Retail Prototype Console?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Development' started by garretts228, Jul 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. garretts228

garretts228 Active Member

I just acquired a Prototype Jasper. All serial numbers match up, no pry marks, warranty sticker intact, etc.. I have owned one of these Prototype marked consoles in the past, and it was a Test Kit. This has no debug headers, and it is running a retail firmware with XBL capabilities. What do I have here and what was it’s purpose? Side note I was really hoping this had debug capabilities :(

2. Stipo360

Stipo360 "That Dead Rising Guy"

Many "prototypes" sufaced on eBay in the past year which are just finalized internal (retail) consoles, they just have a bunch of stickers. That's probably what you're looking at here. :(

If you see stickers that say "SVC" and shit like that, avoid.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  3. garretts228

garretts228 Active Member

Why would Microsoft do this :’( oh well I got it stupid cheap and can just add to my collection.

4. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Do you have any pictures of the console?

5. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Probably because it was imported before the FCC certification process was complete. It's normally illegal to import uncertified products into the US, but you can get around it by importing them as being prototypes that are for test and evaluation purposes only, and not for sale or lease.

I have some "prototype" PS3 controllers like that - they are really just retail Japanese spec PS3 SixAxis controllers - but in order to ship them to the US they marked them as "prototypes".

Logi26 likes this.
  6. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Yep, and most of the places that had those so-called prototype Xbox 360s were using them to test games before they were pushed out to retail, basically one of the final tests. Makes sense they would get them early to verify proper compatibility with the new chips.