Retro-bit SEGA USB and Bluetooth Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast accessories revealed!

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Anthony817, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Falco Girgis

Falco Girgis Member

Omg, I'm so sorry. I mistook a bunch of you for the guys actually developing it... I'm so not used to random forum members knowing as much as developers, so I figured you guys talking about the latency issues and the reasoning behind it meant you guys were developers.

I apologize. I got too excited and am a total idiot. I suck at assemblergames, where everyone knows about the Maple protocol, apparently.

2. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Ah hey Falco been following development of your game for many years now! Unfortunately I am not the developer, and nor have I seen anybody from the company comment here. Retro-Bit can be contacted on Twitter, or maybe through email. I was meaning to contact them to ask if the upcoming controller that will supposedly have a second analog stick will be recognized by the Maple bus so homebrew devs like yourself could support the feature with more modern controls on modern indie releases.

Falco Girgis likes this.
  3. Falco Girgis

Falco Girgis Member

Wow, I just got myself all confused. A friend of mine sent me a link to this thread, and I thought this was an actual development thread, haha. Now that I'm catching up on everything, I hope Retro-Bit is the type of company who would even care about such feature requests. I don't know what to think since it's actually Sega licensed, but I think without a doubt features like what I'm begging for would be fantastic for the community.

Thanks so much for caring about that second analog stick. It would be so so tragic to me if we got these cool new controllers and nobody stepped up and did that, because it has literally always been there, just waiting for someone to use it. If you're using the KOS API, you're already getting its state when you poll to update the controller struct every frame. It would make a huge difference in homebrew like ES, where I'm actually limited in terms of button real-estate on the DC controller mostly for that reason... It kind of seems like half of the people are basically telling me I'm retarded and nobody cares and half of the people are in the exact same position I'm in, willing to pay substantially more money to get that second analog stick, of the opinion it would greatly benefit the community. I really hope that someone listens to us with these new controllers...

By the way, if you've followed me at all, you already know I owe you an apology. I can't tell you how sorry I am for how late we've been and for how much we've let everyone down... I literally live for this game every day, and I hope you can see how deeply I care about the Dreamcast, this scene, my backers, and this community. It's a massive uphill battle for me, and I understand and fully accept why my reputation is probably very shitty right now, but I want you guys to all know that I'm still fighting and will not stop fighting for you guys and for this game, which I have spent my entire life dreaming of completing and sharing with you guys.

Arcadia and Anthony817 like this.
  4. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Anthony817 and fafadou like this.
  5. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

Just more of the standard controllers, with USB as an option.
    Lame...

6. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

It'll be interesting to see reviews, but I'm feeling lukewarm.

7. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Weird, what did you expect? I mean this is exactly what they promised to release, so I don't really understand the issue.
    Me, personally, I'm super stoked for the crystal blue Genesis pads.
    Remains to be seen however if the build quality will hold up to that of SEGA's.

Anthony817 likes this.
  8. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

This thread is over a year old now and we're just now getting release dates for a re-release of two basic controllers. That's disappointing is all.

I'd like to actually see anything Dreamcast related.

9. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Ah bro, they said they would release the wired controllers first, then the dual analog modern Genesis and Saturn controllers in the Summer. After they get those out, they can spend their full R&D on the Dreamcast stuff. They want to get these down right, they are a smallish company, and they know that Sega fans expect the design and build quality to be at least as good as the officials. So trust me, they know better than anybody else they have one shot to get this right. They fuck this up, and we will never let them live it down.

I rather have a staggered release where they can focus on each subsequent release at a time. I think the Dreamcast wireless is going to be a bit more difficult becasue of the possibility of saves getting corrupted if there is any interference. Sure a dongle with a VMU port on it could help out, but then would they have to add an LCD in their controller to relay the screen data back to the controller? Who knows at this point, I am just saying that as Dreamcast gamers we should be a very patient bunch since we go many years without new things. This is a pretty huge deal to us, so I rather have them take all the time they feasibly need to get them right.

From this hands on unboxing video the Saturn D-pad is 100% spot on! Only thing I see is the D-pad isn't rubberized.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    truemaster1 likes this.
  10. fafadou

fafadou Gutsy Member

Thanks for sharing those informations :)

I'm surprising about retro bit questions because on your first picture :
    [​IMG]
    We could see already the controller and the bluetooth receiver, so for me the bluetooh sender was fit in inside the controller and not as a vmu dongle.
    But who knows as you said. Time to wait so...

truemaster1 and arnoldlayne like this.
  11. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Those were empty boxes. They were just mockups. They have never shown off any of them yet,. They were just an idea on how it might look.

fafadou likes this.
  12. LuizNai

LuizNai Robust Member