[Request] Xbox demo games from DVDs

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by stuntpenguin, Sep 15, 2016.

1. stuntpenguin

stuntpenguin Spirited Member

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  2. UnrealNStuff

UnrealNStuff Robust Member

stuntpenguin likes this.
  3. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

Would it not be possible to just FTP it out from an Xbox? since it should be able to see the game right?

4. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

It might even be possible to just copy it with a PC if it's part of the UDF file system. Worth a look, at least.

5. UnrealNStuff

Not quite. The xbox sees the DVD as a regular movie. You have to go to a menu to start the demo up.

6. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

You can make an ISO then.

7. UnrealNStuff

I know but it would not change a thing. When the iso would be extracted, it would be like the root of a dvd disc.
    It would only be of use when someone would burn it and play it through the dvd drive, but who the fuck does that nowadays?

8. UnrealNStuff

RichardX and stuntpenguin like this.
  9. rso

Very interested in that ISO, since being able to launch an XBOX game/demo from a DVD menu seems... something between highly unusual and technically impossible. (In fact I don't think it quite works that way at all - they probably provided a second version of the DVD menu as an executable that the XBOX boots into. We'll see.)

10. UnrealNStuff

The damn disc started updating my xbox and removed my fucking softmod... UGH!
    After i re-install the softmod, i will see what the fuck is up with this disc.

Syclopse likes this.
  11. mspeter97

mspeter97 Robust Member

Star Wars Episode III had a Battlefront 2 demo & the bonus DVD of the Original Trilogy box set had a beta demo of Battlefront 1 if I remember correctly...

12. stuntpenguin

Thanks! Sorry you had to go through all that trouble. I believe this is all that is needed. From what I can tell, the demo games pack all the assets into one xbe file. Examining the sections of this executable, there's a section called DEMODAT and DEMOCTL. I think these are the only two parts required to extract the main executable and corresponding assets. If you look in the DEMOCTL, you'll see an xbe header with signature and the first few parts of the actual demo game xbe. Now just to figure out how to extract the files...

13. UnrealNStuff

How to extract files from .xbe?

14. rso

My guess: You don't, you just run it. It should then dump stuff onto the HDD (one of the cache partitions I'd think).

15. stuntpenguin

I'm starting to get an idea of the format, but yeah that's probably the best. Looks like the media flags of the actual game are set to hard drive, xboxdvd, and any cd /dvd. Might be fun if we could modify assets and run it off of a cd on retail system.

edit: Looks like all assets are in my cache except for the executable which is probably just because There was an MS dashboard style progress loading bar and I shut if off during this time. Didn't want a surprise dash update

double edit: Let it load all the way through and now I have all the files. Will upload soon.

16. UnrealNStuff

So no need for an ISO than? Great! :D

17. rso

If it's not too much to ask, I'd still like to have a look at that because of the DVD-menu-launching-XBE you mentioned?

18. stuntpenguin

Looks like I wasn't reading the media flags but rather the region. My bad.

Here it is

When you start the executable there's an option to either start the game demo or play the movie. Is that what you were referring to?

19. rso

Well, having read #5 I thought the disc starts into the normal DVD menu, with an option somewhere in there to run the demo. The way you put it now sounds more like it boots directly into the demo xbe, which lets you choose between installing/running the game, and an option that I would assume launches the XBOX DVD player. Which makes a lot more sense than a DVD menu knowing how to fire up XBOX executables.
    Mkay, I think I'm good then.

20. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

Just want to point out that with a debug kernel you probably could have used neighborhood to get the files while the demo is running.
    Should be somewhere in there while it runs IDK.