[Review] Turbo Everdrive -English-

Discussion in 'Turbo Everdrive' started by aleomark, Sep 14, 2012.

1. aleomark

aleomark Spirited Member

[​IMG]
    Click to enlarge

Hello friends! Once again I am sitting here with a cup of coffee writing up a new flashcart review for you, hopefully you will enjoy it! This new flashcart for the Turbografx 16 console (known as PCEngine in Japan) is called Turbo Everdrive, it was made by the Ukrainian manufacturer Krikzz, so without further ado, I present this review to you. Greetings from Costa Rica.

Introduction
    Krikzz is a manufacturer that has a lot of experience in the flascart scene, he has launched several flashcarts to the market such as MDEverdrive, SNESEverdrive, Mega Everdrive, among others and recently, he has partnered with Ikari_01for developing and launching the sd2snes. This time, he is presenting to us the new Turbo Everdrive for the NEC most acclaimed console: the Turbografx16 (a.k.a. PCEngine) and its variants (turboduo, PCengine duo, duo r, duo rx, supergrahpx etc.)

For more info, check wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboGrafx-16 .

About the reviewer
    [​IMG]
    My nickname is usually Aleomark, I want to add in this section that I have already done several reviews in the past, both in English and in Spanish, about flashcarts for different companies and retro scene accessories, so you can take for sure that in my analysis you will find a broad perspective about comparison and, most importantly, neutrality when it comes to analyzing and writing my reviews, I thank those who sponsored my reviews sending me samples, but when doing the analysis I am as objective as possible, so that you, the readers, can make sure you are reading a good review which you may use to base a decision of acquiring the product.

What is the Turbo Everdrive?
    The Turbo Everdrive (TE) is a device containing a PCB with chips and a flash memory designed to load roms and to work as an Hu-card. Thus, the user can play his backups easily in the console as if it was the original card/game. It is a cart with a simple set up, just copy the roms of the backups in a microSD (regardless the region and console modification), insert the microSD in the TE, plug power and turn the console on, you will see a list of games in the screen, move the pointer and select the rom that you want to play and then press “run”, in a few seconds the game will load and will be ready to play.

Furthermore, you can play homebrew games or load free programs available in the scene for this console.

Why buying a flascart instead of playing with an emulator for free?
    Because if you are a fond of retro-consoles/videogames, you may know that you just cannot compare the feeling of playing with the actual console, joysticks and peripherals in a tube TV or ctr to playing with an emulator in a PC or modern console. Besides, you get a very special feeling when you play today the games you once played back in childhood, also you can play those games in the actual conditions for which they were created.

[​IMG][​IMG]

How does it look like?
    This flashcart is just a green PCB with the inscriptions: TURBO ED, Everdrive and http://Krikzz.com, same size of the original Hu-Cards, it does not have stickers; in other words, the internal circuits are exposed. This time is difficult to customize the flashcart; nevertheless, some resellers offer the product with case, but if you were thinking of customizing it yourself, it could be a little hard because, at least by now, the cases used by those resellers are only sold with the cart.

In this case, this situation will not be a significant problem since the PCEngine duo r has a cover at the top so basically you just have to close the cover and the PCB will be protected from dust, or any other environmental factor.

At the time I received it, this was what I got:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Click to enlarge​

The flashcart comes in a sealed plastic bag with an inscription that states that this product might be sensitive to electrostatic discharges and it has to be opened in a static-free environment. Also, it is protected by bubble plastic wrap and cardboard.

Unpack it and you will see the Turbo Everdrive and its components, you have to be careful with the switch because it needs to be adjusted accordingly to the type of console that you have (PCE or TB16), if you do not adjust the switch correctly the flashcart will not work properly. Some users have reported the flashcart compatibility with different console versions (with/without region mod) and everything seems to work fine, the USB flashcart version cannot be used with the supergrafx because it cannot be physically plugged in the console card port, but any other version have good compatiblility.

One helpful hint to protect the flashcart when it is not being used is to get a TB16 game and use its box (CD shaped box) , you can create a nice cover, print it and the result will be a fine case for the cart.

[​IMG]
    Click to enlarge​

What does the product include?
    What you get is simply a PCB with/without extras (SD, case, labels, etc), depending on the place you buy it from. If you buy it directly with Krikzz you will get just the PCB boxed up for shipping.

