Retro-bit SEGA USB and Bluetooth Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast accessories revealed!

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Anthony817, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Anthony817

Anthony817 Fiery Member

Yeah, if they can do that, and also make official optical mice for the system, I will be in heaven. Playing Soldier of Fortune now with my new GDEMU and really wish I had an official optical mouse.

2. JackalSpat

JackalSpat Member

Anyone at GamesCom with booth/display photos?

All I've seen so far are recycled pictures from the CES mockups.

3. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Peppy Member

That coolpad is sick
    Definitely will try these out.

Anthony817 and fafadou like this.
  4. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

Just need a date of release now.

Anthony817 likes this.
  5. Anthony817

Anthony817 Fiery Member

Here are some new pictures courtesy of Lostdotfish on reddit. Obviously no news on Dreamcast controllers but I will keep you all updated as news comes in about it. I also do not see the dual analog Saturn controller close up either but it might be in the wide view shot somewhere on the top shelf.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

This is a collaboration with sega ! Hype is at highest level.

Anthony817 likes this.
  7. Arcadia

Arcadia Spirited Member

What's the point of dual analog sticks on a mega drive controller? Or saturn for that matter.

8. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

They will probably be usb, to use on a pc

Anthony817 likes this.
  9. Anthony817

Anthony817 Fiery Member

Yeah for PC, but also my hope is at least PS3 support now also since it Has a similar home button. Would be pretty cool. I guess using the analog as a cloned D-pad could also work for when plugged into a Mega Drive/Genesis. The Saturn one would hopefully work with legit games. Don't forget we had the first analog controller on Saturn. Gotta have a switch included on the controller to support those games just like the official one did.

[​IMG]

fafadou likes this.
  10. Anthony817

Anthony817 Fiery Member

Ok sorry for the double post but I seem to have found many more pictures. First we see a supposed MSRP for the controllers!

[​IMG]

Next up we have a few better images of some of the controllers. Sorry wasn't able to find a closeup of the Saturn dual analog controller. It sure looks more and more likely to me that these very well could be compatible with PS3 consoles also. Do note the addition of triggers on the MD/Genesis pad. L1/2 and R1/2 Just like on PlayStation.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a close up of the regular wired Saturn pad.

[​IMG]

And finally here are the controller dongles for the actual consoles.

[​IMG]

11. Anthony817

Anthony817 Fiery Member

Again sorry for bump but I found clear hands on video with the controllers. Especially nice to see is the Saturn dual analog controller. It is in Deutsch, but he just goes over how it feels in the hand and stuff. Pretty basic.

The D-pad for sure is not as rubbery looking as the official controllers. So take that as you will.

truemaster1 likes this.
  12. Arcadia

Arcadia Spirited Member

It looks indeed as if the dual analog controllers will work on the Mega Drive and Saturn, albeit not with functional analog sticks?

13. Anthony817

Anthony817 Fiery Member

Yes this was stated and planned from the beginning. We always knew they would be compatible with either the original systems or the PC. My guess is they will have some mode where you can use a joystick in place of D-pad on original consoles, and maybe it will work like a normal controller on PC and PS3. I don;t see these working with PS4 as it lacks the touchpad and other things.

I can;t wait to see the inevitable dual stick Dreamcast controller. I just hope it is compatible with the original dual stick drivers on Dreamcast. So this way modern homebrews and indie games could use the other sticks. Or at least let us map them on DC to the face buttons so it could be used like C buttons/stick on N64 and Gamecube controllers.

Sega did make an official dual analog stuck controller driver for the Dreamcast for a supposed dual stick controller later down the line, but it just sadly never lived long enough for one to get made. So if it indeed uses that driver, we could see things like dual stick style shooters possibly or better controls for FPS ports.

Arcadia likes this.
  14. ShaunMurray

ShaunMurray Active Member

I sent an e-mail to Retro Bit and got a little more info on the controllers. The non analog Bluetooth Genesis/Saturn controllers are still coming but will not be available in November, for launch they are just shipping the analog variants. They also confirmed the controllers and receivers are cross compatible. I have always preferred the Saturn controller over the Genesis 6 button so I am pretty excited to be able to use one on the Genesis.

fafadou and Anthony817 like this.
  15. Anthony817

Anthony817 Fiery Member

OMG are you serious? So I can use a Saturn pad on my Dreamcast?! They should totally allow the dongle to have a port for the VMU at least with the Dreamcast adapter.

I got one of those PSX style Dreamcast 3rd party controllers as it was cheap, plug and play and had a Saturn style 8-way D-pad, I really love the way it feels, but it doesn't have a way to plug in the VMU, so I can't save in every game with it since not every retail or homebrew/indie game supports saving to vmu's in slot B. It sucks because it is literally the perfect controller for me for Volgar the Viking, but no way to save progress.

[​IMG]

I would love to replace it with a wireless Saturn controller.

fafadou likes this.
  16. PearlJammzz

PearlJammzz Member

I'd love if the Saturn controller could work as twin sticks for virtual-on. Or even just in place of the crappy analog controller. Fingers crossed it works and works well! It'll likely need an 'analog switch' at the very least which I didn't see in any pictures.

Guess we'll get the first glimpse/test in November.

17. wombat

wombat SEGA!

Hold on, am I understanding it correctly that the wireless versions of the Mega Drive and Saturn only come with those extra analogue sticks? That's a bloody shame!

18. Anthony817

Anthony817 Fiery Member

Yep. When they first showed off prototypes and mockups they were very similar to official pads, but they changed them along the way. Presumably they will do the same for the Dreamcast logic would dictate. Lets hope that they use the actual dual stick controller drivers that were created, but never used. Bernie Stolar himself even mentioned they had worked on a concept for a dual stick controller. Other people have said the drivers already exist on the system, so could be nice if modern homebrew could be used with them.

"I also pushed hard for a dual joystick controller, similar to what we did at PlayStation. There’s a reason the DualShock is still used to this day."
    http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2018/03/an-interview-with-bernie-stolar.html

Anyways, that is a pipe dream of mine if they could get true dual sticks working for homebrew games to utilize. If nothing else could be nice to be able to use a PC or someway to remap face buttons to the right stick for something similar to C buttons/stick on N64/GC FPS games.

AUSTIN PEYTON likes this.