RetroBright FAILED?!

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Metotaku, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Metotaku

Metotaku Newly Registered

Last weekend I decided to de-yellow my SNES, which was a tad yellowed on the bottom. I used the method shown in The 8-Bit Guy's video, using volume 40 cream. The first day did little to the shell, but that was my fault because it was a bit cloudy that day and I had it in a shady spot. The second day was really sunny and I had it in a place where it would get plenty of sun (the roof ;)). When I took it down, I noticed a bunch of white splotches. I tried washing them off but they wouldn't come off.

These white splotches are very annoying, and if anyone knows how to get rid of them, PLEASE let me know. At this point I almost wanna buy another SNES and custom paint this to hide my dire mistake. Also will the original method found here not get those spots?
    20160919_203000.jpg 20160919_203007.jpg 20160919_203018.jpg

2. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

I'm no chemist, but that might've been the peroxide eating into the plastic - it's nasty stuff. And you even sourced some at 40%? Hot damn! Notice how the two original recipes only use 30 and 6%, respectively... Anyways, now that it's already happened, maybe try some light sanding? Even if it doesn't get rid of the splotches, at least you'll have a decent base for a paintjob...

Digmac likes this.
  3. supersega

supersega I have 7 and a half PS1s in my room alone.

Volume 40 cream =/= 40% hydrogen peroxide.

To the OP, try smoother application of the cream and better Saran wrap covering.

4. rama

rama Gutsy Member

That shell is gone, sorry.
    I recommend you do SNES shells only with full submersion methods.
    The wrap method is what caused this.

MaxWar and smilecitrus like this.
  5. Spazzard

Spazzard Member

Yeah, you can see the lines and bubbles from the wrap.

However, if you fully submerge, you will be able to fix it and get it all an even colour if you leave it under a decent lamp, but the plastic will be brittle as hell after that and probably bone white.

6. bond.san

bond.san Active Member

I also caused blotching on a DMG top cover with 12% H2O2 and cling film ( saran wrap ) wrapped around, ontop of a PCB UV exposure box.
    Had better results without wrapping the plastic items.
    Soon will be making Retr0Bright with 12% H2O2 using sunlight with cling film as a lid only and re-applying Retr0Bright every hour.

7. alf717

alf717 Robust Member

I got the same results a couple of summers ago. I heard this doesn't even last and sure enough one of my DC consoles I did this to started to yellow again. It was stored away in a box with no UV light near it.

8. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

> stored away in a box with no UV light
    iirc the yellowing is caused by oxidizing bromide - UV doesn't play into it. A coat of clear paint helps, but will change the surface texture...

9. MHG

MHG Member

Which kind of clear paint would you recommend? Recently de-yellowed my Dreamcast and want to keep it that way :)

10. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Another vouch for full submersion methods. I had blotchy results with creams and saran wraps too. I like to use Oxy clean and water. Works good on NES cases. Never had particularly great result with SNES though. It does remove yellowing but the cases gets a kind of bleached look rather that return to nice grey a mint snes has.

bond.san likes this.