Manufacturer’s Specifications
    PC Engine and TurboGrafx-16 compatibility.
    FAT / FAT16 / FAT32 format compatibility.
    MicroSD cards (32GB max.) compatibility.
    Quick loading (5 – 10s.).
    USB port for homebrew usage (optional).
    Street Fighter II compatibility.
    Reset button.
    Rom memory (8Mbyte).

Updates and support
    Krikzz has very good prestige in the scene, he is renowned for being kind and accessible when providing support in the official forum, a lot of people have witnessed that if the flashcart requires support or needs to be repaired or exchanged for another unit you can send the flashcart back to Krikzz for him to take care of it. Furthermore, the Assembler’s forum already has a large Everdrive community so other users can help you out if you have an issue with the cart.

Updates are very easy to do because you only need to save the update on the microSD and load them as if they were any regular game.

The Menu
    The menu is very simple but very useful and ready to operate, it is just a black background with white letters. You can use the d-pad to move up/down or left/right to change the page, basically, just browse for the rom/game you want to load/play and press the “RUN” button, right after this, the game should be initializing.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Click to enlarge​

If you want to change the game just press the “RESET” button on the flashcart and it will take you back to the menu.
    If you press the “select” button in the menu, the last game in the flashcart will automatically load.
    If you press the “I” button a screen with additional information regarding the flashcart will be displayed.

[​IMG]
    Click to enlarge​

What about compatibility?
    This is one of the most positive points of this flashcart not only because you can use it with a PCEngine or TurboGrafx16 just by adjusting the switch, but also because you can load PCE and TB16 roms in your console with no need of any modification.
    Some TB16 games screenshots played in a PCE (no region mod):

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Click to enlarge​

Conclusions
    This flashcart will fulfill the expectations of the thousands of Turbografx 16 users who were missing this great opportunity: it has a good price, microSD support, no PC programs required for the initial setup, it has great compatibility with the different console versions and it loads TB16 games in the PCE and vice versa with no need of any hardware modification. In my own case, the starting setup was very fast (just what I lasted exporting the roms to the microSD), plug in, power on and just like that I was ready to play Jackie Chan Action Kung Fu XD. In my opinion, the only disadvantages that I found were the lack of possibilities to customize the cart, hopefully a new “bare” version can be sold for customers to “dress” it up themselves and the fact that it does not store saves, which is not a big problem if you remember that there were a few games that had a Hu-Card integrated battery such as Poupolus, most of the games with saves were CD games, not Hu-Card games.

Pros
    -High compatibility, over 99% of the TurboGrafx 16/PCEngine games.
    -Region free and “console free”, compatible with TurboGrafx 16 and PCEngine (different versions).
    -Updates and support.
    -Factory microSD support.
    -Immediate loading speed.
    -No PC software required.
    -Stable menu.
    -Very quick setup!

Cons
    -Unattractive menu.
    -No customization possibilities or very difficult.
    -No cheat manager.
    -No saves Stored.
    -No passtrought option if using CD

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Click to enlarge​

Demonstrative video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb7rVJlQU

Get one at:
    retrogate.com
    stoneagegamer.com
    emere.es
    hardcore-gamer.net
    warnersretrocorner.com
    stuffpoint.ru (Для стран СНГ)
    Playtronics (Brazil)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  2. c0nn0r

c0nn0r Member

Nice review! Can it be used to play CD ROM ISOs?

3. aleomark

aleomark Spirited Member

No, it isn't a odde, if you want to play cd games you need to have a cd unit.

4. Pushky

Pushky Rapidly Rising Member

just got mine today, and for me this is perfect debating on getting the mega everdrive for my mega drive also

5. laghi72

laghi72 Member

What about saves, particularly if you want to play RPGs?
    I own a TurboDuo system. Could I play also CD-based Roms with everdrive?

Thanks

6. blotter12

blotter12 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

It doesn't have save support, but there was only 1 game on the pc engine that had built in saves anyway... If you have the turboduo, you should be able to use the turboduo's save capabilities.

To play CD games, you'll need a disc (you can't put the image file on the everdrive). You can use the everdrive as a system card. Check here for compatibility: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?40606-CD-BIOS-Loading

7. laghi72

laghi72 Member

Thx for infos:)

8. Dr.Wario

Dr.Wario Spirited Member

So, it is possible to use the everdrive as an systemcard 3.0?

Arr not for the normal Pc-engine/cd-rom² setup :(

time to get and arcade card pro