Retro Gamer's Readers' Top 25 PS2 Games

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Conker2012, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

In this month's issue of Retro Gamer (issue 191, Retro Gamer is a British commercial magazine dedicated to retro games and hardware) are the results of the readers' favourite PS2 game vote. The winners are:

25 Gradius V
    24 Virtual Fighter 4 Evolution
    23 Devil May Cry
    22 Final Fantasy XII
    21 Grand Theft Auto III

20 Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed King
    19 Kingdom Hearts
    18 Gran Turismo 4
    17 Katamari Damacy
    16 Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast

15 Persona 4
    14 Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
    13 Timesplitters 2
    12 Okami
    11 God of War

10 Burnout 3: Takedown
    9 Metal Gear Solid 2
    8 Ico
    7 Silent Hill 2
    6 Final Fantasy X

5 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    4 Resident Evil 4
    3 Metal Gear Solid 3
    2 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    1 Shadow of the Colossus

I don't think it's too surprising that Shadow of the Colossus won, or that Resident Evil 4 is so high, but I am surprised that there are so few first person shooters in there. Granted, the PS2 had very few exclusive FPSs, with the original Timesplitters and Cold Winter being the only ones I can think of offhand, but the console had some good ports of PC first person shooters, and also had all of the major multi-console FPSs of the time too. I'd definitely have put the superb Timesplitters: Future Perfect in the list, and probably Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, and Quake 3 as well, but then I am a FPS fanatic.

And of course Deus Ex: The Conspiracy is nowhere on the list at all. I'll never understand why such a fantastic game (which is 96% identical to the PC original, which is just called Deus Ex) is all but unknown on the PS2, whereas on the PC many people still regard it as the best PC game ever.

I can't comment on many games in the list, but I'm surprised that GTA Vice City is higher than GTA San Andreas. I'd agree that Vice City has better atmosphere and *much* better music, but to me, everything else is better in GTA San Andres.

2. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

VF4 Evo in the top 25 PS2 games? Outrun 2006 C2C ranking higher than GT4?! Take note, Sega...

P.S. I'd have rated We Love Katamari over the original game, but that's mainly because I love the self-referential plot and its soundtrack more. Also, no Killzone or Final Fantasy X-2?

3. Tyree_Cooper

Tyree_Cooper Peppy Member

I'm surprised that GT4 is not in the top 10, and that GT3 is nowhere to be seen. The presence of both SotC and ICO in the top 10... both by the same director who had previously only had a CG artist job, I find that a refreshing slap in the face :)

2nd place makes my eyes bleed, could never stand that game series once it went 3d:eek:

4. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

I was never that big into PS2, but to me PS2 and MGS2 are almost synonymous.