Resident Evil 2 PC freezing - Voodoo 3 system

Discussion in 'Computer Gaming Forum' started by la-li-lu-le-lo, Nov 8, 2017.

1. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

So, recently I've been messing around with this PC I've built. Here are the specs:

Pentium 4 2.53GHz
    512MB DDR
    Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
    160GB HDD
    Pioneer DVD drive
    Sound Blaster Live!
    Windows 98 SE

For a long time I could only get 3D games to work with Glide; DirectX games wouldn't run at all. The program would exit immediately after opening it. So, I was looking online and I found the solution; I simply had to remove and reinsert the Voodoo 3. Now Glide and DirectX games are working.

However, I can't get Resident Evil 2 working for some reason. All other Glide and DirectX games I've tried work, with no problems at all. I've installed the game on the HDD and the CD is inserted when I try to play it. What happens is that, when I try to run the game, it shows the "explicit violence" warning, and then it freezes at this screen. The CD continues spinning for a while, and eventually it stops. When this happens, the system is totally frozen and doesn't respond at all. The only option is a hard reset.

I've tried selecting multiple different video cards in the graphics options; all produce the same result. I read somewhere that some of the Resident Evil games on PC have an issue that's related to DirectX sound acceleration - and that if you set the sound acceleration to "Basic" or "None" in dxdiag, then this solves the issue. I tried that, and it didn't work. I also wanted to know if the problem was related to my sound card; so, I removed my sound card, and also disabled the motherboard's built-in sound device, and this had no effect on RE2. So, this basically eliminates any possibility that it could be related to sound.

Other than that, I saw a post on a forum somewhere of a person who said they also couldn't get Resident Evil 2 to run with their Voodoo 3 system. But there was no response. I know there was a patch for RE2, but as far as I know the changes were minor and I doubt it would solve this issue. I should probably try it, though.

So, I'm pretty much out of ideas of what could be causing this issue. I know that sound is not the issue, and also that DirectX is working fine in all of the other games I've tried. It could be that the Voodoo 3 just doesn't work with this game; in that case, I wonder if there's any way to get it working. Any ideas?

2. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015 Staff Member

Wouldn't hurt trying the patch. But have you tried disabling some features on the GPU control panel (anti-aliasing for example)? Does it run in "software mode"?

Also, the way it freezes right after the warning screen might be related to a problem loading something, maybe an intro video. Maybe a codec missing?

Found this page, might be helpful: https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2014/09/04/resident-evil-2/

3. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

Sorry, I don't know, but try asking at:

vogons.org

as they really know their stuff about getting old PC games working.

Also, try:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home

as that's a rather comprehensive site for many games.

4. Helegad

Helegad PowerPC

Actually the Resident Evil 2 patch added a boatload of additional supported graphics cards to its selection list. It might be worth trying in this instance.

5. SILENT_Pavel

SILENT_Pavel Gutsy Member

Based on my experience with 3dfx cards - those things can cause the issues:
    • if you're using virtual CD-ROM software, make sure that this is old DAEMON Tools version for win 98, not MagicISO. MagicISO often cause freezes in games for me. DAEMON Tools works perfectly. If using real physical disk, create iso and try to play without real CD-ROM and with no physical media.
    • reinstall voodoo graphic driver on other versions. my first third party voodoo driver had non-latin symbols in title, that cause freezes. With original old driver from official CD was a lot better
    • maybe your win 98 default system language isn't compatible with RE2 region. perhaps something like that. Try to use english win 98 with english game version on that logic. can cause random issues
    • maybe your hdd is having fatal hardware malfunction and needs to be replaced (is it IDE or SATA hdd?)
    also reinstall Win98 from the scratch, might help too

6. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I'm running it from a CD-R. I also have the files in a folder on my HDD, and running it that way produces the same result.

I'm using official drivers. The drivers could be a factor, though every other Glide/OpenGL/DirectX game I've tried works without any issues.

Well, the Windows 98 installation is the standard US version, set to English. The version of RE2 I'm using is apparently the European version. The installer and the setup menu are all in English, so I would think that the language would not be an issue.

I don't think the HDD is dying, because the system has no other problems with the OS or any other program. It's a 160GB IDE drive.

I'd consider doing that if it really seems necessary, but I'd rather avoid it since my current setup makes doing a reinstall a bit of a pain. Again, if I were having a lot of problems with the OS and other programs then I might consider this, but only this one game is affected.

I thought I read that it only added one card. I'll give it a try, anyway.

I should try to run it in software mode again. I tried this a while ago before I got DirectX working and it did run, but it would probably be a good idea to try it again to see if it still works.

It uses Intel Indeo for the videos. I installed Indeo separately after I installed RE2, and it didn't solve the issue.

7. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Update, for anyone who cares: I got it working! It was actually the graphics drivers. I had to install an older version. Strangely, the drivers I'm using now seem to prevent Tomb Raider from working. I'll need to do some further testing to find drivers that are compatible with everything.

I'm glad I finally got this working. I've been wanting to play it for a long time. I played it some tonight, and I'm enjoying it so far.

SILENT_Pavel likes this.