[Request] XDK Documentation and some info on my debug kit

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by MobCat, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Forlorn Penguin

Forlorn Penguin Member

Sadly, you do have to. That thing is guaranteed to destroy the board if you leave it in and, being sixteen years old, it's long overdue for removal.

2. Syclopse

Syclopse .

You should be able to identify the date codes of the chips, components and all the plastics. I just had to un-softmod another prototype console so that's why I'd rather mass produced consoles be tinkered with. Seeing your console chips were from the last week of July it's basically closer to finalized hardware. The cool factor is that it was used internally to test either kernels or new hardware components.

MobCat likes this.
  3. MobCat

MobCat Member

Yeah I plan on using this debug kit in the same way and with the same tools as a 3ed party developer would of had back in the day so no chance I'm of softmodding it... I haven't even loaded the tool that lest you run retail games on it as IDK exactly what that xbe dose and I don't want it to mess the debug tools. And if I want to play retail games I have like 5 other xboxs for that :p
    Used internally o_O?! What like Microsoft internally? Though those consoles have blue Microsoft stickers... I'm going to be sooo pissed if my sticker fell of or the previous owner removed it. Internal testing Kernels makes sense, it was probley used for testing bioses as well as the headder pins are installed (pretty sure that's standard for all debug and dev kits though) and the console is set up for flashing and dumping the TSOP but sadly i don't have and of the official gear used for doing that over the LPC Debug port... Pity there no way I know of recovering those old debug kernels that would of been cool to poke around in. Testing new hardware components kinda makes sense as there is a sample dvd driver in it Witch its not the tomson drive that shipped with any of the 1,0 and 1,1 version xbox I have had to replace the dvd rom drive in. That dvd sample drive dose work exactly the same and a normal dvd driver BTW... Actuality the drive tray is a little smother then most if the dvd drives I have. Now I know it may be pre release hardware and if it doesn't have any "void if removed" stickers on it, I'll see if I can find a find a release philips dvd drive and do some side by side pictures

4. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator Staff Member

Nothing about it says that it was used for internal testing of kernels or anything. It's a bit of a jump. It could have been used for any number of reasons, the sticker only says what would be in it. The DVD being smooth is down to luck.

MobCat likes this.
  5. Syclopse

Syclopse .

U7B1: ICS
    U7B2: D01
    U6E1: X2
    U7D1: HY44

Attached Files:

6. MobCat

MobCat Member

And thous numbers mean... :p
    Well I know it has something to do with the BIOS and hardware config it left the factory with but out side of that i have no idea.

7. Syclopse

Syclopse .

PCB location : Component

U6E1 : Media and Communications Processor X2 : nVidia - MCPX X2
    U7B1 : 10/100Base-TX Integrated ICS : Integrated Circuit Systems -
    U7B2 : CMOS Microcontroller D01 : Microchip - D01 perhaps version?
    U7D1 : Flash Memory HY44 : ST Microelectronics - 44?

MobCat likes this.