-fully under-powered PC back in the day ... shame the xbox build never saw a proper release!

6. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I'm content with the Dreamcast version, so far I haven't seen anything that separates the XBox version aside from Live playability. Unless I've missed something.

Too bad we can't get the source and shore it up.

7. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I also had the DC version a while back. Loads better than the PS1 version, but that's to be expected. I'm happy to hear any info about it, though. Thanks!

8. xaeroxcore

xaeroxcore Rapidly Rising Member

Looks like the Dreamcast/PC version. Thank you for share the videos and the information!!Are you going to put the beta available for download?

9. Borman

Im not looking to release them right now, no. That could change in the future, but right now I cannot afford to give them away, having paid quite a bit for them, and yet I dont think community dumps are viable either. So it will have to wait until I can afford to lose the money :)

10. CrAzY

CrAzY SNES4LIFE

Very cool! Glad to hear someone out there is amassing various builds of Revolt. Was always a fun game, hope this continues & that someday a Frankenstein build of a mish-mash of data can be released so that it can sit aside other great games on the Xbox. Thanks for all the videos, as always.

11. Paintballpsyco2369

Paintballpsyco2369 Spirited Member

Will have to check my build dates, but I have a disk at home that has the Xbox source and a playable copy of the game on it, if I have time this weekend I will check out the dates and such on it... Played with the source code many years ago on the disc, was never able to get a proper build though out of it to make it work...

Paint

12. Borman

The version in the public is the one I talk about being built from the source. Unless you pulled it from a kit yourself, it will likely be that one. The date is meaningless on it really.

13. Syclopse

Syclopse .

His disc is "Tech Beta Revolt Online August Beta" XL00802W-B1

14. Borman

Whos disk? If he has a disk with the source code on it, then the build on it was likely built from the source, which is out there. Like I said, I have the beta live version, the public beta one, and a handful of private builds.

15. Syclopse

Syclopse .

16. Paintballpsyco2369

Paintballpsyco2369 Spirited Member

I have another disc though (not pictured), it has 2 folders on it, one called "SRC" The other called "Game" and then a "read me" file that explains it as a "Welcome to the revolt for xbox online development program" States that the disc contains all the source code to build it, and a playable copy of the game. Have tried to build it more than a few times over the years, but I am not compiling some assets correctly or something so have never been able to get it correct.

The picture link is a PAL Beta Live disc, and then I believe I have one of the XBL public beta kit discs as well (the ones that came with the green box kit things...), then of course this one with the code. Haven't taken any of this stuff out in quite some time really lol.

Obviously I forget to look into this over the weekend, so will try to in the next few days here lol.

Paint

Syclopse likes this.