NOTICE Resignements from karsten

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by karsten, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

I'm stepping down too.

This probably won't come out as a surprise to anyone since i was the one that wrote the now deleted the state of the page thread, and came off with the idea of a spam strike.

I'll try to be short on this last post as a Mod.

I haven't been the best of mods along these years, but since i joined on roarvgm with another nick and here i have always felt that there was a massive potential in the community and so much space to grow and expand. It was a joy to be offered position as a Mod and i've been here around everyday doing the boring work for 10+ years.

As i said i may be considered the "first and worst of the traitors" here for starting the private talks that brought out the other mods unsatisfaction about things, @Yakumo opening the thread, and after seeing zero response from kev i made up the idea of a Spam Strike, the only non destructive way i could think about to force a reaction. It took a bit of time but it worked!

To clear up things we haven't started the strike because of the Spam attacks.
    It's been like these for so long it became our mods routine, but because of the downtime and how it was dealt with. And all that came afterwards.

It was all dark in a second, no one had ways to contact each other and god bless @retro that he was around looking around for our contacts to keep stuff (and staff!) together. He kept the community together as much as was possible at the time.

Then we were back and we were asked for opinions suggestions etc etc i'll skip all this stuff since it was already talk about in the deleted threads and all know about this.

So why i'm leaving as a mod?

I see things in a radically different way from current direction. I asked some easy straight questions and got answers (finally!)

So this is what i asked ( i think no reasons to keep it in hide since it's not going to mean hard to anyone or the site)

Answer was:

So, since for each point I:

1) Think there's people wishing to spend a fair amount of money and already offered so

2) (let's forget the you can't even handle the pressure of a spam wave stuff) Means all will still be the same over and over

3) I think that we need to evolve or die

4) Nothing to say since i never thought of being payed for

5) TOTALLY disagree with this since i think that the board was successful and was build upon the museum, and that our current status of decline is due to the lack or proper (creative) user interaction, no articles, no ways to put the wealth of information we have at use, no museum, no decent and meaningful use of social media...

Adding to that, it's in kev's opinion that it's normal to decline due to people growing older. I again strongly disagree. Retrogaming is getting bigger, new people are getting into it everyday (see the wave of old console re-releases) and it's up to us capture and nurture them!

There's a lot more interest in retro stuff than 10 years ago and so many younguns into it.

It's just that what we offer is so outdated that we are not getting fresh forces from the many new fans.

to that i'll add that i do not agree that people are fleeing because of us mods :D

I saw the graph posted, i bet the downhill booms are the downtime, the comeback and the time of bans under the Admin banner. I'm sure that our continuos effort as moderators here did at most allow to slow down the user hemorragy.

That said i do not want to get in more stuff that are better kept aside or better non public.

My views on the future and what is needed to keep the place afloat are 100% opposite to Kev's ones. This means we are in disagreement to say the least :D

I'll go back as a normal user. It's sad, depressing after so long. But i can't see all the good we were before, now. I feel like we were much better and up to date 10 years ago that what we are now.

Maybe this way i'll enjoy things better. I already feel like i lost my home :p

After all maybe we old mods have been here too long and a change will do good for the site, but i keep pride in our work as a team for all these years.

Cheers with pride fellow mods and ex-mods,
    @Borman
    @HEX1GON
    @Jackhead
    @Johnny
    @retro
    @subbie
    @Yakumo

Karsten (i'm not about to cry it's just something in my eyes)

PS i disagree on deleting the two aforementions posts too :D

2. wheelaa

wheelaa FM Towns / MD Addict Site Supporter 2010-2015

Damn.

Hope you stick around. Have always thoroughly enjoyed your posts / threads / opinions.

Tbh, I never really thought of you as a mod, just one of the great contributors here. Not dissing your modding of course, just saying... :)

3. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Nor did we! :D Haha, only joking!

It's been a pleasure working with you, and it's a good summary. Stay in touch ;)

DeChief, f2bnp and karsten like this.
  4. karsten

I used a lot of "pms" to correct peoples or pointing out their faults in the open suggesting for a proper edit more than enforcing stuff. I've been to goody-goes maybe :D

Syclopse likes this.
  5. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

We never talked much but I appreciate what you've done to help maintain the site. Take er easy!

karsten likes this.
  6. GoodTofuFriday

GoodTofuFriday Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

Sad to see you go as a mod. But thank you for lighting the flame. it was needed

7. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

It was very nice working with you all too.

As I said in the group chat, I'm sticking with the team. Where they go, I go.

Gomen'nasai, Say┼Źnara.

karsten and Taijigamer2 like this.
  8. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Showing what Kevin said is incredibly eye-opening. I'm honestly taken aback by this. Wow.

...and now one of the last nails. I'm glad to have at least met you through this site, buddy.

9. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Likewise mate.

10. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Whatever happens, this site has introduced me to a whole bunch of nice people, and it'll be good to stay in contact. It's been a pleasure to converse with you all.

11. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Sorry I can't convince you to stay. You'll be missed.

12. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

What the.... ? Why should any mod take an unpaid holiday to fix shit that doesn't belong to them? Sorry but where im from and now am that is asking too much.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  13. Jord9622

Jord9622 Site Supporter 2014 Site Benefactor

Sorry to hear you are leaving. Thank you for all your hard work! Take care and enjoy the rest of your 2018!

14. karsten

Thanks, after all these years getting so virtual pat on the shoulder is appreciated

Jord9622 and MBMM like this.
  15. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the help over the years.

karsten likes this.
  16. Synnett

Synnett GC Controller Hoarder

There's always a way to improve. Taking the Smashboards for example, the main page is full of articles and news. I saw a few months ago that a user got its hands on the gold-plated Wii, that would've been great - people get linked to these articles and join the forums.

I'm not that active but I always enjoyed these forums, lots of stuff in there, but easy to overlook. Welp, that's a shame the site had a stroke. :v Enjoy your free time from now on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.