[REQUEST] PDF scans of the "PARTNER-N64 PC" User Guides

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by Gerry_MAN, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Gerry_MAN

Gerry_MAN Spirited Member

Hi Folks,

I'm back once again reaching out to the community here...

Over the past year I've been digging in learning the source code for programming the N64 and the 64DD. As I've mentioned in some of my other posts, I'm making some progress...at least within the basics. I've managed to get some 3D models moving around and have just started to mess around with sound effects. I've been using a 64Drive flash cart to test all my source code compilations, and it has been working really well.

However, I wanted something that could facilitate "Real-Time source code Debugging".
    I recently managed to get a hold of a KuC "PARTNER N64-PC" development system. I have the PARTNER-N64 Cartridge, Ribbon cable and the PC Interface card. No other accessories, Software CD's or manuals came with it. :(

You can check out an elaborate demo here of my coding process using the 64Drive Flash cartridge.
    I open the video with a brief "Show N' Tell" of the PARTNER-N64 system I obtained.

Here is a Stock photo of the PARTNER-N64 PC system.
    [​IMG]
    http://n64devkit.square7.ch/tools/kmc/n64pc.htm

So I'm now here reaching out to you all to see if we can pool our resources and somehow acquire .PDF scans of the Official User Guide's for the KuC "PARTNER-N64 PC" development system. I do realize there is already alot of info out there that lays out setup instructions for this system, however I am hoping to get copies of the official manuals and software disks. Not only for development use, but also for preservation for the community.

There are User Guides for the N64 "EXEGCC Compiler" and also for the Partner-N64 PC system itself...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and also the Software CD's.
    [​IMG]

So I'm hoping to hear back from someone out there.... :)
    Cheers! Folks,

Kind Regards,
    Gerry O'Brien
    http://www.digital-circuitry.com

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Gilgamesh and Rocky like this.
  2. Gerry_MAN

As you can see below....
    the Titles of these User Guide's that I'm looking to get Scans of, are listed within the Online N64 Programming manual as part of the PARTNER-N64 PC tools.

http://n64devkit.square7.ch/kantan/step2/6/6_1.htm

Note the Last two Items on the List:
    The Software CD's are probably a later release of the Debugger...like Version 1.06 as the Image in my original post displayed.

However, as we already have access to an earlier version of the Debugger installer "V1.0 PARTNER-N64 Debugger" from Level42's site:
    http://level42.ca/projects/ultra64/SDKs/Partner64 v1.0.zip

The scans of the two User Guide's would be best to get if anything.
    [​IMG]

Regards,
    -Gerry

Gilgamesh likes this.
  3. level42

level42 Spirited Member

Hey Gerry,

I dropped you a PM, I'll see what I can do for you.

Great work so far!

4. Gerry_MAN

Hi Level42,

Man.... if you work something out yet again....
    that will be pretty Epic!!

-Gerry

5. Gerry_MAN

Hi All,

So I've been doing some more research on the various releases of the PARTNER-N64PC User Guides and Debugger/EXEGCC compiler software disks/CD's..... and just wanted to share my findings with you all.
    If anyone has more concrete info than what I have posted here....please follow up and I'll revise the info for the record.

So from what I have seen to this point, there are (x3) versions of the PARTNER-N64 User Guides that were released. Each is described below:

#1 - PARTNER-N64PC User's Guide (Japanese Version) Page count: ???
    (Document Title/Number: ???? Rev: V?? Year Released: ????)
    For Use with Debugger/exeGCC compiler Version 1.0x

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 - PARTNER-N64PC User's Guide (English Version)
    NUS-06-0091

For Use with Debugger/EXEGCC compiler Version 1.0x
    Released as a Two User Guide set. :

- #1 PARTNER-N64PC User’s Guide Title: NUS-06-0091 REV-A (182 Pages)
    Released: 5/12/1997

- #2 EXEGCC Compiler User’s Guide Title: NUS-06-0160-001A REV-A
    Released 12/31/97

(Sorry Images I found were only in Lo-Res)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both "REV-A" and "REV-B" of these English User Guide versions, were released as a two-Part manual, with chapters on the Partner-N64 hardware Installation, Basics and Hardware setup for the debugging software, and a second manual devoted specifically to the custom EXEGCC compiler for the N64. As for the Japanese Version, we have yet to confirm if there was a second exeGCC compiler manual as part of that Kit.

