Release date for NES version of Everdrive 8N?

Discussion in 'Everdrive N8' started by sheath, Mar 8, 2013.

1. sheath

sheath Spirited Member

Sorry if I missed the announcement but I have searched and have not seen it anywhere. I noticed on Retrogate that the Famicom version is available, and I have seen discussion of the NES version coming up soon. Is there a release date yet? I'm saving my pennies and raiding the kid's piggy bank to get ready but I would really like to know when to expect this awesome thing.

Also, has there been any discussion about the front loader style NES and how freaking huge the cartridge shell is for that thing? I'm guessing this will be my first everdrive that I have to dedicate a single SD card to just because there will be no way to access the card without opening the shell.

2. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Or you could mode the front loading NES to have a pass through SD card slot? Or have it sticking out on the front top a'la Action Replay connector for NES so the SD card could be removed without taking the cart out. It depends on how it's designed.

Personally I don't see the problem. You could probably fit the entire NES library on a single 512mb and still have some room left.

3. XiTaU

XiTaU Active Member

He will be selling the nes version with a shell if i remember correctly and will probably have a slot cut in the side for access to the micro sd as for release date i remember reading he was hopeing for march/april so shouldnt be too long now.

4. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Slot on the side? Then you can't change the SD card while it's inside toaster NES deck :/

5. sheath

sheath Spirited Member

Yeah, it isn't really a problem, it just adds a little to the cost of the NES Everdrive. I use my Micro SD Card currently with the Turbo ED and ED 64, and my standard SD card is for my Super ED, ED MD and Master ED. I was hoping to just add the small (file wise) NES library to one of my existing cards.

6. XiTaU

XiTaU Active Member

why not spend under under $5 on a 4gb sd and u can just eject the game its not that difficult u can put it back in after and will take u an extra 5 secs

7. sheath

sheath Spirited Member

Why is the group acting like I was making a mountain out of this molehill? I said I supposed keeping the card in the ED once the shell is over it would be the only way, but would be happy if that were not the case.

So, is there any hint on when we can expect the NES version of this Everdrive?

8. adimifus

adimifus <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

I don't think anybody is really making a big deal about it. The Famicom version has a slot in the cart, so I'm sure the NES version will also. Since the front loading and top loading NES are drastically different, it wouldn't surprise me if you would have to remove the cart to get at the SD card if you have a front loader. Especially considering the size of NES carts, and the location of the slot on the Famicom version.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  9. sheath

sheath Spirited Member

Ah, I missed that. Thanks for reposting. Yeah, hopefully the side thing will work out for the Micro SD card. I would probably still dedicate its own card to the NES ED though, because my cartridge port pins are pretty finicky and I haven't bothered to replace them. I wonder if I get the ED set just right if it will always fire up, or if I'll have to do the NES dance still. ;)

10. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

n8 nes version release date moved to min-end april. It will use standard size push-push sd slot, like in sd2snes

11. sheath

sheath Spirited Member

Awesome, thank you for the update KRIKzz.

12. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Do we have a revised date for this KRIKzz?

13. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

My guess is it will be soon, he asked me how many boards I wanted to reserve from the first batch last week.

14. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

15. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Rising Member

16. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Booo on back order already :(

17. reprep

reprep Gutsy Member

don't worry, it was on back-order from the start. krikzz said he needs some time for assembly.

18. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Ah cool, order one anyway. Noticed this in the description...

"Only Famicom can output expansion sound without modification. NES systems require modification to support this feature." What is expansion sound and how can a PAL NES be modded to support this?

19. reprep

reprep Gutsy Member

some famicom games have extra sound channels not found in nes. to use them you have to modify your PAL NES.

though there is a bigger problem, even if you modify your PAL NES for expansion sound, you will play all your famicom ntsc-j games about 20% slower. that is true for ntsc-u american games too. because of the 50 hz/60 hz difference.

that is a bigger problem than expansion sound i guess. at least for me.

20. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

Most games that use "expansion sound" also will not be compatible with your PAL system anyway. Games that use expansion sound are all NTSC and all of the ones I can think of use CPU based timers for raster effects which are not going to work for PAL timing.