[Request] Lost Spyro: Year of the Dragon Pre-release Materials

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by hwd405, Oct 12, 2018.

1. hwd405

hwd405 Active Member

On my constant search for prerelease screenshots and videos of Spyro: Year of the Dragon I have frequently encountered media which was either not archived or only partially archived. I feel like I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to this sort of content now, so if anyone is in possession of files which I might be interested in but likely haven't seen then I'll be extremely happy to see it.

Obviously, due to how obscure and niche this information is, I'm not really expecting much to come out of this, but it's always worth a try.

To avoid some confusion, I am not looking for anything that has already been documented on The Cutting Room Floor. Some of the media not presented there is known to me but it hasn't been documented on that page due to it not containing any notable differences from the final version of the game.

I'm also not looking for demo builds of the game unless they are also not already documented on The Cutting Room Floor.

The lost content I consider to be the most important is described below, with the most important at the top:

Gamespot Videos
    Gamespot previously hosted five videos of a prototype version of the game but four of them were removed for unknown reasons. All archived versions of the website fail to have archived the video files, so until someone who happens to have downloaded the files comes forth, or unless Gamespot keeps all their content archived somewhere, the videos are lost. The one video which remains on the site does not play due to incompatibility with the video player, but the file can be downloaded and viewed.

Daily Radar Videos
    Daily Radar - now GamesRadar+ - previously hosted a few videos of an unfinished version of the game. After the site changed its branding, the videos were removed, and all archived versions of the preview page fail to have also archived the ftp links which were used to download the files. It's highly likely that the files were downloaded by people, but whether the files still exist on working computers is another question entirely.

Gamepro Screenshots
    The now-defunct Gamepro website also hosted otherwise unseen screenshots of the game, but the versions of the website which were archived where the Spyro 3 page is accessible fail to have archived all the screenshots. Unless some of these screenshots were saved and preserved, they're lost.

Gameinformer Screenshots
    None of the screenshots on Spyro 3's preview page were archived, and it's entirely unknown what they could be. It's possible but unconfirmed that some of these screenshots were used in their publication, though.

Gamefan Screenshots
    Half the Spyro 3 preview on Gamefan's site is missing from the archive as are all the screenshots. There were also apparently videos as seen in the sidebar here but they've never surfaced. The screenshots were unlikely to be the generic / official screenshots that many sites used around this time as they were also able to provide videos of the game and their magazine clearly shows screenshots from an incomplete version of the game.

Spyro: Year of the Dragon also had a booth at E3 2000 but only a couple videos and photographs clearly showing the booth have surfaced. Of course I am always interested in seeing more content from the E3 booth but this fits less with the file downloads theme of this subforum, I think.

Any other files relating to the development of Spyro: Year of the Dragon that you think I might be interested in are also more than welcome here.

Thank you very much in advance!

Sgabbit likes this.
  2. hwd405

hwd405 Active Member

Bumping. Small updates to both the Gamespot and Gamepro content:
    • The Gamespot admins inform me that they're currently working on a project to revive many old videos on the site. Unfortunately, due to the fact that many of the videos were deleted when they changed the website layout, it is likely that the only Spyro movie that will be fixed is the one that's still on the site. I asked if they had kept old videos in some sort of internal archive but I got no response to it, so I assume no such archive exists. This sadly means that recovering the videos is a lot harder than it could've been, and it may indeed be the case that the videos are permanently lost.
    • I found some Spyro pages on a later version of the Gamepro site, but the screenshot page was totally inaccessible, so it hasn't made recovering those lost screenshots a possibility. Once again, permanent loss is a likely possibility.

3. hwd405

hwd405 Active Member

Bumping, just in case.

4. hwd405

hwd405 Active Member

Bumping. There have been no new developments in prototype or prerelease materials of any of the original Spyro trilogy games for a few months now, so any help filling any of these gaps would be greatly appreciated.

AntDRAG and Traace like this.
  5. dannygranger

dannygranger Spirited Member

I have the gamespot vids (among other games) as I used to always download that stuff for viewing later back when the net at home wasn't so good. I'll upload them somewhere at the weekend if I remember to do so!

AntDRAG and hwd405 like this.
  6. hwd405

hwd405 Active Member

Fantastic! You don't have to upload all of them because the one which wasn't missing has already been uploaded to YouTube but whatever you do upload will be greatly appreciated by many people!

7. hwd405

hwd405 Active Member

Any update on the videos? Where are you planning on uploading them?
    ---
    After this update I think I'll make an updated version of the original post, to include a few missing and updated bits of information. In particular, there's a large group of screenshots which might have been released through press kits, or something - most of the images have been recovered in some format, but it looks like there's still one missing. I doubt one screenshot will be very exciting, but it's probably worth adding anyway, to make it easier to track which materials are still lost.

8. dannygranger

dannygranger Spirited Member

Bad news I'm afraid. :(

PC they're on doesn't start up. It's an old Pentium III that's been sitting in the corner for years alongside other old PC's and just seems to have given up. Gave it a good clean out with the DataVac, but it just doesn't power on. I was just going to take the hard drive out and put it on my current PC, but the hard drive on the P3 is prehistoric, IDE I think and all I have on the current board is SATA.

Sorry. I was really hoping to contribute to this thread after all the agonizing bumps and all I can do is give this sad report. :(

9. hwd405

hwd405 Active Member

That's really disappointing :( I'm see if you've downloaded them then someone else has too, though looking for that person might be really tricky.

Do you know if there's any way to convert SATA to IDE? If the hard drive still functions any data that was still on it can probably be recovered with the right adaptors. I'm not certain but they might still make cases that convert IDE to USB so it can be used as an external HDD.

10. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

You can use a sata-ide converter you know. You can also get a USB solution but that's up to you.
    There's many adapters for this.

good and hwd405 like this.
  11. hwd405

hwd405 Active Member

Hopefully they see this thread next time they log in - all hope is not lost

At the very least this makes me very hopeful that the rest of the videos I mentioned in the OP were downloaded at some point, too. Knowing how or where to reach out to people is the hard part, though, and I'm really not sure where the best place to look for these things is.

12. hwd405

hwd405 Active Member

Bumping

13. hwd405

hwd405 Active Member

Bumping, and a small update:

GameSpot have now fixed the video on their site - the audio is de-synced, so the YouTube upload is still superior, obvs. But it's cool that they got around to fixing some of the broken vids. The remaining videos are still lost, however, so anyone with any information on them whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

14. hwd405

hwd405 Active Member

One last bump before the forum shuts down.
    It's a bit frustrating that at one point we very nearly made serious progress here, but other things got in the way. Now it looks like I'll have to find somewhere else to look for the remaining scraps of prerelease content, but I've appreciated the time people have given in responding to - or even just reading - this thread. It means a lot.

Sgabbit likes this.