Request : Xplorer FX NTSC-US rom (3.20)

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by bennydiamond, May 19, 2012.

1. bennydiamond

bennydiamond Gutsy Member

Hello, I'm trying to flash my Xplorer FX to display on my NTSC-US TV. The only roms I could find are PAL so they don't show anything. Moreover I have not been able to communicate directly via the printer port. I can get X-Killer to communicate with my PSX via X-flash but I can't change the video mode of the Xplorer FX because X-killer talks to X-flash loaded rom and not the rom on the Xplorer FX itself.

Wayback machine does not help as the rom files are not archived.

Please help me.

Thank you.

2. H360

H360 Familiar Face

You can find PAL (Phase Alternating Line) or NTSC (National Television System Committee) ROM's, but they dont do anything because all the frequencies are handled by the PAL (Programmable Array Logic) IC (lol. are we learning today?).

Use it on a TV that supports 60 hertz and 50 hertz.

As for the communication issue, make sure your parallel cable is a straight though cable, and not a null-modem or a cross-over.
    Also make sure you are running the right software. Windows 7 wont work without some other software installed (forgot what it was called), so just use Windows 98.
    X-Killer will only work if your parallel mode in the BIOS is set to SPP.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  3. Avanaboy

Avanaboy Spirited Member

This software is GiveIO ;)

4. H360

H360 Familiar Face

5. bennydiamond

Thank you, I already knew that. I was able to get a succesful connection with X-Flash throught the Xplorer FX printer port. But, because X-flash loaded it's payload into memory, X-killer recognize the current rom loaded as X-flash 1.0 and not Xplorer rom. As of now, I've only been able to succesfully connect to my PSX with X-Flash. Simply booting the PSX with the Xplorer FX plugged and ON will result in a communication timeout.

I also know that rom 4.52 flash successfully because if I press a few buttons on the controller I hear sounds that I am navigating to the menus. 3.20 rom does not do any sound but I'm oretty sure it's loaded.

Do you know if the Xplorer FX parrallel port is activated by default when booting the PSX with Xplorer rom or do I need to activate it by browsing (blindly) in the menus?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am using an old PIII with Win98SE installed so giveIO is not an issue here. Thanks anyway.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  6. H360

H360 Familiar Face

I have a Xplorer FX myself, but I could also not get the comms to work on it. So, I stuck with my original Xplorer.

With the standard Xplorer, it will initialise a comms link to the PC as soon as you see an image on the screen.

7. bennydiamond

Finally got it. With rom 4.52 you can change video mode from the menu.

For future reference :

1- Flash Xplorer FX with rom 4.52 from an X-flash CD
    2- Restart PSX with Xplorer FX plugged in
    3- With controller, press down 3 times and press X (should hear beeps telling your navigating menus)
    4- Press down 4 times and press X
    5- Press down 5 times and press X.

That's it, video mode should be changed.

Now I'd like to replace all cheats in the database for NTSC games. Anyone knows if it's possible to import a whole new database containing selected cheats?

8. H360

H360 Familiar Face

Actually, now that you tell me about that secret, I believe you can hold one or a combination of the back buttons on boot to force the video mode change.

You use the software called 'X-Link' under DOS to upload a database of cheats.

9. bennydiamond

I read on other forums about the key combination but I also read it never led to anything conclusive. I tried different combination myself without sucess.

Thanks for the tip on X-link, I also found a ready-made database for US games provided with XCheatED 2.05 but it's not complete, several games are missing. Anyone knows of a master database containing more cheats than the one supplied with XCheatED 2.05?