Replace DVD drive on RGH2 360 slim?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by zzattack, Jan 29, 2017.

1. zzattack

zzattack Spirited Member

I've got a 360 slim with open tray issue, i.e. it doesn't read any discs. I do have a few spare drives, but I'm reading that if the drive and some key stored on the NAND doesn't match, it won't load games from the optical drive.
    My question is simply whether this still applies if the xbox were to have a cr4 or ace v3 installed. Would I still need to make sure dvdkey matches with what's in NAND?
    Also, if I take the DVD drive from a dead console, can Xell still obtain the DVD key if the drive is installed on another motherboard?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  2. djc5166

djc5166 Member

Pretty sure you have to flash the DVD key to the new drive.

3. zzattack

zzattack Spirited Member

Seems you are right indeed. I've RGH'd the box now with this ace v3 chip (why did I ever pay $40+ for TX CR4 is beyond me now!) and I've got the dvd key for this box. I do have an exactly matching replacement drive so no issue there. Hopefully I don't need special hardware to flash the DVD drive then.

4. djc5166

djc5166 Member

I haven't kept up on the current 360 info. I have a JTAG falcon from waaay back.

I remember older drive revisions were easy to read/write firmware on. Newer drives needed traces cut or an entire pcb addon bored soldered in in order to access the firmware. I think the later slim consoles needed to be RGH'd to get the DVD key from the nand, because it wasn't available from the dvd drive.

Surely someone around here has much more info than me.

5. zzattack

zzattack Spirited Member

Well, I do have the DVD key of the faulty one now. I'm not even sure writing this key is done externally or not. I must not be looking in the right places because I haven't found definitive answers yet :)

6. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

well you are not spoofing the drive right?

Just swap the drive PCB's around or swap the controllers..

What is actually wrong with the drive? Bad laser pickup? Fried motor controller?

You haven't mentioned any boot errors so I assume the controller and it's flash are ok (it's communicating with the console)

7. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Early Trinity slims you could get the key using a Wasabi ODDE or I think the xk3y

8. zzattack

zzattack Spirited Member

Bought the xbox a long time ago with an 'open tray failure', i.e. it doesn't recognize discs. I could tell the xbox was opened before by an idiot (broken clips everywhere, reassembled poorly) but no traces of soldering on the mobo or even any signs of him reaching the drive itself. I'm guessing he gave up before he got that far.. :)
    As for the drive, it spins up for a second or 2 but quickly seems to decide there's nothing in it it can read.

9. L2000

L2000 (",)

What's the drive type and fw revision?First try cleaning the drives laser with IPA,if that doesn't work onto next check. If drive is firmware flashable then just copy over drive keys and write to target drive (might need sputnik or kamikaze unlock) ,if not try installing laser from new drive to the older one , you could also get this error on a kamikaze failed unlocked or failing unlock.Either of these ways you would still have to open the Xbox and the drives .Pist a pic if the drives have been opened already , I'm sure more people would be able to give some more advice then . Latest revision drives cannot be flashed there's no getting around replacement PCB's for that though.

10. zzattack

zzattack Spirited Member

It's a liteon with 0225 firmware. Opening isn't the problem as I've already RGH'd the box now. Even if the drive won't work it'll be somewhat useful. I should've mentioned that cleaning the laser was the very first thing I did, but to no avail.
    I'm now searching for a pc with supported chipset for jungleflasher.

11. L2000

L2000 (",)

I would first try putting in the laser from the donor drive just to rule out that that is the problem then I would go the FW flashing route, if it's a 0225 a hardware unlock is going to be needed if the donor PCB /Drive hasn't been unlocked already before . Make sure you have your keys and necessary files dumps of original drive for flashing, although most of these can be patched into the RGH nand image it'll save you a lot of time having to manually do these if you already have what you need before starting the process.

12. Killah

Killah Active Member

Just buy a new laser or switch ur pcb off bad drive to a good one

james2452 likes this.
  13. piratebox

piratebox Spirited Member

Haven't been in the 360 scene in a while but I'm pretty sure you can just make a new nand and place the key in.

14. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Gutsy Member

L2000 is your man for this job. There's nothing he doesn't know about 360 drives. First the OP needs to identify the drive model as the process for swapping a 16d4s pcb is different to a 16d5s or hitachi DL10N.

L2000 likes this.
  15. zzattack

zzattack Spirited Member

I have a 16d4s pcb with 0225 fw on it.

So we got 3 options:
    a) move over dvd pcb
    b) rewrite the dvd key on the dvd drive
    c) patch the nand to trick it into using dvd key of another drive
    Then I've come across some unlock/kamikaze stuff but that seems both expensive and unnecessary seeing as I have another identical working drive.

I'm more interested in learning about b) and c) so I'm keeping a) as a backup solution for now. Now this lite-on apparently isn't easily rewritable with jungleflasher, so I'm now looking into c). For that I'll at least need the DVD key from the donor, which I do not yet have. But I've managed to set up an old PC with Win7, and JungleFlasher recognizes the IDE controller and identified the drive. But reading the DVD key fails, for now. Not sure why, I'll try with my donor next.

16. L2000

L2000 (",)

If it's not the laser on your existing drive that's in the Xbox ,it's definitely your PCB that's at fault , if the new replacement drive hasn't been flashed before you'd still have to do either kamikaze or Sputnik unlock , see which 0225 you have (Winbond or MXIC) , it's better to have a full fw dump from existing drive , as you said you have the keys already .You can patch the nand to work with your new drive but it won't play backups unless it's been flashed with LT fw,so you'd still end up with having to do the unlock in any case.Liteons are notorious for not working with onboard PC Sata chipsets.

17. piratebox

piratebox Spirited Member

But why would you use backup disks if it's already hacked?

18. L2000

L2000 (",)

Technically he wouldn't need it to play backups from hard drive(internal or external) , all that would be needed is for him to slim key his donor drive to get the key , patch that and all other needed patches to NAND ,flash NAND and he'd be on his way . If he wanted the OSIG that was in the 360 he would have to write the original drive details to the donor , Hardware Unlock is needed for this if you are going through the trouble of unlocking a drive you might as well write LT fw to it , it would allow him the ability to then read backups from the DVD drive as well . It's not a necessity though.

zzattack likes this.
  19. zzattack

zzattack Spirited Member

Ok, so a bit later than I had hoped but obtaining all the necessary hardware took a little while with shipping and me not being entirely focused on it, but I got it done with the advice in the replies above.
    First I tried swapping the pcb but that resulted in either hanging as soon as I'd open the tray, or more of the 'no disc' issue.
    What I then did was use the dvd drive from a dead xbox that I once bought before. It was a 0272 locked drive with mx chip, so I needed to do this sputnik unlock. Pretty painless once I had the right VIA card. That gave me the dvdkey and obviously I also put xtreme fw on it. Then I loaded jrunner with the dumped nand, loaded in the cpukey that I obtained when I first RGH'd the console and patched the KV with the dvd key that I had obtained from the donor drive. Also ticked the nofcrt box, but I'm not really sure what this does precisely. Anyway, after writing the updated NAND image the system now recognizes my originals and at least one backup.
    Mission complete, thanks guys!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Taijigamer2 likes this.