EDIT : Update...
    @Muramasa was the user that revealed the existence of the, exeGCC compiler User's Guide, as part of the PARTNER-N64PC REV-A manuals.
    Thanks @Muramasa! :cool:

Both the Debugger and the EXEGCC software came with these manuals.
    If you received the Floppy disk format, the whole software package was stored on (x6) Floppy disks.
    - (x4) Floppy disks for the the Debugger.
    - (x2) Floppy disks for the EXEGCC Compiler.
    As shown Below:

[​IMG]

For the CD version, both the Debugger and EXEGCC compiler where stored on one CD.
    As the Partner-N64PC Package details points out....which I posted initially: Link below:

[​IMG]

#3 - PARTNER-N64PC User's Guide (English Version)
    NUS-06-0091 - REV-B

Released: 5/1/1998
    For Use with Debugger/exeGCC compiler Version 1.0x or Later.
    Released as a Two User Guide set. :
    - #1 PARTNER-N64PC User’s Guide Title: NUS-06-0091 - REV-B
    - #2 EXEGCC Compiler User’s Guide (Document Title/Number: ????)
    As shown below:

[​IMG]

This "REV-B" User Guide also came with a single CD for the Debugger and EXEGCC compiler. Usually a later release. (Version 1.08D is shown below.)

Also just to mention 2 PARTNER-N64 CD's were usually given with this system a single (x1) CD for both the Debugger and the EXEGCC compiler, along with a 2nd CD for the N64 OS for PC installation.
    As the link below also specifies:

[​IMG]

So this is what I have found to this point...however, I'm still doing some more research on this.
    I'll follow up if come across any more details.

I've also seen references made to a "Nintendo 64 AUDIO Development Guide". I'm assuming this was for the N64 Audio Tools API library which is compatible with the "NuSystem" and the Partner-N64, at least that from what I have read so far. You can see this manual in the image below. It is sitting in the back, behind the PARTNER-N64 Cartridge. (If anyhow has any more details about this "Nintendo 64 AUDIO Development Guide" or has better photos of it... please follow up.)

[​IMG]
    This image above was taken at the National Video Game Museum.
    Here is the Link where I found this image:
    http://imgur.com/gallery/OdPNi

Anyhow,
    Continuing on with the Hunt!!

Cheers! Folks,
    -Gerry

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Gilgamesh and Rocky like this.
  6. Gerry_MAN

Hi Folks,
    Following up once again... :cool:

As I continued to read through the online documentation, I came across these notes
    regarding the N64 "Audio Developers Guide", I was right that is it part of the N64 Audio Tools system and seems to be only one of many manuals for the N64 Audio Tools Package. Details below:

N64 AUDIO TOOLS: Audio Development Guide
    This guide fully explains the N64 audio system. Because the N64 does not use a sound-generator chip or dedicated DSP, there are no hardware restrictions. You have more flexibility in sound development because almost all audio functions are implemented by software. Because of the power of this software-driven sound system, the programmer and musician need to work together closely to ensure that the audio does not impose on graphics processing. Using this guide, the programmer and musician can make resource allocation choices from the very beginning.

N64 AUDIO TOOLS: User's Guide
    This guide explains how to use the menus and work within the N64 Sound Tools development environment.

N64 AUDIO TOOLS: Programmer's Guide
    This guide fully explains the Music Tools Library including the Music Player and the Audio Manager in addition to the API (application programming interface) for the programmer. The API is designed so that the programmer can play the songs and sound effects generated by the N64 Sound Tools with a minimum of effort. Using the API, the programmer can start, stop, test, pan, and adjust the volume levels of songs and sound effects.

N64 AUDIO TOOLS: Tutorial Guide
    This guide, intended primarily for musicians, explains the flow of sound and music development using the N64 Sound Tools.

