Retro Fighters to crowdfund new Dreamcast controller

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Arcadia, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

After crowdfunding the Brawler 64, Retro Fighters now have a kickstarter to fund a "next gen" Dreamcast controller:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1247448559/next-gen-dreamcast-controller/

I like how they make new versons of controllers that have aged poorly. I love the DC, but honestly, the controller is really awkward. I might actually fund this one as well, I'm very happy with the Brawler 64.

One thing that's peculiar though, is why this gets crowdfunded, while the BrawlerGen 2-in-1 (Genesis and Saturn controller) is a simple preorder. Is the DC controller more of a risk for them?

Jord9622 likes this.
  2. wombat

wombat SEGA!

Normally I'm all over new Dreamcast developments, but I'm going to pass on this one. If they went the wireless route...... and/or added a second "analoge" stick doubling as ABXY, I would be highly interested. But now it's just a 3'rd party controller you would have avoided if you came across it back in the day.

Ivan GR likes this.
  3. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

I don't know about that, did decent third party controllers have analogue sticks better than the original back in the days?

Also, the cord starting from the top instead of the bottom is an argument as good as any.

takeshi385 likes this.
  4. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

I think the idea behind the front facing cord was that it made it “easier” to tilt the controller up to look at the VMU instead of lifting the cord too during the motion.

At least that design always made some sense to me thinking about it like that, but in practice it wouldn’t make much difference either way so pretty dumb :)

5. Marmotta

Marmotta Dauntless Member

I found the N64 Brawler to be a bit cheap-feeling. Maybe it was just the Chinese QC sticker on them.

As for the funding, they state in the Kickstarter that they've had to put quite a bit of time and money into developing Dreamcast-specific parts, so they may want to a decent chunk of money to offset that to being with.