[Review] SMS Master Everdrive -English-

Discussion in 'Everdrive Master System - Master Everdrive' started by aleomark, Mar 10, 2011.

1. aleomark

aleomark Spirited Member

[FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    *Click to enlarge*​
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Hello friends! again I’ll analyze another of Krikzz’s (ukranian manufacturer) flashcarts, this time I will speak about a cart created for the old system of Sega, the popular Sega Master System, let’s have in mind that it was a console that competed against NES to rate number one in the 80's. It was quite popular, especially in Europe and Asia, but its success was somewhat discreet in America. Furthermore, this console had several versions that, primarily different in size and shape.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Introduction
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The[/FONT][FONT=&quot] SMS is a cart that will allow you to play the Sega Master System roms that you usually play on emulators in the very console, as if it were the original cartridge; in addition, it can play the SMS games on a Game Gear console if you have the corresponding adapter.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]About the reviewer[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    My nickname is usually Aleomark, in some webpages of CR I am also known as Sousuke, but internationally and officially I prefer Aleomark, and I want to add in this section that I have already done several reviews in the past, both in English and in Spanish, about flashcarts for different companies and retro scene accessories, so you can take for sure that in my analysis you will find a broad perspective about comparison and, most importantly, neutrality when it comes to analyzing and writing my reviews, I thank those who sponsored my reviews sending me samples, but when doing the analysis I am as objective as possible, so that you, the readers, can make sure you are reading a good review which you may use to base a decision of acquiring the product.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]SMS Master Everdrive… what’s that?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I said before, it is a flash-cart which can load the SMS roms through the menu that will show in the screen once the console is powered on with the cart already inserted, then just play! Quite simple, you only have to previously set the roms on an SD card or RS-MMC (not included), the SD Card or RS-MMC must be placed in the cart slot and that is it. Game On![/FONT][FONT=&quot]

How does it look like?
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]What[/FONT][FONT=&quot] you get when the postman leaves the package is something like what you see in the picture below:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    *Click to enlarge*​
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]When opened,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] you will find a small square package carefully wrapped in bubble wrap and cardboard, just open and you’ll see: the bare PCB in green, the chip and the SD card or rs-mmc slots, some come with a USB port (if you bought this version) useful for homebrew programmers, if you're not a programmer, you won’t miss this function. Something that you should take into account when ordering is which version of the cart is more appealing to you, with or without USB, because they have different prices.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    *Click to enlarge*​
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    *Click to enlarge*​
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]At the time you get[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the cart, it comes bare, without case, so you should find an old game to open it, remove the original PCB and place the Master EverDrive, as follows:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]As the[/FONT][FONT=&quot] PCB is standard size, we can take any game for Sega Master System so that we donate his case. After the game we decided to sacrifice, we open with a screwdriver with a cross current. I recommend having previously removed the label and any label or glue residue that remain, so that our cartridge looks like this:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    *Click to enlarge*​
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    *Click to enlarge*​
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The[/FONT][FONT=&quot] open and we score more or less where we make the holes for the SD, once marked, cut with a cutter, I recommend it with calm and patience for you is a pleasing result at a glance:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    *Click to enlarge*​
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]We put[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the PCB and refit, we can finally create a label, or get off one from the official support forum for free, print-I use glossy sticker paper, and paste it into the box. Here's the result I got using the label and insert user Sheath, all credit to him.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    *Click to enlarge*​
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    This may be annoying, but it could also encourage some of you to strive for a good customized result; nevertheless, this process is important if you want to protect your flashcart.

*There are re-sellers who offer the cart with the case and label, but the price is expensive.
    *You can use a rs-mmc so there is no need to make a hole in the case; however, you have to take into account that if you want to use the SD for other purposes, you will have to open the case again and take the card out.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Final result:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    *Click to enlarge*​
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    *Click to enlarge*​
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    What does it include?
    There is not much to say in this section, what’s included is just what’s needed to play: the SMS Master Everdrive PCB and that’s it. You just need to “dress” the cart, to have a formatted SD or rs-mmc and add the roms. The case is very important because it protects the PCB, but it’s not mandatory, the console won’t stop working if the PCB does not have a case. The SD or rs-mmc needs to be 2GB or less (higher capacities are not read), enough capacity to save all SMS roms. No written manual.

