[REQ] Dreamcast Archive

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by LordFenixNC, Sep 4, 2014.

1. wombat

wombat SEGA!

The System Disc 2 image that is out there does boot, but doesn't do any of the magic. Plus booting the .GDI with a ODE kinda defeats the purpose since you can't pop-in an actual GD-R beta disc after the image has been loaded ;)

2. RaZiel

RaZiel Enthusiastic Member

Yes you can my G1-ATA allows me to still use my optical drive but no other others are full GD-ROM replacements

3. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

The sd2 does not need anything special to boot, but it doesn't allow to boot gd-r either if ran from a mil-cd, as the magic is elsewhere (in the ring I think). That said, it's not too hard nowadays to dumps gd-r using a serial sd cable.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  4. RaZiel

Nah just don't have my SD2 anymore but have a handful of GDR disc. Wasn't talking about loading the CDR as I know its a turd Belokk released it years ago shortly after (maybe just before) propeller arena.

5. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

I still don't think you are getting how the System Disc 2 works. The software on the System Disc 2 literally is just a basic program that displays the word "Complete" on the screen then reboot when a disc is swapped in. That's all the binary does. You don't even need to load the program for the "magic" to happen.

The GD-ROM drive is normally locked to not recognize GDs that are missing the "security ring." The System Disc 2 has a unique security ring that tells the GD-ROM drive to unlock and stay permanently unlocked until the system is powered off. Like I said, you don't even need to execute the disc, just insert it. You can boot the Dreamcast to the system menu, put the disc in, and take it right back out without even starting the disc up, and the "magic" will still happen, you can still swap in a GD-R, because the drive identified the unique security ring and went into the unlock mode.

All of this works at the drive firmware level, so loading a GDI dump from a different drive (the G1-ATA) will do the exact same thing as a MIL-CD would, absolutely nothing.

6. -=FamilyGuy=-

That makes me think. It'd be nice if someone could reverse engineer that ring (should be too hard to do for cybdyn/deunan if they got a hold of it) and implement it in GD-IDE-ADV! To get a "allows GD-R" option.

Maybe DreamShell could actually do it using GD-IDE, idk if the slave disc on the bus could fool the gd-rom firmware into thinking that it read the ring.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  7. mjrpain

mjrpain Member

is there a way to raw read any ring on dc and save it?

8. RaZiel

Had a System 2 disc used it to dump Dave Mirra beta that is floating around. Totally for about the needing to "swap" once the disc is loaded. Had to sell it a while back and didn't sell a few disc. I can get them to boot swapping for the three track disc.as the TOC is the same.

9. -=FamilyGuy=-

I guess a good engineer could do a man in the middle attack and figure out what the lens reads. Else a swap trick is possible to read the ring on pc. Cracking the gd-rom board firmware would also give insights on how to fake it being read. Probably that a custom program running on DC could read the ring if it's possible to gain sufficiently low-level control over the gd-rom board too. But there's no easy way.

If someone needs to dump GD-R using an SD card, I can help with that. There's a swap trick I developed with dot50cal some years ago that'd be adaptable to sd-card easily, if fact I think someone did it but I don't recall exactly. Also iirc the sd-ripper by jj1odm could read gd-r TOC after a swap withou issue, but that memory is fuzzy and I don't have a gd-r to check.

FG

10. RaZiel

I am the one that ripped with the SD adapter posted a YouTube video doing it.

11. Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic Spirited Member

Thanks Fenix! Anyone know of any torrents for the JP GDI dumps? All of the ones I find have no seeders.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  12. Friend of Sonic

So I finished the US downloads and noticed there isn't a GDI for Omikron The Nomad Soul. Do you have one to upload? I'm searching now but so far all I can find are cdi.

13. LordFenixNC

LordFenixNC Peppy Member

It isn't in trurip I have.. But it is in tosec. I'll upload what I can on weekend only time the net wont be used for work

14. Friend of Sonic

Awesome. You are a champion amongst mere men. Thank you sir.

15. Treamcaster

Treamcaster Intrepid Member

Anyone got Dreamcast Express vol. 6?

16. RaZiel

I have dumped all of them, it is in TOSEC now and added to Trurip next update. If I had internet I would post it for you b it at least you know where to find it

17. Treamcaster

Treamcaster Intrepid Member

Thanks man and kudos to you for dumping these discs.
    Since I am new to pleasuredome and have no ratio I can't seem to download the biggest TOSEC or Trurip torrent files. I'll await LordFenix Dreamcast Express uploads on Mega. This is a good initiative.

18. Friend of Sonic

Hey Fenix,
    Any chance on Omikron being uploaded this weekend?

19. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

so how much actual space does this all take up

20. LordFenixNC

LordFenixNC Peppy Member

I am very sorry guys... in the middle of a VERY bad break up... and my whole rig is sitting in a car... trying to find a new place... or trying to find out if im still staying here... WHOLE lot of BS and do apologize... will get back into FULL upload MODE as soon as possible...