Retro-bit SEGA USB and Bluetooth Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast accessories revealed!

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Anthony817, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Damn that is really unfortunate news. I really hope they can fix the issue. Somebody mentioned in the link you posted above that they were working on a new revision. How hard is it for them to use a more sturdy plastic from now on?

Edit: Here is a new closeup imaagge of it from MetalJesusRocks.

[​IMG]

Source: https://twitter.com/MetalJesusRocks/status/1138880220985823232

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    fafadou likes this.
  2. Tarnish

Tarnish Member

This will always be an issue I find hilariously ironic...decades of advancements in technology...yet they can't figure out a plastic that isn't a cheap, brittle piece of crap...something they managed to do back in the 80s and 90s...

3. Blockhead

Blockhead Member

Especially considering that the number one thing the Saturn controller is known for is the excellent D-Pad. They should have started with getting that right, and worried about everything else later.

What did they save, .0001 cents per unit on cheaper D-Pad cross plastic?

4. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

You can blame a lot of this on environmentally friendly non-toxic plasticizers. Similar to the way that modern paints normally have inferior performance characteristics to the old ones.

Borman and Anthony817 like this.
  5. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I'm at e3 too, I saw these molds but didn't realise they were for the new pads (didn't look too carefully tbf).

If you want any other pics let me know and I'll swing by.

Anthony817 likes this.
  6. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yes please if you can find the time in your busy day more pictures would be amazing! Thanks so much for offering!

7. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I've got some time before first meeting today.

Going to pop to the booth for the ff7 remake to register to play it, then I'll head straight over. Give me an hour or so!

fafadou, -=FamilyGuy=- and Anthony817 like this.
  8. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Sounds great! If they allow you to take pictures while they are holding it, pictures of the bottom or top part would be nice, just to see if they perhaps added L and R bumpers as well, although they would just be the same as C and Z I suppose. They added these to the upcoming dual analog wireless Mega Drive/Genesis and Saturn controllers, so I guess they might only add them to a wireless variant if they do.

9. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

10. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Cool deal man thanks a ton! I really appreciate it! I guess it makes sense it was made from soap. Wasn't sure if plastic or 3D printed.

I hope when they do the planned modern one, that can get LB and RB in there somewhere as not a ton of room for it on this one. I fully would love to make this my main controller at least on PC. Doubtful it would work well with Xbox One but you never know. I had planned on getting the Saturn one for my PS3 at least since it is going to be compatible with it, but this might be better.

Enjoy the remainder of your E3!

11. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Just over at the genesis mini now. Pads look great.

Think I'm going to queue up and see how it plays.

fafadou and Anthony817 like this.
  12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Queue moving too slow, going to swing back later when it's hopefully quieter

13. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Cleanest controller I've ever seen.

darcagn and Anthony817 like this.
  14. Blockhead

Blockhead Member

... and don't forget lead-free solder.

Anthony817 likes this.
  15. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Don't remind me, I can't tell you how many BC PS3's I reflowed...

Well looks like they have finally made a post themselves, and it seems that this design is going through the final approval process through Sega themselves, so that is promising. It is getting a lot of attention from people.

https://twitter.com/RetroBitGaming/status/1139216056017309702

I asked them if the wireless ones will have dual analog, and they gave me this response.

[​IMG]

16. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Yeah that's because I told them load of people wanted more info

Anthony817 likes this.
  17. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

Thanks, really looking forward to whether it will have dual analog. At least 2 dev teams have said they want to be the first to release a homebrew game that uses that feature.

Anthony817 likes this.
  18. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

fafadou likes this.
  19. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

I honestly don't mind RoHS solder - it is annoying in a lot of ways (it doesn't wet as well, it's less ductile and the process margin is narrower) - but all this stuff can be dealt with, and once you get it dialed in it's fine.

The reason there were so many problems with it in the mid '00s was simply that people were just trying to drop it into processes that were originally intended for SnPb solder and not accounting for the differences. I will certainly give you that SnPb is a lot easier to work with, though - it's just that if you use it in production about the only place you can still ship the resulting product is the US, and a lot of CM companies will no-bid you if you ask for PbSn.

20. Tarnish

Tarnish Member

I had a feeling that was or at least could be a reason. Once again, a bit ironic...they made the materials more environmentally friendly, but if that leads to more products getting thrown in the trash because the quality is now subpar due to these materials, was it worth it?