Manufacturer Specifications
    Flash cart for Sega Master System
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]+ max supported ROM size up to 8mbit (1mbyte)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]+ 32kb FRAM for game saves keep.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]+SMS and SG-1000 games are supported[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]+Supported standard sega mapper and codemasters mapper[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]+Cart can be used on GameGear via Gear Master adapter[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]+USB port for homebrew development*[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]+OS can be updated from SD or USB[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]+ save ram data can be stored or loaded from SD card[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]+ SD/MMC cards support.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]+ FAT16 support. 2GB max partition size[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]+Supported SD/MMC size [FONT=&quot]2GB max[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]+ flashed game will stay in memory after power off. so no need to choice and reflash game after each reset or power off[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]cart comes without a shell, but standard shell can be used[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]*[/FONT][FONT=&quot]USB port available only on "Master Everdrive +USB" cart version[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]*[/FONT][FONT=&quot] homebrew software could communicate with PC via virtual serial port interface. All USB port operations controlled by SMS Z80 CPU, so USB port can not be used if cart not attached to console.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

Updates and support
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The current firmware version and OS are version #1 factory default, which, by now, seem to be very stable though it is possible that new versions may come out in the future. The OS is easily updated (just upload a file as if you were uploading a game), but the firmware can be a bit more complicated because you’d need a JTAG cable and an interpreter suite in the PC.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Regarding support, I have witnessed in different forums that if you have a hardware problem with the SMS Master Everdrive or Super Everdrive, Krikzz takes it back to check it up or repair with no additional cost.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Menu
    The menu is simple, it is black background with white letters. Though it’s not a very attractive menu, it is free from errors and fast browsing, what is very positive. The menu when initializing shows the OS version in the left corner at the bottom and the options:

Start Game: for playing the flashed game that you have on the memory.
    Select Game: for browsing in the SD card and to load a different game from the one you flashed in the memory.
    Toolbox: takes you to sub-menu with more options:
    -------------------->SAVE/LOAD SRAM: for saving or loading the progresses in the games that required battery to/from the card.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]-------------------->Device Info: shows information about regarding the flashcart.
    -------------------->Update OS: for updating the OS of the cart. (NOT firmware)
    -------------------->About: shows flashcart credits.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]There is not cheat manager included yet.

Compatibility
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Compatibility[/FONT][FONT=&quot] is high, it is assumed that 100%, no one has reported any game unable to be loaded with the Master EverDrive yet. This section is always the most important for a Flashcart along with ease of use, so if I were rating this section, it will get 5 stars. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Some screenshots using the Master Everdrive:
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    *Click to enlarge*​
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]This is how it looks inserted in the console:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    *Click to enlarge*​
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Conclusions:
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The[/FONT][FONT=&quot] SMS Master EverDrive is a flashcart that came to bridge the gap between this kind of devices and the SMS console because the only existing flashcart for this console is the tototek, which is rather archaic and its use is complicated. In the future another company (Neoflash) is going to launch a flashcart, but with the typical problems to which they are associated. So, nowadays this is the best available option for the Sega Master System and it’ll probably be for long. The manufacturer of this device is experienced enough in the flashcarts business and gives good support in the official forum. The price is quite acceptable, so if you are a lover of this great console I recommend you to get one.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Pros
    • high compatibility.
    • SG-1000 games can be played in a Game Gear with respective adapter.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]• SD o rs-mmc memory.
    • Support and Free Region
    • Rom keeps on the flash memory even after turning off.
    • No need inserted cart to booting up.

Cons
    • No case.
    • Unattractive menu.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]• No Cheat Manager.

where can I get one?
    retrogate.com
    warnersretrocorner.co.uk
    store.kitsch-bent.com
    tototek.com

Interesting Links:
    support forum

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    illustrative video

[/FONT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoZJE4P5gAo#noexternalembed&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR05AzjwPbU#noexternalembed&feature=player_embedded

------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Clarifications

-sega master system roms functioned in a sega master system
    -sg-1000 roms will work in a sega master system
    -sega master system roms will work in a game gear with the appropriate adapter (master gear)
    -sg-1000 roms will work in a sega game gear with the appropriate adapter (master gear)
    -sega game gear will not work on a Sega Master System
    -sega game gear roms will work in a sega game gear using modified master gear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pics using SMS MASTER EVERDRIVE in a Sega Game Gear trought Master gear:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    *click to enlarge*​

[FONT=&quot] ---------------------------------------------------------------------[/FONT]
    Links were it was posted:

http://www.underground-gamer.com/fo...00&page=last&page=p575329&page=p575329#575329

http://www.bitgamer.su/forums.php?a...14&page=last&page=p264818&page=p264818#264818

http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_revie...rdrive_1582337

http://www.bo-anime.com/Foro/index.p...1.html#msg5751

http://www.imperioanime.com/foro/ind...6128#msg296128

http://wackoon.com/foro/index.php?sh...t=0#entry90275

http://cosplaypartycr.com/foro/index...9491#msg269491

http://www.mcanime.net/foro/viewtopi...805430#6805430

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. aleomark

aleomark Spirited Member

review updated

3. NTM

NTM Rapidly Rising Member

Great review! Mine should be here in a few days.

Where is the information on this mod?

