Retro-bit SEGA USB and Bluetooth Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast accessories revealed!

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Anthony817, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yeah they have R1/2 and L1/2 where it is more like bumpers and triggers like Xbox controllers but with Playstation naming conventions.

This is what the Megadrive controller will look like, and the updated Saturn pad will be like this too.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah just noticed something else, it is most likely going to have rechargeable internal batteries as well after looking at the micro USB port on the Megadrive controller above.

fafadou and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  2. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Sounds great, but they're sure making us wait for it. But rather that than a rush job I guess.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  3. Megapsychotron

Megapsychotron Newly Registered

I want that Saturn controller for the perfect Mednafen experience! Anyone know if one Bluetooth receiver will work for a pair of controllers?

4. fafadou

fafadou Enthusiastic Member

Any news for date release ?

5. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

I don't see why not. The only reason that is a limitation on the Sega consoles is due to needing a dongle per port. On PC and PS3 and Android it should be able to connect multiple devices.

They should be releasing sometime next month last I read. :)

6. fafadou

fafadou Enthusiastic Member

Next MONTH !!
    What a lovely day :)

Anthony817 likes this.
  7. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Hey guys! We finally have a solid release date for November 25th! This just includes the dual analog controllers, and the USB counterparts, but the Dreamcast, and the more traditional looking Bluetooth controllers sans analog are coming out at a later time. The link below is just the UK Amazon link, supposedly we have to wait for North American Amazon to put up their retail pages for it.

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Retro-Bit-Official-Saturn-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B07H3YYPRN/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1540761120&sr=8-10&keywords=retro+bit&th=1

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/SegaSaturn/comments/9s6iz5/retrobit_controllers_on_amazon/

Also bonus: Here is a better image from a HD video of a guy with hands on footage of the Saturn pad. Note the 4 LED lights, and broad bumper and triggers than the Mega Drive/Genesis version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  8. lerabot

lerabot Active Member

Fuck... I bought a new xbox one controller yesterday :(
    I'll wait for the DC version then.

Anthony817 likes this.
  9. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

That's really nice! Too bad I just bought an 8bitdo SN30+.
    Any words on the feeling of the D-Pad compared to the real Saturn Controller?

I hope that they'll make a phone holder just like the 8bitdo, it's really nice for emulators on a phone!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Anthony817 likes this.
  10. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

All I know of is the German video that guy did on GamesCom I took the screen capture of the top part of the Saturn pad. He explains how clicky the buttons feel. I don't think the D-pad is actually rubbery feeling like the official are, it looks too much like straight hard plastic to me. But as long as I got a nice Saturn pad for my Dreamcast, PS3 and PC I will be happy. I just hope that when they do the Dreamcast dongle they at least have a way to have a built in VMU into the device since the Saturn controller can't handle saves like real DC controllers. The Brooks PS3/PS4 controller adapter for Dreamcast has built in VMU now with only 40 blocks as that is all they could fit in the space left on the firmware with the latest update. But at least it is something.

11. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

12. psydefx

psydefx Peppy Member

nice only $20 for the dreamcast controllers. will pick up 4 myself

Anthony817 likes this.
  13. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Maybe it's just me, but if those controllers are supposed to be released in February then it's a bit worrying that they are apparently still using original Sega controllers for their promos. Certainly 2 of the regular Saturn pads are originals, and it looks like the 3D pads might be too.

14. psydefx

psydefx Peppy Member

a youtuber got protoypes of some and said they are almost idential to orginals

15. TriMesh

Yeah, I was talking more about the plugs - these are supposed to be USB controllers and several of the ones in those photos have Saturn controller connectors on them.

16. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Don't they do both usb USB and native controllers?

17. TriMesh

I don't know - but all the packaging says "USB", which is why I thought it was something of an anomaly to have a pad with an original Saturn plug sitting in front of it.

18. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Gutsy Member

I really want to get the USB Saturn Cool Pad if they do indeed match the originals in quality or very close to it.
    Using that on Nintendo switch would be very nice given there aren't very good options for a quality D pad.

19. Vosse

Vosse Well Known Member

They are probably showing off the models with support for the original console only i'd imagine. Or perhaps there is a simple dongle included to make it USB compatible. If the final products look this good though. I want several.

edit: actually the White saturn pad clearly has a USB connector if you look.

The new portable Genesis though is probably just the same old crapy GoaC with a Nomad look alike shell. I'll be surprised if they can get the screen resolution for the unit correct. (And scaling for game games that use 256 resolution mode instead of 320)

20. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yeah, they are releasing versions made for both the original console and USB for PC and other supported systems. I also heard in a video that the updated wireless Saturn pad will release over the summer. I just hope they swap the Start and Select by then as they have them backwards compared to most other common controllers.