Release: Shenmue 1 BETA 0.400

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by shendream, May 8, 2011.

1. Codeman

Codeman GasPanic bouncer

Thank you for the link! However I dont think the guy has the slightest idea about what he's talking about :D I think the easiest way would be grabbing US Shenmue and swappign the audio (adx?) files with the original JPN chapter 1 files and rebuilding the image.

2. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yeah I agree, it doesn't seem like he knows what it would actually take to mod Shenmue. I know a lot of folks want it made though, so it is only a matter of time really before it gets done I think.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  3. Mystical

Mystical Resolute Member

nice release, thanks alot, will be checking this out at the weekend!

4. mathieulh

mathieulh Problem Solver

5. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

I've asked this same question (I can't play the game with that dub) and I was told that it's tougher than you'd assume. There are differences in the way sound assets are organised on the disc between the two versions, basically, so it would take a lot of work and testing to get right. It's not just a case of copying one lot of audio files out of one disc and replacing them in the other.

6. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Robust Member

Someone has actually created the opposite though, a version of Shenmue II with English speech. Not to say that they are necessarily similar, of course.

Brilliant stuff with the GDI version!

7. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

An undub would be easy as long as the devs kept the same filenames for both languages. Only a matter of extracting the adx/ahx from the afs then copy the new languages files over the old language files (make a condition that it copies the file only if there's a target file to overwrite) then build back the afs and selfboot it again.

Of course the lips won't sync the speech then.

FG

8. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  9. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Pretty sure it was Tux who told me they weren't. Might be wrong there, it was a year or so ago.

10. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

I think effort would be a bit much to make it even happen. Plus I don't think the mouth movements would sync as well as I think they had to be slightly adjusted for the western release.

11. -=FamilyGuy=-

Well, it's not that hard, if I had the time I'd do it in a few hours. I know Smith did it for ShenmueII using my directions.

Yeah most of the sound files are called the same on both languages.
    And no, at least for shenmueII, it's not synced to lips. Maybe the lips movement files could be transfered too, but I don't know which ones they are.

12. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Would it be possible to use the Japanese version, and just convert the menu and subitles from the English version? I don't know the technicalities involved, or how different the files are on the 2 versions, but wouldn't that be easier to do?

13. -=FamilyGuy=-

Yes it'd be easier of course! For a real shenmue game, however for the beta you have no jap voice and no beta JAP files ...

So if you want a version in jap you'll need to change the voice files ...

14. Jenkins

Jenkins Spirited Member

I'm looking for a .cdi of the Passport BETA. Is it already converted?

15. good

good Spirited Member

16. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

err, that's my video. Nothing there that we didn't already know I'm afraid. The codes are posted on the first page of this thread while the various debug options are entered using button combinations on a controler in port 4. I think the button combinations are mntioned somewhere in this thread as well. I would check but I'm typing this on the phone and we all know what a pain in the arse it is to go back through pages on a phone or a tablet even.

yakumo

17. good

good Spirited Member

ok, thanks)

18. neoblast

neoblast Robust Member

Thank you very much for this, As soon as I get some cds I'm gonna mess up with it, any chances the bike might still be there on this build or triggered through debug?

19. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Since I don't think this thing has been thoroughly explored yet, there could always be a chance. No one can really say yes or no at the moment I'd assume.

20. Codeman

Codeman GasPanic bouncer

uhm anyone got this working in nullDC?

I have no blank CD's ATM and would really like to give this a spin but I never tried (or needed) to emulate the Dreamcast before.

It's freezing on the "licensed by SEGA" screen, tried with a commercial BIOS and some KATANA bios that I probably got from here some time ago xD