4. aleomark

aleomark Spirited Member

just need short pins which used for switch between gg and sms mode, pin 2 in top row and pin3 in bottom row count from right side

5. erkan

erkan Spirited Member

What is CR?

6. aleomark

aleomark Spirited Member

CR means Costa Rica.

7. Bootay

Bootay Rising Member

FYI,

These are the only roms that I found not to work. I am only at OS 2 and I noticed it is on OS 4 currently so I will have to retry these once I upgrade:

Master System:
    Asterix & The Great Rescue
    Back to the Future 3
    Baku Baku Animal (No control)
    California Games 2
    Chase H.Q (Graphic Glitch)
    Cosmic Spacehead (Graphic Glitch)
    Desert Strike (Graphic Glitch)
    Home Alone (Graphic Glitch)
    New Zealand Story (Graphic Glitch)
    Operation Wolf (Graphic Glitch)
    Predator (Graphic Glitch)
    Prince of Persia
    Rambo III (No Control)
    Space Harrier (Graphic Glitch)
    Speedball (Graphic Glitch)
    Sports Pad Football (Controls are weird, might need "Sports Pad" to play)
    Super Tetris
    The Simpsons: Bart Vs. Space Mutants (Graphic Glitch)
    Wanted (No control)

SG-1000:
    The Castle
    Kamikaze
    Poseidon Wars - Space Panic - Rambo

8. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

First off, Rambo III is a light gun game, that's probably your issue.

For the other games, after testing on mine (OS 4, US SMS), I have the same results as you with regards to which games either get a black screen or crash or have graphical glitches. Several of the games you listed I've never heard of on the SMS.

In particular, a good example is Space Harrier, which has a lot of graphical glitches. I have that game in cart form, and it's fine. Let's see what Krikzz can think of.

So I tried these games on my Genesis Everdrive, and had interesting results. Games that had graphical glitches on the SMS didn't seem to have any on the Genesis. Games that booted to a black screen did so on both for the most part. However, there were a couple Game Gear to SMS converts from Chris Covell that weren't working on the Master ED, Frogger and Pop Breaker. They would get a black screen, but on the Genesis both work fine!

9. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

hmm, space harrier works just fine on my sms2 pal and on gamegear via master gear adapter

10. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

What about some of the others, like Home Alone?

11. Bootay

Bootay Rising Member

Greg2600: Thanks for looking into it. I know Rambo III is a lightgun game. But it still doesn't work with the gun plugged in for me. I can shoot but only in one spot. I guess I should have been more specific on the description. I have the same issue with Wanted which is also a lightgun game. Thanks again Greg2600.

12. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

Home Alone also works fine

13. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

What type of TV are you playing the light gun game on? Light guns only work on the old tube TVs. They aren't going to work on newer TVs.

14. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Eh, so what else could we try/look at? Does Back to the Future 3 work for you? I wonder if SEGA changed something between the original version and the Genesis/SMS II?

Does anybody else have a Master Ever Drive and could test these games? Home Alone is actually unplayable, the whole screen becomes garbled.

PS: Bootay, also remember that the gun goes in the first controller port. It works for me, for sure.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  15. Bootay

Bootay Rising Member

StoneAge Gamer: I am playing on a CRT. And other gun games work fine.

Greg2600: I have it in Port 1. Must be a bad rom. I will look for another.

Thanks.

16. goldenband

goldenband Spirited Member

These are all known problems when playing on NTSC hardware, related to PAL vs. NTSC timing issues. See this thread at SMSPower for more information.

*These games are mentioned in the attachment found here.

This Korean ROM appears to have weird issues; see this thread.

Don't know anything about these, though someone notes potential issues with Speedball in the thread linked above -- it's apparently a fussy game. I couldn't find anything suggesting that Asterix shouldn't work so maybe you have a bad ROM?

This game has extra RAM on the cartridge, so that might be the issue.

I'd never heard of either of these, but from a quick Google search it looks like they're for the SF-7000 add-on which adds 64K RAM and some other stuff, so I'm guessing they won't work.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  17. Bootay

Bootay Rising Member

Goldenband:

Thanks for all of that information. I will definitely look into all of that.

18. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Thanks for the list goldenbland.

19. sheath

sheath Spirited Member

Great review! And cheers for the cart label usage. That set up looks great, I haven't bothered to print mine on glossy paper, I'm still holding out for vinyl. The Master Everdrive itself is superb.

20. meka

meka Newly Registered

Has anyone been able to run the Game Gear to SMS converts from Chris Covell, in particular Frogger, Pop Breaker and Pac Man? Frogger and Pop Breaker have black screens in both 50/60hz and Pac Man is all glitchy and a software error is all that shows up on the screen, but Power Striker 2, Sonic Triple Trouble and Berlin Wall work fine.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012