The above excerpt was taken from the online N64 dev manual. Link below:
    http://n64devkit.square7.ch/tools/soundt/st_n64fc.htm

We should all keep an eye out for these manuals as well, and hopefully one day share it with the N64 Dev community. \^_^/

Cheers!
    -Gerry

Gilgamesh likes this.
  7. Gerry_MAN

Hi Folks,
    Yet another Additive update....

There is also the "N64 Development Systems Installation Guide" that is made reference to from several documents and online guides.

This is mainly used when first setting up the PARTNER-N64PC and the PARTNER-N64NW dev. systems.
    I'm assuming this has more detailed information surrounding the Installation of the GCC compiler and the OS software.....compared to what is provided in the regular User's Guide.

As shown below:

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    -Gerry

8. Gerry_MAN

Anyone up for some light reading.....?

[​IMG]

For now you can check out this "Unboxing" video I posted on my YouTube Channel.....

Fun Stuff!!
    Cheers!
    -Gerry

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    level42 and Gilgamesh like this.
  9. level42

level42 Spirited Member

That's freaking awesome sauce!!! And just as I finished setting up my scanning/photo booth :p
    [​IMG]

10. Gerry_MAN

Whoooooaaa....NICE!!

Level42....
    You still must share the Japanese User's Guide with us.
    The more we can archive....all the better for the development community.
    ...that's what I say.

Preservation is Key!
    I really hope other's will follow our example.

It's such a waste when they're just sitting on a shelf somewhere. *@#*&@!
    -Gerry

11. level42

level42 Spirited Member

Couldn't agree more ... I'm hoping to get some time this weekend to actually document the book. We shall see how things work out.

12. AnalogDreamsLtd.

AnalogDreamsLtd. Newly Registered

Wow great finds dude!

13. Muramasa

Muramasa Active Member

All it takes is time and the right tools. :)

14. Gerry_MAN

Indeed...
    Now all I have to do is get my scanner back from my buddies place,
    set it up...and then put on a Giant Pot of Coffee. :cool:

15. Muramasa

Muramasa Active Member

One thing to look into is overhead book scanners at libraries and universities. I'm planning to use one at a local university that uses a foot peddle to take the images. Hoping it will be a quick way to go.

16. level42

level42 Spirited Member

Woah, such a thing exists? I'll have to contact my local library then as my method at home simply didn't work out.

17. Muramasa

Muramasa Active Member

https://www.dlsg.com/kic

Look into KIC Scanners. Most likely at large libraries or universities. There isn't a terrific way to search for them just hope that google can pick one up when you search for it with your area. Some places will advertise it as being available.

18. level42

level42 Spirited Member

Hmm, there doesn't seem to be many local places in my area, though I did find a professional service and asked them for a quote. Maybe I'll just buy one of these scanners from BestBuy, use it, then return it. Ha ha ha ha.

[Edit]
    So, the one place near my house, who I contacted, said they will only scan the book if I can prove copywrite ownership, which I can't. Regardless, they said that it would start at about $250 to scan, and increase based on number of pages/quality/output, etc.

Chances are, that this is out of the question, and you may have to deal with my lousy cell phone photos per page setup, which is poop to say the least. Maybe I'll rig up a small simple jig one day to hold the book so I can take better photos ... one day. For now though, I've put the book scanning project on hold as a bunch of other stuff has come up that I need to take care of first. Not exactly sure when I will get to scanning this book, but I won't forget to do it and upload it for everyone.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  19. takensorryuser

takensorryuser Active Member

What about Blue Leaf Book Scanning, would that be an option ? (first 50 pages free and Return Shipping is also free)? it looks to be only about $40 when all is said and done, and they also include a word document of it, along with searchable pdf AND a download link as well. food for thought for archival purposes anyways...

20. Muramasa

Muramasa Active Member

So I did look into Blue Leaf Book Scanning. They seem like they could be a decent option. For me at least I would want to give them a test run with something not important since even with there non-destructive service they mention that the book could be destroyed. Also the price adds up really fast when you have multiple manuals you want to scan. Definitely worth looking into though.