[REQ] Metrowerks CodeWarrior for Nintendo 64 (Any Ver)

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by Schplee, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Schplee

Schplee Member

Hello, I know this is my first post, on a brand new account, but I've been lurking the forums for quite a long time now. After searching for days, even weeks, through random servers, ancient websites, archived japanese/russian forum posts, I've yet to come across a CD image/installer of CodeWarrior for the N64. I would be absolutely ecstatic if anyone had any information on where I could find it, or had access to the files. If you do, please share anything you know, or better yet, the files themselves. My PMs are also open!

The closest I could find was an updater, but obviously it requires the base installation of CodeWarrior for N64 to operate. Thank you to any and all who reply, I really hope that the files surface!

File I own: "Updates for CodeWarrior for Nintendo 64 R1"
    Ebay Auction (incredibly expensive): http://www.ebay.com/itm/322326404052
    Picture reference from auction: [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Chagosan and pool7 like this.
  2. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

Same here, I've been looking for the same for years now.
    I've only seen it in that ebay auction you got the picture from, but it's way too expensive and would never arrive to my place.
    Interestingly, there's (at least) 3 versions: DR1, R1 and R2. The update you have is for R1. The white disc in the picture seems to indicate there was a patch for R2 as well, but I couldn't find it.

While we wait for some kind soul to share this, here's one thing you can try with the R1 update you have:
    <see correct instructions to extract R1 udpate in my post below>
    It is still incomplete, but maybe some stuff works.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  3. ard1998

ard1998 Beginning N64 Coder

i tried that, but it only seems to be a program that checks if codewarrior for n64 is installed and it will update that files.

maybe we can try to crack the installer and see if it contains the full program, for the case that it is rewriting all existing files to make sure everything works.

4. pool7

Maybe i misremember; maybe you have to use uniextract directly, maybe even twice. I don't have it handy, but will confirm later when i'm back home.
    But i assure you i did it and it worked, got all the files as if i had installed it.

5. Schplee

Schplee Member

I had never heard of Uniextract, nice program. When I extract the updater it spits out a bunch of files, and from what I can tell, the file that contains the important stuff is a .cab file, not a cabinet file, but the format used by InstallShield. Uniextract prompts you to use 3 different plugins to try to extract the files, but 2 fail, and the 3rd doesn't work for me. I'll attempt to get the 3rd option working. Do you have much experience with Uniextract and .cab files?

6. pool7

Ok, just got home and double-checked it; here's the procedure:
    -Run Uniextract on CW_N64_R1_US_Update2.exe
    -At the prompt, choose:
    Not an installshield installer
    -Once you have all the setup files extracted, run uniextract on both data1.cab and data1.hdr
    You will get a new folder called data1 with data1.cab and data1.hdr (different size from before)
    -Run uniextract on the newly extracted data1.cab
    This time it will extract the contents to a folder, as if you've installed the update
    -Profit (?)

For those that want the quick route, here's the extracted files:
    https://mega.nz/#!eQ50xKoT!h3AoS3-i6EXgNHTUDXSJkWMEoCR-vL20_H2lkI6QBeI

PS: This is based on CodeWarrior IDE 3.3 (from CodeWarrior Pro 4.x). Maybe some missing files can be copied from it...
    If any of you has a N64 dev environment setup and is willing to give it a try, I'll gladly help in anyway I can to get this working.

PSS: Found notes from back when I originally tried this:
    -To get IDE.exe to run:
    copy ASINTPPC.dll, CPPEXC.DLL, lmgr326b.dll and PluginLib2.dll from another CodeWarrior (I tried with CW PS1 R5 and it worked)
    -To get IO64.exe to run:
    copy/move HuN64CTRL.dll from main folder to bin folder
    Throws error: "Target can't open!", but still runs

Chagosan likes this.
  7. Schplee

Schplee Member

Excellent work! However, I wasn't able to replicate your results with the instructions you provided. Would it matter than I'm using Uniextract 2?
    [EDIT]
    Using the version you linked fixed it!

8. pool7

Never heard of Uniextract v2... latest official version, AFAIK, is 1.6.1, which is what I used. Maybe v2 is a fork?
    Here's the official page: http://www.legroom.net/software/uniextract

These may be worth looking at as next steps:
    -Look for and read text files looking for other files that may be missing
    -Run Dependency walker or similar tool in executable (and DLL?) files to find further missing files
    -Compare to other CodeWarriors from the same time (CodeWarrior for PS1 R5 with latest update, CodeWarrior for Net Yaroze R2 with latest update, CodeWarrior Pro v4 with latest update, etc) and see other common files that may be missing
    -Try to use it and see what works and what doesn't

9. Schplee

Schplee Member

Your help has been invaluable. I will continue to dig into the files and compare various CodeWarrior versions. I don't have much hope, because I believe there are some N64 specific plugins/dlls that are missing, but I won't give up until I've thoroughly exhausted what the "CW for N64 Update" files can do.

[EDIT] Dependency Walker spit out this: http://pastebin.com/a21mS0eW
    I think that means no dice lol. That is a gargantuan list of missing dependencies. I'm not sure if some are due to me being on Windows 10, and not Windows 9x. Also, I tried various "mixes" of files between CW for PS1 and the CWN64Update files, and each variation produces the same error when trying to build an N64 project in CodeWarrior.

[​IMG]
    The IDE proceeds to crash afterwards.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  10. pool7

Yeah, a quick comparison indicates we're missing the compiler DLLs (ie. /bin/compiler folder), among others.
    There was a CodeWarrior for MIPS that included a compiler for various MIPS processors, including R4300 (the N64 processor); however I don't have it, and I'm not sure if using the DLL from that would work.

I guess we'll have to wait and hope for someone to share the actual CodeWarrior for N64.

11. Schplee

Schplee Member

I think so as well. The updater probably only contains the updated files (...obviously) rather than full support for N64 development. So it'll probably crash no matter what versions of CodeWarrior we jerry-rig.

12. Schplee

Schplee Member

Bumping for interest :)

pool7 likes this.
  13. Schplee

Schplee Member

Amorri40 and pool7 like this.