Replacement DVD drive belt?

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by americandad, Dec 7, 2018.

1. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Do you guys know a good place to get one of these?
    Ideally, I'd like to know the proper dimensions for such a belt, so that I won't have to search for "original xbox drive belt".
    Also, are they different dependent on the drive make & model?

[​IMG]

2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You can buy a massive assortment from ebay or aliexpress. Then just match it up. They are pretty generic

3. americandad

Of course. But it would be nice to know the actual name and dimensions of such a belt. :)

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Just measure it. They don't have names. They have a size. Get some calipers and measure. Or just get an assortment bunch and match it which is easier.

Drives can be different. It's not one size for all drives.

5. americandad

Exactly, my dear, hence this "Also, are they different dependent on the drive make & model?"

6. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Hence just get the assortment.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    irvgotti452 likes this.
  7. americandad

I kind of get the feeling that you're mostly out to be "right" than to actually be helpful. Because all of the things you've said so far isn't something that I already didn't know. Thanks for trying to help, I guess?

8. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

No, just your post came across as an attempt to be patronising. So it was replied in the same manner.

You want belts for multiple drives, you won't know what belts you need until you open it. Assortments of belts are dirt cheap and will cover basically any drive you come across. If you buy even like 2 belts seperately, you may as well have bought the assortment.

If you knew this already, you already had the most sensible answer before posting. Else you can measure the existing belt to get its dimensions to order individually should you so choose.

9. Nully

Nully Intrepid Member

It's just a piece of rubber, you either buy a $3 pair of calipers off eBay or pay a high markup for the guy who did it himself and sells it under the laymen term which likely isn't to exist due to no interest. He is giving you the absolute best possible advice here. There's also several different drive manufacturers with different size belts that "original xbox DVD drive belt" doesn't mean anything.

Here's another option to shrink it back to shape, but doesn't always work.

https://www.hunker.com/12474459/how-to-shrink-rubber-seals

10. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Just to point out, I'm not trying to "be right" as i do understand im not actually answering the question you asked.

Just that the question you are asking is not required if you do the most sensible and economical route.