RetroFighters Brawler64 Controller Problem

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by KoroKoro, Feb 11, 2019.

1. KoroKoro

KoroKoro Active Member

*Not sure if this is the best forum to post this, but if it's against forum rules, then apologies in advance.*

So I picked up 2x of the new coloured Brawler64 controllers a couple of weeks ago. Found it a bit weird that they didn't accept paypal, but thought nothing of it.

Controllers arrived, plugged them in and they work. However my first test was to check the calibration and that all the buttons work.
    Unfortunately it seems the analogue stick isn't centred to the plastic gated case. i.e. right moves past 100% and left movement is obstructed.
    It's actually bad enough to notice it's not physically centred on the gate by eye.
    I'm not sure if this is a known issue, as I wasn't able to find any information / reviews on the new coloured transparent controllers.

I emailed RetroFighters directly 10 days ago on 3 different email addresses including their online contact form through their website. No response what so ever. I suspect I'm being ignored... but who knows...

What would be the best course of action? Is it possible to fix this myself?

Cheers.
    [​IMG]

2. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

Does it really affect gameplay though? Curious as to what some others think of this controller - was thinking of picking one up myself but only if the quality is really good.

3. KoroKoro

KoroKoro Active Member

If you can only turn left 80%, I would say yes, it affects game play. Probably more so with racing games etc.
    I have played a bit of F-Zero and it centres fine and small movements register fine. But as soon as the stick hits the plastic gate... thats it all you'll get.
    Since their customer support sucks... it looks like I'm on my own on this issue, so I'll likely have to fix it myself.
    So after thinking about this over the last couple of weeks, my option is to desolder the analogue stick assembly, re-drill the PCB by the offset amount (Hopefully I wont have to re-route traces) however I worry that this wont work as 100% up and down is centred on the x axis, so moving stick to the right will cause it to track slightly left when sitting in the gated groves at 100% up/down.
    Which leads me to believe that my only real option is to drill out the gated pattern completely and 3D print my own gated cover to replace it. Unfortunately it's a much less elegant solution but will allow me to control exactly where my end points will be through subsequent print revisions

4. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

I backed the original kickstarter and bought two controllers. They were incredibly good and was a game changer in some games, but I had a problem with A and B buttons getting stuck down when pressed with one controller. When they offered replacements because of the debacle with the left shoulder button, I opted for two new controllers. One of which had the same problem, so now I have two good ones.

They probably have fixed that by now, and they really are excellent controllers.

5. KoroKoro

KoroKoro Active Member

Well, its been over a month now since they said "they are looking into this with their engineering team"... and haven't heard a peep since.
    This has been really disappointing, considering I bought one for my friend also. It seems the online reviews that I've seen doesn't really match up what I've experienced. Disappointing :(

6. Wulver

Wulver Newly Registered

They ask you to return it? I had a Kickstarter controller and got a Blue one recently. Both get stuck buttons and I posted about them. I just returned the blue one for replacement. My luck, it will still get stuck. Just hope the SEGA versions dont have this problem. I really like them otherwise. They also respond quickly from my exp. Good luck